Special Needs
Options

Earobics

We just had this program suggested to us as something that we could use with our child with CAPD. Has anyone used it? Any feedback?

Re: Earobics

• Options

I've used an older version with students to add in phonemic awareness skills.  I haven't seen the most current version.

If you are looking for something just to supplement at home, I think it is worth it. Hearbuilder is another inexpensive home based computer game style program to use for phonemic awareness skills.  I don't think they are great stand alone programs, but can be used to reinforce skills at home, in a way that seems like just a computer games.

PS: if the recommendation is coming from school, you can always see if they are willing to install it on your home computer as well.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks. The recommendation comes from one of the therapists in my family. Most of my relatives, including my parents, are either therapists, doctors, or teachers so we've been recieving a lot of suggestions since his dx.

It would be something supplemental that we would use at home in addition to his 7.5 hrs of therapy school each week. I plan to ask his therapists about it as well but we don't see them until wed due to the holiday.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageauntie:
    what are you going to take out of your son's life to do this?nbsp;

This is an awesome question.

Right now he is in half day kindergarten and on MWF he immediately goes to his therapy school, as in he gets there after it had started every time, for 2.5 hours and we have a 35 minute ride each way. Right now, it'd be feasible to do on TTh during that timeslot but I'm worried about once he starts full day school plus therapy as well.
  • Options
    I don't know anything about Earobics, but we just started doing Therapeutic Listening in the past 3 weeks, and we are already seeing a huge difference in auditory processing as well as other areas. He has been doing it twice a week at OT in the sensory gym, and when our equipment for home comes in, we will do it 30 mins, 2X a day, while playing, talking, interacting, and doing other everyday activities. I don't know if it works for everyone, but we are seeing leaps and bounds, so far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you. I keep typing out a long reply and then deleting it because I don't know what I'm trying to say...

He does have sensory issues with sounds such as blenders, vacuums, horns, sirens, but he loves the thumping of a bass and music. He has other issues with textures and clothing such as he wont wear anything with a picture on it and would wear ties daily for two years. He just started not wearing thallow a daily basis but still wears them a lot of the time. His main speech issues are fluency and articulation. There's also other concerns that we have no answer for yet.

Right now, I'm honestly at a loss of what we need to be or should be doing to help him and DH is barely around to sign a paper let alone sit down and help make a decision. I feel like everyone expects me to just know that I should be doing x or have him signed up for y and I have no idea what they are talking about. We went from being told "This happens with a lot of kids. He'll outgrow it" from one ped to "Why has he not been recieving therapy for this or evaluated for that already. His prognosis would have been better if he started earlier" by another.
  • Options

imageRink08:
    Right now, I'm honestly at a loss of what we need to be or should be doing to help him and DH is barely around to sign a paper let alone sit down and help make a decision. I feel like everyone expects me to just know that I should be doing x or have him signed up for y and I have no idea what they are talking about.

Try not to feel bad about what you didn't know before, or having been given bad advice by the first ped. We went through something very similar and I was very confused, and didn't know where to turn for a while. Everyone has a different set of opinions as to what was going on, and different types of advice. We even switched therapists in Dec, because we wanted a second opinion, since things weren't working and they weren't giving us any info. I'd say just do something. If it doesn't work, then try something else. What we are doing now is working for us, so I am sticking with it, but it was months worth of a trial and error to get here and for most of it I just felt utterly helpless.

Yesterday at therapy, he was watching his fav cartoon on my phone while I talked with the OT in the noisy waiting room full of parents and kids, and when she was walking away she said "Bye! I'll see you on Thursday!" and he actually realized she was talking to him, and he looked up at her face and said "Bye Miss J, see you Thursday!" We just looked at each other like "OMG!" Def a first! Three weeks ago he wouldn't have even looked up.

Good luck and I hope that you see some improvements with whatever you decide to do!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"