January 2013 Moms
Options

I don't want anyone to hold my baby...

Is this normal? Obviously hubby is an exception but allowing other family members to hold him is out of the question. I know I have to get over this but I'm just not ready. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm a first time mom and refuse to have help unless I REALLY need it. I know many of you may suggest to take help when needed but I've never had that type of personality. I only fee comfortable with hubby's help...THAT'S IT! From time to time my mom's as well.

What's wrong with me?!?!? 

Re: I don't want anyone to hold my baby...

• Options
    Nothing is wrong with you! I felt (and still do sometimes!) the same exact way. With time (and sleep deprivation!!) it does get easier to accept help and even ask for it, from others. It still doesn't change the fact that no one will care of your LO the way you do. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's good for you and it's really good for your baby to be comfortable with people besides just you. Nothing is wrong with you but if you're constantly refusing help people will stop offering... and then when you need help it might be harder to come by.

When my FIL was here [DD was about 2.5 weeks old then] I basically didn't hold her except to feed/change the whole 4 days he was in town! Similar when my mom was in town when DD was a day old for a week but she ate a lot more then so she was attached to me more than when FIL came. I'm willing to hand her off to anyone willing to hold her because I love having both hands free and since I'm EBF & she eats often I only get so many opportunities.

Do what makes you comfortable but at some point you'll probably want to find a way to be comfortable with others. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am the exact opposite, I'll take all the help I can get! I love my little man so much but so does everyone else :) It's a blessing to have a lot of people that love you! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imagejessalared:
    I am the exact opposite, I'll take all the help I can get! I love my little man so much but so does everyone else :) It's a blessing to have a lot of people that love you! 

This. I'm more than happy to hand DS off to one of our parents or our siblings...they are such amazing support and help. And I want our son to be socialized and not be afraid to go to members of our family. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    I was exactly this was for the week DD1 was home before DD2 followed from the NICU. Especially since I'm the craziest germophobe EVER, now. I could handle DD1 just fine on my own, and even with my parents around initially, found that stressed me out more. But, with both girls home, we take all the help my parents will offer! No one else can visit during the duration of flu season, but we are so thankful for the help they provide, so we can sleep, take care of a few basic chores, etc. It really helps us have the patience to be better parents when we are running the show solo with the girls.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Im the same as you.
    There are only a select few people i allow to help out with the kids and the house. It gets exhausting at times, but mostly im happy things are done right and my kids got their health, safety, structure and boundaries.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I'm the same way. I was a germaphobe before having DS, but after a really emotional return visit to the hospital for a bad case of jaundice, I have gone a little crazy with the no visitors/no holding thing.  I'm so scared of DS getting a fever and having to go back to the hospital.  He's going to daycare part time at 3 months, so I'm obviously going to have to come to terms with my fears, but for now I'm being really overprotective.  

It also doesn't help that my family seems to think they can be around him with hacking coughs and colds.  If they were a little more respectful, it might be different.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"