Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

How much cows milk

How much cows milk do you feed your 11 or 12 month old a day
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How much cows milk

• Options
    Our pedi gave us the green flag for WCM at our 9 month appointment. We started consistently giving it at 10 months with about 2oz at dinner. Now we're up to almost 4 oz at dinner.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Our ped have us the green too at 9 months. But we waited till 10 and slowly introduced it. She likes it now and gets 4 at 12pm and 4oz before bedtime
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our pedi suggested adding WCM to their formula once they are 11 months.  We usually give 5oz bottles so we'll be adding 1oz of wcm and 4oz of formula to one bottle for a few days see how it goes (DD had allergies early on).  If after a few days we don't see a difference we'll add 1oz to each bottle and then keep lowering the amount of forumla each week.  We figure by 12 months they'll be mostly on wcm.

• Options
    At yesterday's checkup, the pedi said to start giving LO cow's milk.  When I asked how much, the doctor would not give me a clear answer; she said it's "to taste," and/or "as much as he wants."  Well, today he had it for the first time.  I was worried since he has been EBF.  We put a little in his sippy cup and he downed it and was upset that there wasn't more.  We kept giving him more, on demand, until he drank about 8 oz in one sitting, without touching his beloved mac and cheese.  Bottom line, he loved it.  I'm now in the position of wondering what to do about breastfeeding. Doc said that after a year old, the breast milk is not as nutritious as whole cow's milk, but I need to do more research on that. I've read that breast milk is still great. Sorry to ramble.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    She gets a small cup of organic whole milk with breakfast and a small cup with dinner. I started introducing it about a week ago. After her birthday, I will start replacing her formula bottles with WCM. Luckily she LOVES it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagetheresat858:

imageilanat:
    At yesterday's checkup, the pedi said to start giving LO cow's milk.  When I asked how much, the doctor would not give me a clear answer; she said it's "to taste," and/or "as much as he wants."  Well, today he had it for the first time.  I was worried since he has been EBF.  We put a little in his sippy cup and he downed it and was upset that there wasn't more.  We kept giving him more, on demand, until he drank about 8 oz in one sitting, without touching his beloved mac and cheese.  Bottom line, he loved it.  I'm now in the position of wondering what to do about breastfeeding. Doc said that after a year old, the breast milk is not as nutritious as whole cow's milk, but I need to do more research on that. I've read that breast milk is still great. Sorry to ramble.

WHAT?? I'd find a more BF-friendly pedi or one who actually does research...WTF, how is milk that is made for a baby cow more nutritious than milk that is made for YOUR BABY?  

That being said, WCM is easier for most moms (at least if you work and have to pump...if I SAH I might feel differently) and there's no harm in switching to it after a year, but BM is still the gold standard of nutrition for your toddler.  (...but no, I don't plan to pump after a year and my LO will get WCM).

Ditto the WTF!

ALL of this!

• Options
    At one year the range is supposed to be 16-24 oz. I still BF morning and evening and he gets 12oz WCM on top of that.
  • Options
    imageilanat:
    At yesterday's checkup, the pedi said to start giving LO cow's milk.nbsp; When I asked how much, the doctor would not give me a clear answer; she said it's "to taste," and/or "as much as he wants."nbsp; Well, today he had it for the first time.nbsp; I was worried since he has been EBF.nbsp; We put a little in his sippy cup and he downed it and was upset that there wasn't more.nbsp; We kept giving him more, on demand, until he drank about 8 oz in one sitting, without touching his beloved mac and cheese.nbsp; Bottom line, he loved it.nbsp; I'm now in the position of wondering what to do about breastfeeding. Doc said that after a year old, the breast milk is not as nutritious as whole cow's milk, but I need to do more research on that. I've read that breast milk is still great. Sorry to ramble.

You need to get a new doctor asap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks to all the replies about my doctor's comment about breastmilk after a year.  I intuitively thought something was wrong with her advice, as I indicated in my original post.  Sure enough, I have done my own research and discovered that breastmilk is still just as awesome as ever well past a year, as mother nature intended.  The idea that it "thins out" is an old wive's tale from ignorant people.  It may have less fat in it, because it is designed for a toddler who does not need as much fat from the breastmilk because he is getting it from other sources.  Also, the nutrients and antibodies just become more concentrated if you are nursing less.  In addition, toddler breastmilk may even have more antibodies because toddlers are exposed to more germs than infants.  Bottom line people, you were right to be outraged.  Breastmilk is miraculous and amazing.  The mother's body knows just what to do.  We just live in a culture that overall does not appreciate breastfeeding.  I have come to realize that many pediatricians are not so informed about breastfeeding; this surprises me, but I think I need to find another doctor.  Luckily, I worked with a lactation consultant from the beginning who got me on the right track and I just followed my baby's cues since then. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"