April 2013 Moms
Options

How did you find out?

2»

Re: How did you find out?

• Options
    I was a few days late but it was just before my wedding so I figured it was due to stress of the big day. On the honeymoon my husband and I took a test and it was positive! It was a while wind of a week. We became newlyweds and expecting our first child all on one week!!

How did you tell your family?
    I am horrible at keeping secrets so we told family when we got back from the honeymoon but only parents and sibling because we were still very early 6 weeks

What were your first thoughts?
    I was nervous. My husband seemed indifferent but excited. I think all he said was "cool". Parents and siblings were very excited!!
  • Options

How did you find out you were pregnant? Anything more obvious than "I took a test"

We lost a baby at 12wks4days in May of 2012. It was my first miscarriage and I chose to go the natural route instead of a d&c. I didn't think my body would bounce back so quickly but in July I began to feel sick each day. I was in denial about being pregnant and my SO actually went and bought a pregnancy test at the end of August because I kept insisting it was work stress making me nauseous. I took the test and when it turned out positive I cried because I was so afraid this baby wouldn't 'stick'. I scheduled a doctors appointment and was relieved to see my little bean with a beating heart.

How did you tell SO? I didn't tell him, he told me! I really didn't want to consider the possibility that we were pregnant so soon after a loss.

How did you tell your family? We didn't tell anyone for a long time because we had shared to soon before and everyone was so sad. When I was four months we made a fb announcement and each of us called our parents/grandparents because they live out of state.

What were your first thoughts? Please make it baby and also Don't get too attached. I think my pregnancy didn't seem real to me until the baby started kicking and moving around in there. I'm so excited now but it was definitely a process

BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

How did you find out? : I actually thought I was lactose intolerant. I hadn't been feeling well after eating any dairy so since I was already a vegetarian, I decided I would try a vegan diet for a while and I felt amazing so I figured I had solved my problem. Well, even though I was on the pill I kept track of my periods and I didn't get mine on time like always so I figured I would take a test to rule pregnancy out... and as it were, we're expecting our son! And the lactose intolerance was just early morning sickness.

How did you tell your SO? : He was at work that day so I basically spent the whole day worrying about telling him. I didn't do anything fun since we were doing the opposite of trying so I was a little concerned about how he would react. So as soon as he got home I told him I took a test and it was positive.

How did you tell your family? : With my parents I got kids books for each of them and on the inside I wrote "To my Grandmother, please read this to me in April. Love, Baby G****" My brothers got certificates good for one niece/nephew on or around April 3rd 2013. And we wore t-shirts to his parents house saying "Please Wait... Baby Loading" and "#1 Daddy in Training."

What were your first thoughts? : 1. Oh shiit... how do I tell SO?
    2. This won't be so bad... we have good jobs and our own place.
    3. Eff... well at least we wanted to have kids SOMEDAY.
    Etc... etc... all the usual freak out stuff.

And it all concludes with everyone being beyond excited for the little bundle and we literally can't wait. 

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options

We were going to celebrate our 11th anniversary with a concert at Red Rocks and a night in a hotel away from our kiddos. I was a few days late so I thought I should take a test. It turned out negative. After a few days still no period so I took another test. This time it was positive.

After the + test I went into my DH office (he works from home) and asked him if he was ready to sh*t his pants. He looked at me and asked if I was pregnant. We were not planning on LO #4!!

We had our 3 year old DD tell our parents and siblings. She was very proud to say "I am going to be a big sister."

My 1st thought was our brand new car doesn't seat 6!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This is such a good idea! At times it feels like just yesterday, adn at other times it feels like it has been forever.

DH and I had been going through a weird time in our relationship and were kind of drifting apart, although we had begun counselling to deal with some things. Our dog started following me around more, but i figured she was reading my mood. One day i got out of the shower and she had nudged the door open and was sitting next to the shower. Scared the S**T out of me. Later on that day i told my SIL and she suggested maybe I was pg again since our dog did this the last 2 times. I didn't think it was possible since i couldn't even remember if we had done the deed in the previous few weeks. So while on the phone I poas and sure enough it was positive. I totally lied to SIL and told her it was neg. 

