Adoption

Just wondering - older child adoption

If someone had an older child, let's say a 4 to 8 year old that they no longer felt they could look after and they wanted to give their child up for adoption, what would they need to do?  Can they find their own adoptive parents like EM's do for newborns or does it need to go through the foster care system?  Does any one here know?

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

Re: Just wondering - older child adoption

• I'm pretty sure an adoption agency would still counsel them and work with them.
  • This may vary by state, but it would likely still initiate a report of abuse or neglect with the state protection agency for abandonment and involvement with the juvenile court for termination of parental rights.  If the parent or parents wanted to make an adoption plan, they likely could work with a private agency and hopefully transition right to a pre-adoptive home as opposed to going through foster care.  If only 1 parent came forward wanting to make the adoption plan and do a voluntary surrender, the court and or adoption agency would have an obligation to find that other biological parent (unless rights have already been terminated).
    Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelizlemon2:
    This may vary by state, but it would likely still initiate a report of abuse or neglect with the state protection agency for abandonment and involvement with the juvenile court for termination of parental rights.  If the parent or parents wanted to make an adoption plan, they likely could work with a private agency and hopefully transition right to a pre-adoptive home as opposed to going through foster care.  If only 1 parent came forward wanting to make the adoption plan and do a voluntary surrender, the court and or adoption agency would have an obligation to find that other biological parent (unless rights have already been terminated).

Thanks.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• In doing my research for this adoption I came across a number of different facilitator websites that list birth mothers just by numbers and describe their scenarios. There are a lot of them on these facilitator sites that are sibling groups and children that are older than 1 where the parent cannot take care of the child anymore. At least that was my understanding of it.
  • Our girls were 5 months old when their mother terminated their rights over to us. We went through an adoption attorney and their mother found us privately. I'm sure it does varry by state, but it was an easy process for us.

After 3 years of infertility we were blessed with twin girls through private infant adoption.
    Forever our's October 17th 2012
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"