Food Allergy
Options

If one child has allergies, is another likely to?

We have two kids, but they aren't bio related, so it hasn't been an issue with them.  However I am pg with #3 and it's our bio child who has the allergies.  Does anyone know if it's likely this baby will have allergies?  We have like NO allergies in our family, so I don't assume it's genetic, but still curious.

Our household all eats the same, so it's not probably going to be a big deal at home, I just don't want for another child to have to go through what my son has had to go through.

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image

Re: If one child has allergies, is another likely to?

• Options
    I'm in a similar boat. My son has multiple food allergies and we are TTC. I have been advised not to eat anything in excess so, I will limit my milk intake, etc. I also wil not take fenugreek when I am breastfeeding due to in the same family as peanuts. I am also going to speak to my allergist and see what he suggests. That may be a good idea for you too. 
  • Options
    I asked DD's allergist about this and he said that the latest research indicates that there isn't really anything you can do in pregnancy to prevent it.  With DD I didn't eat any of her allergen foods in excess.   

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great question. I was told by my allergist and a geneticist that breast feeding is a great way for me to protect my future babies but other than that they said we may be SOL.  But DH and I both have severe asthma and allergies. On a side note, I grew out of a shellfish and citrus allergy, only allergic to eggs now. There's hope! 
  • Options
    Our allergist told us that because DD1 has allergies, it increases the likelihood that DD2 will have them.  So far though, DD2 isn't showing the signs that DD1 did--she's never had eczema or had a reaction to a food.  DD1 had reactions from an early age and she had bad eczema starting around 3 months of age.  I'm crossing my fingers that DD2 will be luckier.
  • Options
    Probably not what you wanted to hear, but both DD and DS have a milk allergy. Fortunately, that is the only food that both of them tested positively to in the tests.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I bf #2, and I was already avoiding eggs, milk, peanuts and tree nuts (what #1 is allergic to).  She so far has not had tree nuts or peanuts, but she has no other issues.  I think the likelihood is stronger, but it isn't a definite!
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options
    Also, congrats on the bigger family!  I remember you from when you had your first!
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

imageCourt0026:
    Also, congrats on the bigger family!  I remember you from when you had your first!

Thanks!  My DS has the same allergies as your DS, minus cat, add in certain dogs.

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"