When DH came home I was a basket case. We had so much on our plate already with 2 kids, marriage issues and financial stuff that we had just made a 3 year plan to solve. When he walked in the door, I came around the corner from the kitchen and just blurted it out, then covered my face and began balling like  a baby. DH just hugged me and told me everything was going to be alright.

For my family we were all meeting at the beach for a family outing. I put DD2 in a t-shirt that said "middle child" on the front and "April 2013" on the back. I just let her walk around for a bit before anyone noticed. DH's family I think we just told. don't really remember. I think DH told his dad at work and he told MIL.

First thoughts? Umm oh ***. what are we going to do? then hokey smokey we are going to have 3!! I hope its a boy for DH.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

MH and I had only been trying for a few months when we got pregnant the first time, but before we could get it confirmed I miscarried.  I was only 5 weeks along, so I know it just wasn't viable, but I was still devastated. I knew we were supposed to wait for at least one cycle before trying again, but we didn't really want to waste the condoms in prevention, and i hadn't been pregnant long.  5 weeks later, I still hadn't gotten my period, so I figured I'd use up the last pregnancy test we had in the house on a whim.  My breasts had been hurting which was my only symptom from last time, so I thought there was a possibility.  When it came back positive I just knew I was pregnant again and not still on the lowering of my original hormones, but I obviously didn't have any reason other than intuition for that knowledge.

I came back into our bedroom where MH was taking a nap.  I woke him up and asked him if that was a second line.  I think I was scared that I was making it up in my mind since I wanted it so badly.  He agreed that there was a faint line, congratulated me and then we snuggled in bed for the rest of his nap.

Originally MH didn't want to tell anyone until I had it confirmed, which is why no one knew about the first miscarriage.  I figured that meant I would have to wait for a few weeks until I had the dating ultrasound to confirm we had a viable pregnancy this time.  I was working in a research lab at school where we were trying to find drug (precursor) candidates for  tumors/cancer.  We had a group party for the end of the summer just a few days after I POAS and before I had it confirmed and MH told my boss that I was pregnant.  I figured that if my boss and thus my other coworkers knew that I should let my mom know before she found out through facebook.  We live in Hawaii and both of our families are in Cali, so I had to call her and let her know.  Then I mass texted my siblings and close friends from out of state once it was confirmed.  The ILs found out via skype with MH.

My first thoughts were just prayers that nothing was wrong with this one and that it would stick.  I didn't think I could handle another miscarriage right then, but I knew it was a possibility based on how soon we conceived after the first one. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

How did you find out you were pregnant? Anything more obvious than "I took a test" 

It sounds ridiculous, but I didn't realize anything was up until I had a really vivid dream that I discovered I was pregnant and was, shockingly, overjoyed at the news.  I woke up wondering "wtf" as we weren't trying, and it hadn't been on my mind.  I realized that my period should be that day, and shrugged it off.  Over the next two weeks, I felt progressively crappier--boob pain, exhaustion.  But I'd test and they came up negative.  Finally, at what ended up being just around 6 weeks pregnant, I got (the second I peed on it lol) a positive test.

How did you tell SO? 

Well, I had just used my last test, at 1am, out of sheer frustration because I still felt horrible and still had no period.  I didn't even tell him I was testing because I fully expected it to be another negative.  So at 1am, I came running out of the bathroom and, in between sobs, told him that I was pregnant.  He was on the computer chatting to friends, and the poor guy had no warning the news was coming. lol

We planned on waiting until the first ultra sound--that's what we discussed the night we got the test.  I woke up to DH calling family already, so we told the grandparents in person the next day.  Nothing fancy, just "So, you're not going to believe it but...."

1. omg, thank goodness, I'm not crazy and imagining all these things going on with my body.

