Special Needs

Tips on taking medicine??

DD has been on phenobarbital since she was born.  She's gone in a few phases where she didn't want to take her meds but this time it's really bad.  She needs to take them to control seizures.  Her neuro said we can try mixing it with 1 ounce of juice, but that's it.  We've tried the syringe on the side of her cheek, a small medicine dropper, different cups (sippy cup, straw, regular glass....), mixed it with prune juice and mixed it with apple juice.  She refuses to take it and we're out of ideas.  She's totally off her schedule and isn't getting the right daily dosage.  Do you guys have any ideas?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tips on taking medicine??

• Does she eat yogurt? We sometimes mix medicine with a small amount of yogurt and get the kids to take it that way. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't remember how old your daughter is but can you mix it with food?  Can you give her some sort of reward for taking it?
  • Loading the player...
  • We went through this 2 years ago with DS1.  Do they flavor it? You could try asking for a new flavor next time, sometimes it seemed like he got sick of it.  Also, not sure how you feel about this, but canned icing.  It's so sweet and such a treat.  I would give DS some on a paci or my finger, mostly to get him to open his mouth.  and then slip in some meds, a bit more icing, more meds until it was gone.  He got maybe a half a teaspoon of icing each dose, he gets meds 3 times a day.  
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • imagethehoneybadger:
    Does she eat yogurt? We sometimes mix medicine with a small amount of yogurt and get the kids to take it that way. 

Yes, she loves yogurt but can smell that phenobarb from a mile away.  She notices it right away and won't eat anymore (she has to take 17 ml/day).  She is really stubborn - if we try that and she knows the meds were in it once, she won't eat yogurt any more - we have to switch the dish we put it in so she doesn't see it coming, crazy!

• imageMaxandRuby:
    I don't remember how old your daughter is but can you mix it with food?  Can you give her some sort of reward for taking it?

I'm actually going to go to the store later to see what I can put it in.  She's a very picky eater so must choose carefully :) 

• imageToastieSimons:
    We went through this 2 years ago with DS1.  Do they flavor it? You could try asking for a new flavor next time, sometimes it seemed like he got sick of it.  Also, not sure how you feel about this, but canned icing.  It's so sweet and such a treat.  I would give DS some on a paci or my finger, mostly to get him to open his mouth.  and then slip in some meds, a bit more icing, more meds until it was gone.  He got maybe a half a teaspoon of icing each dose, he gets meds 3 times a day.  

I wish this worked - would be the easiest fix, but nope...we've tried 3 different flavors, lol

Thanks for all your replies :)

• Sir I is the same way, and also on meds to control seizures. At 4 is he now too big to sit on and force down his throat, so I get 1 of his meds in capsule form, take it apart and sprinkle in a spoonful of apple sauce. The other med is in a disovable pill form, so it disovles in apple juice then is mixed into the apple sauce. The 3rd med is crushed and mixed into apple sauce too. If he is resistant to the apple sauce I tempt him with a bannana - 1 mouthful of apple sauce, one bite of bannana. We do this at mealtimes too when he refuses to eat what he's served, seems he'll do anything for bannana! 

So, have you tried getting the Kepra in a different form instead of liquid that she may not be able to taste, if it is available? And then hide from her when you're mixing it up?

image image
  • Ds was on liquid prednisone and a few other foul meds at that age. I never mixed his meds in with anything. I used the syringe and got him to open and had the barrel of the syringe so the end was close to the back of his throat so it bypassed most of his taste buds. I also let him help push the plunger. He was on pill form by 4, it made it much easier, no more nasty medicine flavors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"