October 2011 Moms

Checking in from MA

Holy crap that was a crazy 48 hours... let me try to recap it for you...

Friday around noon time it started snowing pretty steadily. The MBTA shut down at 330pm, so MH was able to get out of work early.  They were predicting that most of the coastal cities (where I live) would lose power at some point during the storm. We got as many candles and flashlights as we could find just to be prepared. The lights kept flickering from about 7pm-10pm.. and at 1015pm we lost power completely.

Let me tell you.. having no heat sucks. L was already asleep, so I picked her up from her crib and brought her in bed w/ us so she wouldn't freeze.  We woke up around 630am and still no power.

We listened to this old school battery-operated radio MH had and the Govenor had issued a driving ban until 4pm Saturday. If you chose to drive, you would either get a $500. ticket or up to a year in jail. Not that there was anywhere to go anyway lol. Even Dunkin Donuts was closed! Surprise

At this point our house was absolutely freezing.  My MIL still had power, so we waited until the driving ban was lifted and headed over to her house. It was about a 40 minute drive and the only roads that weren't that bad were the highways.. it was nuts.

My dad and brothers stayed home Saturday night and said that they could see their breath inside the house. I am so glad we decided to drive to MILs! We finally got power back at 6am this morning, so we are home safe and sound :-)

Sorry again for the novel... I hope the other MA ladies are doing ok! This blizzard was no joke.. we are still shoveling out! (and by "we" I mean MH, dad, and brothers lol)

PS: I would've updated earlier, but I don't have a smartphone so I don't have TB mobile version... I'm stuck in the 90's Cool

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Checking in from MA

• Glad to hear all is well! I have seen some pics on Parenting. Nuts how much snow you received. It definitely provides future stories. Stay safe!

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagelisajay09:
    Glad you're ok. We, to, were pummeled by the blizzard. 32 inches if snow!!! We were lucky to keep power, but my sister didnt have power until 2:00 this afternoon. No roads were plowed. Cars were stranded everywhere. Major disaster. Our front and back doors had 34 foot drifts blocking them from opening. We were literally TRAPPED in our townhouse since Friday night. Finally, this afternoon I heard plows and the snow removal crew came to dig us all out. What a freaking nightmare!! ETA: 3 to 4 foot drifts. 34 would be insanity.

34 foot drifts would be insane .. although 3 to 4 ft is pretty nuts, too!

The neighborhood down the road from us had to evacuate (even closer to the water) and my aunt who lives there said there was a car floating in the water in front of her house!

I'm glad to hear that you are finally dug out... being trapped inside your house is only fun for like an hour and then you realize you might go crazy.

• Loading the player...
  • Glad everyone is ok! H actually worked until 3 pm then took the last bus home before the T closed down and the travel ban started. I had the day off from school so DD and I were just snowed in all day Friday.

I'll tell you one thing that didn't close around here though. The liquor store around the corner. They were still open! That's Southie for you!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagecolleenb262:
    Glad everyone is ok! H actually worked until 3 pm then took the last bus home before the T closed down and the travel ban started. I had the day off from school so DD and I were just snowed in all day Friday. I'll tell you one thing that didn't close around here though. The liquor store around the corner. They were still open! That's Southie for you!

Haha that does not surprise me one bit!

My SIL lives in Southie and she said all the cars parked on the streets are covered in snow... she took a picture of a mini-cooper and literally all you could see was its antenna it was nuts.

• Yuck! Glad you and your family are ok!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glad you are ok. We got 28 inches out in worcester but luckily didn't lose our power.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I've seen of your area on the news and on Facebook is crazy. So much snow! I'm glad you are all ok and we're able to stay warm!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"