2. Holy crap. This means I'm PREGNANT.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    The midwife that we used for my pregnancy with my daughter had a picnic this summer so we decided we would go. There were so many babies there, which prompted my husband and I to talk about our family plans on the way home from the picnic. We both said that we wanted to wait AT LEAST 6 more months to even think about trying for #2 but probably a lot longer and possibly forever (just because I get incredibly sick with pregnancies, HG). Once we were done talking about it I started thinking about my period (which I've never kept track of) and realized that I might actually be late. We got a test on the way home, even though we both knew there was no way I was pregnant, and I got home and took it in the middle of the day and got 2 lines! I told my husband, who ran to the door and put his shoes on while yelling that he was off to buy the most expensive pregnancy test that Walmart carried. He got home and after the new test digitally told us I was pregnant it started to sink in and we got really excited! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

How did you find out you were pregnant?

DH and I decided to start trying in July 2011. By January, I went to see a doctor to see why I wasn't getting pregnant and was put on metformin. I was diagnosed with PCOS and they thought the metformin would stimulate my ovaries. It did. I initially got pregnant in April, but had an early miscarriage in May. I started seriously testing for ovulation in June and was pregnant by the end of July. We were headed out of town for my niece's 2nd birthday from July 31-Aug 7. AF was due 8/6. I took a digital test in the hotel room on 8/5, and it was came up "not pregnant". Our flight on 8/7 was ridiculously early, so I decided to test that morning before the flight and that one came up "pregnant". I am convinced it was all the water slides and roller coasters I went on with my 10 year old nephew that made this baby stick.

How did you tell SO?

I just left the test on the sink in the hotel bathroom. He knew I was expecting AF the day before and he knew that we timed things correctly ovulation-wise, but since I seemed to ovulate later in July than normal, I wasn't sure if things were back to normal yet. He saw the test (mind you, it was like 3am) as we got ready to go to the airport and he yelled the ever-romantic words, "You're preggers?! Yay!". 

I waited a little while to tell my mom as I told her pretty early the previous pregnancy that resulted in an early miscarriage. I'm pretty sure it was a few weeks after the positive test. I sent her a picture msg of the positive test. I started to tell my step-sisters, brother and BFF at about 8 weeks. DH told his family at about 11 weeks (after our dating ultrasound) (his choice). I announced on facebook a few days later.

There's no way ... and I hope this one sticks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How did you find out you were pregnant?:  My husband and I had been trying unsuccessfully for 11 months.  We had one chemical pregnancy, and a lot of irregular cycles.  I had been temping and I finally figured out that I didn't ovulate when I thought.  So I took at test on day 26 and it was negative, big surprise.  Then on day 28 my hubby went fishing about an hour away from home.  I took a test figuring it would be negative since I didn't have any symptoms and my tests every month were ALWAYS negative.  I sat down on the tub next to the test and waiting and it was POSITIVE! :)

How did you tell SO?: My hubby came home from fishing and was royally pissed off because he got a flat tire on his ride home.  I told him I was really sorry that he was having a bad day but that I had some news that was going to make it worse...I went through our finances and some things came up and he wasn't going to be able to get a motorcycle this year.  He was mad and said "What now?"  So I showed him a picture of my positive test on my phone.  He got a little grin and said "What is that?"  I said "What does it look like?"  He said "It says First Response." I said "What does the other part say?"  He said "I don't know I can't read it without my glasses!"  Then I told him he was going to be a daddy and he couldn't stop smiling.

How did you tell your family?:  We sent his parents an edible arrangement that said "Dear Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Whitney, I can't wait to meet you in April!  Love, Baby Wesson".  We gave each of my family members baby item shaped cookies by design that said "grandma", "aunt", etc.  They all loved it.

What were your first thoughts?: Holy crap, for real?!  FINALLY!!!!
  • Options

How did you find out you were pregnant?

I said it then and I'll continue saying it til the day I die: I think it was a complete coincidence that we found out when we did. My mom practically begged me to take a test because I was super emotional all the time. I still don't think that was a symptom of my pregnancy because I'd been emotional for over a month- my brother had gotten married and then was being deployed for the first time, I was constantly crying even before I got pregnant.

