Natural Birth
Options

grandma knows better :)

I decided to go natural a few weeks ago but my first motivation was money (my insurance only covers home birth with no medical intervention/anestesia if not absolutely necessary). However, after following this board and reading some books, now my main motivation is actually to be able to have a natural childbirth and have a great experience that I can treasure forever.

DH and MIL are super supportive but my mom flipped out! She doesn't want me to go through the pain, she had 3 vaginal deliveries but she was helped with epidural in all 3 of them (I don't understand why but she had the epidurial after transition so she also felt most of the pain, why would you have it so late?). 

Anyhow, I was quite sad my mom didn't support me and feeling mostly down because, after all, she is more experienced than I am. So I decided to call my grandma and asked her about her deliveries, she had 4 natural med-free deliveries at the hospital and told me "It does hurt, but it's not unbeareable" and she told me she was so proud of me wanting to go natural! She even told me about pain management techniques that she used (50 years ago) and she mentioned labouring at home as long as you can before going to the hospital, bath tub, walking around, etc.

That definitely made my day! I love the fact that we are going back to basics in many aspects of our lives: cars to bikes, plastic to paper, chemical to natural, and now medical assisted to natural deliveries! :D

It just feels right!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
*Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

Re: grandma knows better :)

• Options
    I know what you mean, my mom had a spinal block and I had to be pulled out with forceps. My grandma had 7 natural births all at home and told me it was easy. Not sure I necessarily believe "easy" but I'm still inspired nonetheless.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Options
    My sister described her first unmedicated birth as horrible. Later, she learned why she was unprepared, had never been around birth before and did not take any childbirth classes or get any information from anyone. Where she had her baby they did nit provide pain relief medications unless mom needed surgery. In Asia

Her second was a homebirth. Prepared, well cared for she was confident. When I was.pregnant the first time, it was she that influenced me to seek midwifery care and unmedicated, low intervention birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh that's awesome!  I think my Grandma delivered her babies at home but she passed away in 2007 :( 
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • Options

imageBreanneL24:
    Your insurance cover homebirth? This lady is jealous!! And that is great that your grandma is supportive. Mine were too but my mom thought I was out of my mind for wanting a homebirth!

Yes, I live in Holland and if you're under 36 years old and no-risk then the insurance only covers unmedicated homebirths which at first was very scary but now I'm confident in my perfectly designed body :P  

I will go for a hospital delivery for this first LO, but maybe I'll be doing a homebirth next time :D 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• Options

So sorry about the unsupportive mother, but it sounds like Grandma knows whats up!

My Mom had all three of us without any pain medication and is extremely happy that I am opting for a drug-free birth center birth.  My oldest sister has two girls (both hospital births with epidurals) and my middle sister is 4 weeks ahead of me with her first and will deliver in a hospital.   I am prepared for pain, but I know that I can do it!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • Options

Sorry your mom's not supportive, maybe she's just trying to protect you.  Still stinks though.

I love your Grandma's advice and I think her description is pretty accurate.     

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"