Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

To all Baby Bjorn lovers...Myself included

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: To all Baby Bjorn lovers...Myself included

• Options

I used a Bjorn with my first and have learned so much since! Baby Bjorn's can be grouped with other carriers commonly referred to as "Crotch Danglers", in that the infants body weight is placed on their crotch and not evenly spread throughout their bottoms. Also, a Baby Bjorn is a killer on your back! I upgraded my carriers with this baby...I used the Bjorn once, when she was pretty little, just to switch the laundry, and after wearing it for only 5 minutes, my back hurt!

I would really recommend looking into another carrier that has more support for you and better positioning for the baby. I have a Beco and an Ergo and love them both! This weekend I wore my 18 lb baby for 2 hours at Chuck E Cheese and never once did my back get tired! She was so comfortable, so took a nap!

Other carriers are expensive, but well worth it if you wear a lot!

Thanks for posting!

• Options

https://s103.beta.photobucket.com/user/georgi_girl77/media/5123dae5.jpg.html?fromLegacy=true

I hope this link is clicky, but the picture does a really good job of demonstrating weight distribution in an Ergo VS a Bjorn. Of course, the child in the picture is too big for a Bjorn anyway, but the point is definitely made!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

my first daughter was actaully born with hip dysplaysia and our pedi and ortho doctor both recommended a baby carrier.

I had a bjorn so that's what I used. After seeing the general hate of the bjorn from the bump community I asked both doctors and two other pediatricians about the harm from them. ALL of them said the same thing, the bjorn was perfectly fine.

as long as your baby isn't in it for long periods during the day, it's not causing harm. The bump seems to be the only place that thinks the bjorn is going to cause HD in all babies...

• Options
    imagemelodramatic26:

my first daughter was actaully born with hip dysplaysia and our pedi and ortho doctor both recommended a baby carrier.

I had a bjorn so that's what I used. After seeing the general hate of the bjorn from the bump community I asked both doctors and two other pediatricians about the harm from them. ALL of them said the same thing, the bjorn was perfectly fine.

as long as your baby isn't in it for long periods during the day, it's not causing harm. The bump seems to be the only place that thinks the bjorn is going to cause HD in all babies...

I don't think everyone thinks it's going to cause it in all babies, it's just that it can be problematic to some, and there are far better options out there. Those options also tend to be much more comfortable for the baby and the wearer, more so as time goes on (both in age of the baby and length of time used per outing). The Bjorn doesn't look like something I'd want to wear, myself, for more than a few minutes, and I like to wear my baby during trips to the mall and whatnot. I also want a carrier that will last well into toddlerhood, which the Bjorn wouldn't accomodate.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    imagejloglow_25:

i don't see where it says not to use a Bjorn? We have both the Ergo and Bjorn and I found the Bjorn to be far superior comfort wise than the Ergo. We have the active and it's worked well for us. It has plenty of back support and is breathable, where the Ergo is not. i think its a matter of preference. We also don't use the Bjorn or any carrier everyday, so I'm guessing that plays into the whole fear of dysplasia. I think if you aren't baby wearing everyday, it wouldn't be as much as an issue. 

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options

I had both a bjorn (not the active) and an ergo with DD1 & really love the ergo. DD2 definitely prefers the ergo, so that's fine with me.

For newly expecting friends, I always suggest they purchase an ergo - sure it's expensive, but I could wear DD1 on my back up until she was almost 3 (and she's BIG). It was awesome when we were on vacation!

• Options
    I agree that TB seems to have a particular dislike for the bjorn. We love ours. I have an ergo but even at 5 months, DD doesn't like to be in it for more than 10 minutes, and even then I can't do both legs out or she'll scream. She much prefers the bjorn. We wear her maybe once every couple of days for 30 min max, so I'm reluctant to buy into all the HD drama.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It doesn't say not to use it. That's why I posted it. It seems like everybody on The Bump is against the Bjorn and I just thought I would post this to show the other opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"