October 2011 Moms
Options

pukeing in the car?

My lo has just started puking anytime she rides in the car, what the heck is up with that? She has recently been sick (strep and bad double ear infections) and about the time she was getting over it was when she started, so maybe it is related? I have no experince with this and it scares the hell out of me when were driving down the rode and she starts projectile vomiting. Yesterday she started chokeing on it, and I had to quickily pull over and grab her out of her seat. Any advice?

Re: pukeing in the car?

• Options
    Talk to your doctor.  I've known kids who get sick in the car, but never projectile vomiting.

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• Options
    "Motion sickness from fluid in the ear", thats what I was thinking too. We have to travel 3 hours to a hospitail to have tubes put in and I am dreading having her sick the whole time. Any tips to ease it? I thought about turning her car seat just for the long trip, but that makes me nervous.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelisajay09:
    I doubt anyone will like this idea, but if it were me, and I had that long of a trip that she could be getting sick, and potentially risking dehydration, I'd give her a dose of benedryl before the ride so she can sleep through it. Extreme situations call for extreme measures, IMO. Maybe ask the doctor what they recommend. Maybe they can prescribe her an anti nausea med. good luck.

I would definitely take her to the pedi because I don't think projectile vomiting is normal. But I know of a few local pedis who suggest giving them Benadryl before a flight so I don't see why you couldn't do it for a long car ride.

• Options
    she is having surgery (the reason for the long car ride) and i dont know if she could have benadryl before it. I am def gonna put a call into her doctor nd see f her puking is normal. She has been so sick, but she is doing so much better. Unless we are in the car she seems 100% fine.
  • Options
    imagelisajay09:
    I doubt anyone will like this idea, but if it were me, and I had that long of a trip that she could be getting sick, and potentially risking dehydration, I'd give her a dose of benedryl before the ride so she can sleep through it. Extreme situations call for extreme measures, IMO. Maybe ask the doctor what they recommend. Maybe they can prescribe her an anti nausea med. good luck.

We give DD Benadryl for her runny nose probably 2 to 3x/ month per the pedi. If we had a long car ride and she was going to be sick and miserable, then I wouldn't hesitate.
  • Options
    If you have to FF her for the ride so you can see her, don't feel bad. We have Gator RF except during long car rides, she is FF. She has to eat in the car and there is no way I am going to feed her while she is rear facing, if she were to silently choke, I wouldn't be able to see her. If Gator was puking in the car, I would spin her around to FF so I could see her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options

imageElsa1984:
    If you have to FF her for the ride so you can see her, don't feel bad. We have Gator RF except during long car rides, she is FF. She has to eat in the car and there is no way I am going to feed her while she is rear facing, if she were to silently choke, I wouldn't be able to see her. If Gator was puking in the car, I would spin her around to FF so I could see her.

Why couldn't you pull over to feed her?

• Options
    DS has puked in the car on long car trips and I have considered turning him FF during those trips if the puking was to continue. Luckily we never had to resort to that. I am thinking that in your case it may be due to your DD being sick but it could just be motion sickness. I would definitely just check in with the pedi and see what they recommend.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Motion sickness is motion sickness regardless if they are RF or FF. my DD didn't start getting car sick until we turned her FF, so that isn't the cure.

i would ask the pedi.   

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options
    imagejonnygurl76:

Motion sickness is motion sickness regardless if they are RF or FF. my DD didn't start getting car sick until we turned her FF, so that isn't the cure.

i would ask the pedi.   

I think it depends on the kids what makes them likely to puke. Do you remember the old station wagons with RF bench seats in the back? I knew plenty of kids that would puke if they sat in that seat as opposed to the FF bench seats. I have also known kids that will puke if they are in the back seat but are OK in the front seat (which is no longer allowed but anyway..).

I agree that RF is best but on the other hand if my kid is puking the whole 10 hour trip I have to make for business then I may have no choice but to try FF. Luckily we have not had to resort to that so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I haven't run into this problem, but I would sure as shizz try other things before turning my LO FF. An accident while FF can cause irreparable damage, FFS (pun intended).

OP, I have heard they make children's dramamine but I don't know if our LOs are old enough or if it is safe before surgery. I would check with pedi.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagelisajay09:

I agree.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagecantalopes24:

imageElsa1984:

Why couldn't you pull over to feed her?

She eats all.the.time. If we stopped every 10min when she wanted to eat something, we would never get anywhere.....especially on a 6 to 15 hour drive.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    I was one of those kids. A 20 minute car ride warranted 3 puke stops. From what I hear, it started around a year.

It made me worse when there was new car smell. To this day, new car smell makes me puke horribly.

Things helping with car sickness:
    1. Ginger. Tea, candy, chews. My guess would be ginger tea may work best for a toddler.
    2. Ask your doc for motion sickness meds. Just be aware that they often make tired and horribly grumpy.
    3. Focus baby's attention to a point straight ahead. Since they are still RFing, a mirror, DVD player whatever may be good. Looking out the window is bad. With landscape racing by, that is what makes it bad.
    4. My mother used to put a newspaper on my belly on long drives. It helped. Something about the ink, is my guess. Worth a try.

Other than that... Sorry, that sucks. Some kids grow out of it. I did not. It got better, but it is still not completely gone.

And, btw, for me it had nothing to do with ears.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sounds like motion sickness.  One of my girls gets it BAD.  Flame away - she's forward facing because I have enough to deal with, and cleaning puke out of my van/car seat every day isn't going to happen.  Since she's been FF she hasn't gotten sick once.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"