I hadn't even missed my period yet but because I'd had a wonky (very short, very light and three days early) period the month before, she thought for sure that had just been implantation bleeding and I was totally preggers. So I took the test. I thought it was negative so I shoved it back in the box and went back to bed. I got up later and went to the bathroom and decided just randomly to look at the test again. Well, it was positive. Very faintly positive, but positive. I ended up taking two more tests (one negative, one faint positive) and saying "Screw it" and calling my doctor who saw me immediately because I'd been on the pill. Based on my EDD, I was 3 weeks 6 days at my doctor's appointment, so barely pregnant.

So my mom ended up being right, but again I think it was just a bizarre coincidence.

How did you tell SO?

I ran screaming into the bedroom and made him check to make sure it was positive.

I called my brother right after my doctor's appointment and told him because he was scheduled to be deployed the next day and I didn't want to have to tell him in an email. Everyone else found out because my brother and SIL have big mouths lol.

After the initial just "Oh my God" there was "Please let this baby be okay." followed by "Oh God, what the hell is going to happen with SO?" and then eventually, "If it's a boy, I want it to be a Slytherin. Gryffindor for a girl." 

BFP #2:8/10/2012 - EDD 4/20/2012 Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP #1: 7/12/2011 - Miscarriage 7/13/2011 - EDD 3/6/2012 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

DH and I had been trying for almost 2 years without success. So I'd kinda given up. I knew I was supposed to start my period earlier that week but hadn't given in to a test because I'd gone through about a 100 tests leading up to that point and was tired of having my hopes dashed. Plus I had no symptoms. The next part of this may sound really wacky to many. My dad passed away on 1/1 a few years ago and so my family always has believed that when we see 1:11 or 11:11 on the clock or really anywhere that that's my dad's sign to us that he's okay. It's kinda our opportunity to stop and say "hi dad, we miss you." So on my drive home from  work it hit 11:11 and I saw the clock and was like "hi dad!" Then twenty minutes later, I looked down again and saw that my mileage gauge was on 51,111 and was thinking "okay, that's weird , but hey dad I miss you!" Then, five minutes later I saw my distance reading which showed I'd travelled 111.1 miles since I'd refueled and I was like "okay dad, what on earth are you trying to tell me!?!" Then I just got a feeling that I needed to test, so when I got home I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I like to think that it was my dad's way of helping us out, which is why when we found out we were having a son, we decided his middle name HAD to be my dad's name.

How did you tell SO? 

The day after I found out I was pregnant DH and I had planned to go to Disneyland since we have annual passes. We got there and waited to get on the tram. While on the tram, we sat behind the most adorable 3-year-old little boy who was excitedly grabbing his dad's arm and saying how excited he was and telling his dad all the characters he wanted to see and all the fun stuff they had to do that day. DH got this big goofy grin and turn to me and said "I sooo want a kid." It took everything in me to not start bawling then and there, but I held it in. We got to the gate, I grabbed a park map and told DH I had to go to the bathroom. I went into the bathroom, opened the map, and took a sharpie I brought with me in my purse and put big "X's" over the rides I couldn't go on anymore, the wrote "GUESS WHAT???" on the bottom of the map. When I came out he was sitting on a bench so I sat down and gave him the map and told him to open it. He did and was like "hey someone wrote on our map!" I then told him that I was pregnant and he was soo shocked. He spent the whole day googly-eyed over every father-son/daughter pair he saw, looked into every store for baby stuff, and insisted we buy a onesie (our first baby purchase) to commemorate the occasion. It was adorable! And we saved the map so we have a cute memento for our son's baby book.

Nothing special, we just told them :) 

Ohmygoodness is this for real? I NEVER thought I'd see TWO lines!!!!! 

