VBAC
Options

Back-up plan scheduling

I'm 36 weeks and a good candidate for VBAC. My ob practice is very VBAC friendly, but schedules RCS for 40 weeks.  I thought I could go to 41 so surprised and feeling defeated already.  

I will speak to the doc on Thursday but hoping some of you have done the research to share with me.  :) I thought only 35% births occurred before 40 weeks and 30% week 40 (rounded/ballparks).  I also thought it was safe for a pregnancy to go to 41 weeks.  Is there a higher risk of rupture after 40 weeks?  Is there some other reason the scheduler said "it's risky."

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Back-up plan scheduling

• Options

If you want to go past 40 weeks, talk to your OB and see if there is room to negotiate. My OB practice had the same "policy" but I was planning on offering to do nst's and daily check ins if it meant being able to go past my due date.

It didn't come to it in my case as I went into labor at 39 weeks. My son was also big and measuring large on ultrasounds so I don't think I would have wanted to go past 40 weeks in my circumstance. I suspect my OB would have given me a lot more pressure for a c/s because of the big baby issue if I went overdue.

GL! Once I hit 37 weeks I started doing things to encourage labor. I don't know if they did anything but I figured lots of walking and sex couldn't hurt. I also used EPO.

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • Options

I think we will have this talk at my appointment tomorrow. I know that's the day I have to sign a VBAC consent, so I assume we will discuss VBAC policy in more detail.  I plan to decline to schedule anything before 42 weeks unless there is a real medical need.  I would definitely not consent before 41 weeks, especially knowing I didn't go into labor with DD until 41+3. 

I would talk to your OB about your concerns. And remember that they can't force anything on you.  But, I know it is really hard to go against medical advice. Just make sure they are giving you medical advice and not a list of routines. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That's why I switched from a "vbac friendly OB" and a "vbac friendly hospital."  They were VBAC friendly - as long as you went into labor on your own, before 40 weeks and didn't require an labor assistance.  In my view, that's not vbac friendly.

I know you're too late in the game to switch, so I would call your doctor today and ask for an explanation.  Get confirmation that you will be able to go to 41 weeks. 

You are correct, going past dates is as safe with a VBAC as it is with a first birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"