April 2013 Moms
Options

Boating with an infant

To all you boaters out there.. My husband and I bought a boat for the back bays down the shore. Whats your experience trying to put a life jacket on a newborn that is around a month old? We are so excited about the boat and hoping our little guy cooperates with the life jacket! Any recommendations on the best one to get?
First time Momma to be! Due April 5th!

Re: Boating with an infant

• Options
    We sail, so if you have a MB, it is slightly different. Do some research on the best rated infant PFDs. I haven't done much reading up on it yet, but I only intend to put her in the PFD for dinghy rides to and from the boat (we're on a mooring). While actually on the boat, I intend to be wearing her...this is where I think I'd feel differently though if we weren't sailors. I'd start looking around on West Marine and Defender. 
  • Options
    when my niece was born, the advice my brother and sister in law recieved was that it just wasn't safe for a baby that small -- I think they waited until she was about 6 or 9 months old.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJSS1002:
    when my niece was born, the advice my brother and sister in law recieved was that it just wasn't safe for a baby that small I think they waited until she was about 6 or 9 months old.

This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have a boat and due to when she was born waited until DD was 18 months before taking her out. The whole combination of babies not being able to regulate their body temp, worried about her immature immune system, etc. we just took a year off. With this baby, we will let the inlaws watch the baby, and take our 2 1/2 yr old out with us as a special ready for her!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not really understanding what the point of a life jacket would be for a four week old? If they went into the water, it isn't as if they could hold their heads up or even roll on their backs. Am I missing something?
  • Options

I hear ya. Its a law though. You have to have a life jacket on an infant.

First time Momma to be! Due April 5th!
  • Options
    I, personally, would not take a 1 month old on a boat. I agree with PP about a life jacket being pointless. I would either get a sitter or wait a few months to take the baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options

Personally, I would wait to take an infant out on a boat.  We probably took our son out for the first time around a year old.  He loves the boat now, but even at 5 it makes me nervous when we go fast.

Like a PP said, we plan on getting a sitter for baby when we go out and just take DS as a special treat for just him.

I think a sitter would be the way to go, for awhile at least.

• Options

Sorry, OP, I didn't notice the 1 month old part.

I agree that you should wait, though I would say 4-6 months. Again, I'd have more concern if the boat is under power. They do make some fantastic PFDs that are made specifically for the baby's needs given her weight and head/muscle (even temperature) control.  I would check out Mustang products for infant PFDs, but as PPs suggested, wouldn't take LO out at a month old.

• Options
    We went boating with DD1 when she was around 6 to 8 weeks old. In hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. We did have a lifejacket rated for her size, but in the event of a true emergency, I'm not confident it would have kept her face out of the water. I read this article that said baby should be at least 18 lbs and be able to sit. You want them to be able to move around enough to keep their airway open.

https://www.babycenter.com/408_whencanmybabygoonaboat_1368525.bc

DD2 was born in July, and we didn't take her on a boat until the summer she turned 1.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    imageNandaB:
    imageLizSavage2013:

I hear ya. Its a law though. You have to have a life jacket on an infant.

right. but I think the point is that it isn't safe for a 1 month old to be in a motorboat. life jacket or not. Plus, I don't think they even make them small enough for a 1 month old. 

Yes, this is the point I was trying to make. To me, it would be like taking an infant in a convertible without a carseat. If there is an accident, a baby that young has no chance. Why risk it?
  • Options
    We have a pontoon on a lake and we took DS out when he was a 4-6 weeks old.  He was a pretty large baby and we put him in a lief jacket.  I talked to our DNR and lake police and life jackets aren't even required on our lake, but I felt better using one.
  • Options

We have a pontoon boat on a lake. Last summer my DD was 7 months to 10 months during lake season. 

The problem is there is only one size for infant life jackets, they're for 30 lbs and under. I really can't imagine the thing on a 1 month old.

My daughter HATED the life jacket. It's so awkward when they're so small and have no neck...you can see here...

I got to the point where I would just hold her on the boat with no life jacket because it would make her that miserable. I know some people wouldn't agree with this but I felt comfortable with it because we were on a very calm lake on a boat that goes SLOW!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I worked at a marina through high school and college and even after I landed my first teaching job.  People took their infants out all the time.  You have to make the child apart of your life and not change completely because of them.  With that being said I think you just have to use good judgement.  If it's rough don't go out. If the wind picks up head to the dock.  Enjoy the boat and your baby.

People (aka family) are giving us grief because we booked a campsite for memorial weekend.  It is tradition for us to go camping with friends that weekend.  It will be different but we have a large camper and plan to continue our traditions and have them become our new family traditions. 

You may not make it out on the boat as much as you like or for as long as you like but don't give it up just because you have a baby! 

• Options

When DS was born I couldn't find life jackets for under 15 lbs so we stayed on shore all summer and missed all the fun. I now know they do make life jackets for babies as small as 9 lbs. This summer I'm going to look for a newborn life jacket, but I'll be sure to test it out to be sure it properly rolls her onto her back like true life jackets are meant to do before taking her on the boat. We usually go slow on a pontoon boat so I'm not very concerned about flipping over suddenly. I'd hate to miss out this summer like I did with DS. I'm sure my inlaws would be willing to take DS with them so he doesn't miss out, but I'd be by myself in the cottage all afternoon again. 

https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Kids/Paddling/PRD~5013-812/naya-water-gear-baby-pfd-infants.jsp

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"