• Options

DH and I got married on July 21 and didn't have sex our whole engagement because I wanted to get off birth control to start trying as soon as we were married. I was set to start my period Aug. 17 and on Aug. 18 DH forced me to take a test. Big Fat Positive first try!!!!

How did you tell SO?

The second line appeared immediately and when I walked out of the bathroom and said, "oh my god!" DH was like "you didn't wait 3 minutes" I told him "I dont think this second line is going to disappear in 2 minutes honey!" He was shocked beyond belief!!!

I called my Dad and his wife and they were stuck in traffic on their way home from vacation. It was her b-day. I told her I had a present for her but she couldn't have it until April. At first she was confused but after a couple seconds she was like "OMG!!!!!" They knew we were trying.

I couldn't believe I got pregnant like on our honeymoon (still can't)!! First time ever trying. We were truely blessed!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How did you find out you were pregnant? Anything more obvious than "I took a test" We were trying and I took the test.  Nothing exciting.

How did you tell SO? My DH  and I love cars and motorcycles.  My DH has a Jeep Wrangler, so i got a Powerwheels Jeep and parked it next to his Jeep with a note on it from the baby to Daddy.  He loved it! :)

How did you tell your family? We gave our parents a poem from the baby in a baby frame.  We gave my sisters "Auntie" onsies.  And we gave his sister a "Auntie" card and gift from the baby for her birthday.

What were your first thoughts? I was both really excited, but also really nervous.  It took a while for it to sink in that I was pregnant and we were having a baby!
  • Options

How did you find out you were pregnant? My answer is not so fun here. We were seeing a fertility specialist so I was praying and hoping for it but I did start feeling a little weird so talked myself into testing a couple days early.

How did you tell SO? I couldn't wait to tell him! I get home from work before him so I tested and kept the test in my pocket and handed it to him as soon as he walked in the door.

How did you tell your family? My mom knew almost right away because she was my support through the infertility battle. I made her keep quiet for a while. For my Dad and sister, I text them my 7 week pic and for the inlaws we made a coming soon card of my DH with a onsie held up to his head.

What were your first thoughts? Although I was extremely happy, I couldn't get the mc thoughts out of my head. Every week has been a milestone for me!

TTC since Dec 2010
    12/2011 s/a- all clear
    01/2012 BFP- 02/2012 c/p
    03/2012 HSG- blocked left tube & deformed uterus
    03/2012 u/s revealed left pelvic kidney & unicornate uterus
    04/2012 MRI- confirmation of kidney & uterus (no left tube/ hidden left ovary)
    06/2012 IUI #1 cancelled due to early o
    07/2012 Letrozole + trigger + IUI + progesterone supps= BFP!!!
    BG born 3/24/13

11/2013 Surprise BFP!!!! EDD 7/7/14
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had suspicions I was pregnant during a weekend I visited my sister out-of-state and realized it'd been five weeks since my last period. Later that week, as I climbed into bed, a huge wave of nausea hit and I ran to the bathroom to throw up dinner (very out of the ordinary...it had been YEARS since the last time I threw up). Within the next few days I took a test early in the morning and watched the little window and it was positive before the three minutes were up.

i took the test to our bedroom, shook DH awake and when he groggily turned the other way, shook him again. He opened his eyes and asked "hey, what's up?" And I showed him the test saying "ummm..."  He quickly shut his eyes again and put his hand on my leg (we were not trying for a baby yet)

I bought my mom some bibs that said "I'd rather eat dinner at grandma's". When she opened them, she didnt even understand what they meant because my brother and his wife had JUST had a baby. When she looked at me all confused she smiled and shook her head saying "no!" And gave me a huge hug. Told my dad over the phone (out of state) and he freaked out and was so happy. We told the in-laws by showing them the first u/s pictures. They looked at them, asked "where is this baby?" And I pointed at my stomach and said "right here". They screamed and freaked. We found out very early...so we waited weeks to tell family.

Our first thoughts were "okay, now what?" (Which, i suspect is exactly what will happen when we bring LO home from the hospital :) )

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"