Natural Birth
Options

Excited but nervous and its early

I just watched The Business of Being Born and left it feeling excited and yet nervous. This is my first pregnancy and I'm only 12 weeks but oh my goodness. I have always planned on having a natural birth and this further cemented it but I feel like I know nothing. I don't even know what to read or what to do to prepare myself. Any thoughts?

PS Super grateful my DH has been on board with this from the beginning as well.  

Re: Excited but nervous and its early

• Options
    My number one peice of advice is surround yourself with like minded people. If you don't have support outside of your husband hire a doula. I would have been lost without my doula.

Read Ina May's Guide to Chilbirth and Spiritual Midwifery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm FTM and also on board, I agree with PP about the people around you. I was super down when my mom started criticizing my natural birth plan and then my bro and sis joined her. What did I do?

Called my grandma and heard her birth stories (4 natural childbirths without epi) and now I feel even more empowered. Why? Well, if she could do it knowing nothing about it, then we can definitely do it because we can prepare for it a great deal: movies, courses, hypnobabies/birthing, Ina May's guides, yoga, etc.

I just got the hypnobabies course and I'll start it next week, hopefully I will feel even more ready. Just remember women have been doing this for thousands of years and now we are healthier and more knowledgeable so we have an advantage ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Best wishes with your pregnancy & upcoming birth! I highly suggest using this breathing technique & believe it was what enabled me to deliver with absolutely no medication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1DP18pCBs&list=PLFAB7F181B15117C1&index=7 

Sorry, I don't know how to make it "clicky". I practiced it over & over until it became second nature, (I had 4 weeks of prodormal labor to practice with). I also agree with PP about building a support system. DH & the nurses were the only support I had & they were amazing! However, not all labor nurses are going to be that supportive; it was like I had a cheer leading team in my room & not once did they ask if I wanted meds once they learned I was determined to do it all natural. Best of luck!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I both liked the book The Birth Partner by Simpkin. It covered so much and really opened our eyes to the whole process.

We also took a Bradley course, and I think that really helped prepare DH for his role as my coach.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! It is so encouraging to talk with like-minded people. My sister had a natural birth a little over a year ago and one of my close friends ended up unable to have a natural birth due to some other issues but that was the plan and my parents on supportive. I'm so so grateful. Because I definitely have the friends who hear that is the plan and look at me like I'm nuts and why would I do that to myself etc etc. I still can't believe theres a baby inside! :)
  • Options

imageamberthehobbit:
    My number one peice of advice is surround yourself with like minded people. If you don't have support outside of your husband hire a doula. I would have been lost without my doula. Read Ina May's Guide to Chilbirth and Spiritual Midwifery.

All of this.  I also recommend reading "the thinking womens guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer.  One of the big things I also recommend is mentally preparing for a natural birth.  It will be hard and contractions will hurt.  If you are prepared for this then you will not be surprised by the intensity of L&D. GL, you CAN do it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"