Two Under 2

When you were pregnant with LO#2....

Were you able to pick up and hold LO#1 throughout your entire pregnancy?  If not, at what point did you have to stop?

Just curious...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When you were pregnant with LO#2....

• I carried DD1 like normal right up until the day I went in for induction at 38w6d. My doctor okay'd it since my body was used to carrying her (and she only weighed about 22-23lbs tops at the end of my pregnancy). I tend to carry my pregnancies small, though, so my belly doesn't usually get in the way of anything except getting close enough to the sink to was dishes, LOL.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep, I was able to cart my 30lb toddler around until the day of my c-section. It wasn't too bad, but by his bedtime I was certainly ready to put my feet up. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was still able to carry him, it did get tough/awkward in the end but it was fine. I did have more sciatic pain pelvic pain also, so I tried to limit it. But you gotta do what you gotta do! 

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• DD1 is quite the demanding little thing so I didn't have much choice :) She was 23 months when DD2 was born and I never felt like I was overdoing it by holding her. 
  • DS was 31 lbs at his check up 2 weeks after I gave birth.

I COULD hold him, but it was just an awkward positioning, and I got tired easily. I did a lot of holding his hand and having him walk, but if he got tired I'd pick him up just fine.

• I could hold DS1 when I needed to up until bed rest at 35 weeks. But several weeks before that I started limiting the holding while standing to only when necessary like going upstairs, through a parking lot, etc. And picking up was whenever needed as well, such as in and out of car, crib, changing table. 
  • I carried my #1 right up until the day I had my 2nd. I didn't find it uncomfortable but I also delivered 5 weeks early and was really small. And my #1 was only 18lbs when my 2nd was born. 
  • I carried her the whole time.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • This is very interesting!  I never thought I'd have a problem holding DS (he's just over 20lbs), but I do notice I get winded a whole lot easier and get quite achey.  Earlier this week I had ended up being monitored for early contractions.. by the time I got in to see MFM, they had tapered off (when I finally called the OB, they were 8-12 minutes apart!!) and my cervix looked good, but she did say that part of it could be from carrying DS all the time since anything over 15lbs is considered "heavy lifting".  She recommended I try and carry him as little as possible, but, honestly, how do you NOT carry a 7 month old all the time?? It's physically not possible, unless someone else is with me.. and, even then.. he's my baby!! I want to be the one holding him.. point being, I was really surprised to find out that carrying him around could have been the cause for my scare.. so, if you're finding it really difficult to carry around your ToT.. listen to your body's cues and try and get someone to help you out a bit if you can :) 
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • I was told to stop lifting him at 18 weeks when I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa. I tried to avoid it as much as possible, but still occasionaly picked him up. At 31 weeks I had a bleed and was put on bed rest. At this point I couldn't lift him at all. It sucked but was worth it in the end.

If I wouldn't have had the previa I'm assuming I could have pick him up throughout the whole pregnancy.

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did for the entire pregnancy. It was exhausting and cumbersome, but I could do it. DD1 was 19.5 months when DD2 was born, so she was already walking up/down stairs and running everywhere on her own, so I just had to pick her up to put her in the crib, high chair, car seat, and for when she wanted to cuddle.

ETA: DD1 was about 24 pounds when I was at my biggest.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I never had to stop. DD1 was almost 22 months when her sister was born. She probably was around 30 lbs by then. Never was an issue for me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was fine to pick her up the whole pregnancy, but near the end i didn't want to carry her around the house or around the store, just because i was too tired and already carrying her sister. 
  • imagehocus:
    I pick up my kid the whole time. I did try to avoid bedtime in the last month because my big belly made it really hard to put my kid in the crib.

This. I had to put her sleepsack on outside the crib and then put her in because I couldn't bend over the railing of the crib far enough to reach her when she was laying down. Usually I just tried to get DH to do bedtime duty. :-) DD1 was about 23 lbs at the end of my pregnancy and I was still lifting her. My MIL felt the need to comment on it every.single.time she saw me lifting her, but seriously, what else was I going to do? I didn't feel like I was overdoing it.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I carried DS1 my whole pregnancy with DS2 he was about 25lbs. I'm now pregnant with LO #3 and am carrying DS1 as needed, he weighs 30 lbs. My dr said just to listen to my body. If my back hurts I set him down. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i'm due in four weeks and still carry my LO (15 months, 25 pounds), although not a ton cause i have back/shoulder problems unrelated to being pregnant. i'll pick him up but try to spend more time holding him while sitting down. plus i'm trying to get him used to me not always being able to pick him up on demand.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am 37 weeks pg and still carry DD around (she's about 25 pounds) without a problem.  It is tough for me to get her out of her crib if she's not standing up and diaper changes can be a challenge, but other than that it's fine.
  • It was a struggle at the end, but yes. 
  • My DD is about 25 lbs.  I never had any issue with holding her.  Also, she conveniently wouldn't stay in her crib when I was about 5 months, so we switched to a toddler bed. I was already struggling with getting her in the crib.  At the end, I she realized if she laid flat on the floor, it was hard for me to pick her up, so she did this during tantrums.

• I'm still carrying DS at almost 35 weeks. I use my belly almost as a shelf. I definitely notice that I have more back pain on the weekends when I'm around him more, therefore carrying him more, than during the week.  The doctor wasn't concerned with me lifting him though and he's just shy of 25 pounds.
  • Yep I start limiting it when I'm uncomfortable so that the girls get used to me not carrying them everywhere but I do still wear them often and lots of sitting down cuddles. Right now my 16 month old and my 3 year old weigh less than 5 pounds difference and both are under the 40 pound limit my dr has set. I know if I'm putting too much pressure on myself and stay home where I can sit around instead ;)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am having a healthy pregnancy and consider lifting her part of my 'exercise' currently, so no reason that I can't.  I encourage DD to walk & hold my hand when I get winded - also so that she starts to learn that mommy isn't always going to be able to hold her when she wants me to.  Between the 2 kiddos, lugging an extra 45lbs, which is not far below half my normal body weight, around these days wears me out pretty quickly!

Its been super helpful that in the last week or so, she's started climbing in the carseat herself - that was starting to get difficult.  Now I can just give her bum a little push & she can climb in & sit down herself. 

• I picked up/carried DS1 until the day I delivered (25lbs).  The only time I did not was around 7-10 weeks when I had a placental tear and was on bedrest.
  • I carried DD1 up until my csection. She was 26lbs.
  • imagememali26:
    I carried DD1 like normal right up until the day I went in for induction at 38w6d. My doctor okay'd it since my body was used to carrying her (and she only weighed about 22-23lbs tops at the end of my pregnancy). I tend to carry my pregnancies small, though, so my belly doesn't usually get in the way of anything except getting close enough to the sink to was dishes, LOL.

This was exactly me too except I went into labor and had little man at 36 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I carried ds throughout the pregnancy, although it got hard to put him in the crib towards the end. Towards the middle of the pregnancy, I had awful back pains, which was likely caused by carrying him as it started on the side I carry him. At that point, when he wanted to be carried I would sit on the floor and pull him on my lap. He would get angry at first. You kind of need th to be out of the carrying habit before the new baby arrives because you can't carry both and they will likely be clingy when the second arrives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"