Pregnant after 35
Options

Co-Q10 + DHEA questions

Hi there,

I've noticed a lot of you ladies 40 and over talking about the supplements Co-Q10 and DHEA and I was just wondering a few things if you don't mind sharing?  I am experiencing my 4th early loss and looking to try something new and I've noticed a lot of you having success with such supplements.

My questions are: 1.) how did you decide the dosage (doc or internet or something else) and 2.) Did you stop when you got a positive pg test?  3.) how long were you taking before your BFP? 4.) Are you taking 1 or both or anything else noteworthy?

I'm interested in trying but just very nervous because I have a such a weird, rare autoimmune disease and always scared something is going to make it flare, but then again, I've read how these things can help so... 

Thanks in advance for your help.  Could use a little hope.  Thanks. 

Me-42 DH-43 TTC #1 since 3/11
HSG 7/11 showed possible blockage
8/11 BFP, then early m/c  (Natural)
9/11 blood tests reveal Factor V Leiden (heterozygous)
11/11 Hysteroscopy revealed uterine septum, which was repaired
12/11 1st round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN
1/12 2nd round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN 
2/12 Repeat HSG=All clear 
2/12 IUI with injectables #1=BFN 
3/12 natural cycle=BFN 
4/12 IUI with injectables #2=C/P 
7/12 IVF #1=30ER, 9F, 3T, 1 Frostie 7/29=BFP! 
8/27/12 No Heartbeat. Waiting to M/C 
9/13/12 D+C
12/12 Operative Hysteroscopy 
1/31/12  IVF#2 ...BFP 2/6 m/c 2/12 methotrexate due to presumed ectopic
July '13 IVF #3: 13R, 10M, 8F=BFP
1st Beta=549  2nd Beta 594 3rd Beta 422. M/C #5
IVF#4 in November=BFP…TWINS!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Co-Q10 + DHEA questions

• Options

Factor V Leiden is a clotting disorder, right?  I believe people with clotting disorders are specifically warned NOT to take DHEA supplements.  https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dhea/NS_patient-dhea/DSECTION=safety  Definitely check with your RE about it before taking it.  You definitely are supposed to stop taking it when pg.

I took DHEA for about 8 weeks before my surprise BFP, but most of the research I saw said you need to be on it at least 12 weeks to see any real benefit in terms of egg quality, and preferably for 4 months.  The usual dosage is 25mg three times a day (total of 75mg a day).  I had to reduce mine to 50mg a day because it caused me to have heart palpitations (a common side effect).  I took it on the advice of the clinic where I got a second opinion (my RE didn't use it, but said he didn't think it would hurt in my case, so I went ahead and started taking it to prep for IVF). The RE that recommended it specifically said that it's important to get it directly from a compounding pharmacy because the OTC supplements don't have strict quality controls and so you might not be getting the amount they say is in each pill. 

I did not take Co-Q10 at all, so I don't know much about it, other than the RE recommended it for my DH to take to help with sperm quality. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I'm not over 40 yet (almost 38, dh is 32) and barely pregnant with #2.  I was almost 36 (dh 30) when I conceived #1 which was diagnosed with Trisomy 13.  I've been taking OTC prenatals and DHA since trying for #1 and I never stopped.  Been ttc since Aug '12 and started taking CoQ10 in Nov.  No experience with DHEA.

So to answer your questions 1.) pretty sure I read a lot online about dosage and decided on 200mg/day for both dh and I, since there is some study it can benefit the sperm as well (thought it couldn't hurt)  2.)I did stop as soon as I got a BFP.  3.)I was taking it for about 2 months.  4.)Just taking the prenatal and dha currently.  Since you already have other health problems, I would just ask your dr if they saw any harm to you trying it, weather they think it will work or not- you don't want to do further damage to yourself. 

A quick google gave me this https://www.livestrong.com/article/355158-coq10-fertility/ 

Good luck on your journey. 

BFP#1: EDD 10/11/11 Our sweet boy Robin was born 7 weeks a little early on 8/23/11 due to HELLP syndrome, unfortunately he was diagnosed with Trisomy13 and left us on 8/29/11. BFP#2: EDD 10/13/13
    thelossblog.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My RE put me on DHEA and Co-Q10 prior to my BFP. 

My doctor drew labs for the DHEA and had a special pharmacy prepare it for me.  I was on it 3 months prior to my BFP.  I was told that it takes at least 3 months to make any difference in your body (eggs).  After I started it they rechecked my labs in 2 weeks to make sure my dose was okay.  

My Dr. also told me to take CoQ10.  I can't remember if it was 600-800mg.  I was on the CoQ10 much longer then the DHEA.  Probably a few months longer.  I stopped both when I got the BFP.   

I was diagnosed with MTHFR and they still said it was ok to take the DHEA.  I just have to take a baby ASA up until 30 weeks of my pregnancy.  

Good luck to you

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I think I took 200mg of the Co-Q10, just based on my own research. I will say for the time i took it, I felt like I had more energy. Could have been all in my head but who knows. I stopped taking it immediately when I got my bfp.

I didn't want to take the DHEA unless my Dr. recommended it or was going to monitor it. After researching it, it seemed to me to be something that is powerful enough to require some kind of monitoring of input from a medical professional.

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the info. It helps.  I'm going to proceed with Co-Q10 for now and see what happens.
    Me-42 DH-43 TTC #1 since 3/11
    HSG 7/11 showed possible blockage
    8/11 BFP, then early m/c  (Natural)
    9/11 blood tests reveal Factor V Leiden (heterozygous)
    11/11 Hysteroscopy revealed uterine septum, which was repaired
    12/11 1st round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN
    1/12 2nd round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN 
    2/12 Repeat HSG=All clear 
    2/12 IUI with injectables #1=BFN 
    3/12 natural cycle=BFN 
    4/12 IUI with injectables #2=C/P 
    7/12 IVF #1=30ER, 9F, 3T, 1 Frostie 7/29=BFP! 
    8/27/12 No Heartbeat. Waiting to M/C 
    9/13/12 D+C
    12/12 Operative Hysteroscopy 
    1/31/12  IVF#2 ...BFP 2/6 m/c 2/12 methotrexate due to presumed ectopic
    July '13 IVF #3: 13R, 10M, 8F=BFP
    1st Beta=549  2nd Beta 594 3rd Beta 422. M/C #5
    IVF#4 in November=BFP…TWINS!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hey there, I was introduced to DHEA from my 2nd opinion RE and was told to take 25 MG three times daily. It was to be taken for prep for my egg quality for IVF in January. I was diagnosed with low AMH and high FSH @ 37 yr and we had been trying for 1 1/2 yr.  I took DHEA for about 4 months and I am currently 13 weeks pregnant Au natural!!!:) I believe the combo of DHEA/Accupunture/clean diet/faith brought us here today. Be open to researching traditional chinese medicine and educate yourself, doctors are great but they are only going to go off of the results they see on paper. So many things can interfere in fertility (unbalanced hormones/toxins), some of these we can change naturally keep the faith and sending you sticky baby vibesWink
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"