1st Trimester
Options

Hook Effect?

I'm legit freaking. I'm around 6.5 - 7 weeks along.  Had a bag of those cheapie preg tests so of course I take them because I'm neurotic and love seeing those two pink lines. ;)  

I took one and it was positive but very very light. So I read online about this: the good, the bad, the indifferent and came across the possibility of the hook effect - that my hormones are SO high it's giving screwy results on the stick. So I gave it a shot and double dipped- one in the reg urine and one in diluted urine. It came back way darker on the diluted urine.  

Should I be worried? Or is this something that is really legit and not just an "old wives tale" of prego message boards...  

Re: Hook Effect?

• Options
    Thanks! Still having all the normal preg symptoms and so far no bleeding/cramps. Fingers crossed this isn't a bad sign.  Don't go in for an ultrasound until Feb 25th. 
  • Options
    The hook effect is totally legit obviously seeing as your diluted pee showed up darker.
    But put down the tests already!!!! I know we all do it but its not worthy king yourself crazy over!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unless you are having severe bleeding or cramping I wouldn't worry. :) I'm sure everything is just fine!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The hook effect is actually legit, yes, although somewhat uncommon from what I understand. But put down the pee sticks! They're only going to stress you out -- as you've already found!

• Options
    I had the same thing happen at about 6 weeks. I'd read about the hook effect before and was curious. Apparently it's real! I've got a Doppler and listen to my baby's heartbeat almost everyday, so I'm not worried about it. But no more peeing on things!
    DS-"Sprocket" born 3.27.11 Baby #2- due 9.10.13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend anymore peeing on a stick OR any dopplers. Both can freak you the hell out for no reason! If you get a doppler and the baby is moving a lot or you just can't find the heartbeat simply because you're not a professional... you are gonna freak out too.

My babies 1st pregnancy and this pregnancy move around so much that ultrasound techs and nurses have had trouble finding them.

Just save your sanity by trusting your instincts, true signs and the doctor. Not by trusting pee tests and dopplers.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

PUT DOWN THE PREGNANCY TESTS.

At about 5 weeks I kept testing with those digital ones that tell you how far along you were and one told me that I was only 1-2 weeks or something and I freaked out. Everything was fine, but if you keep testing your going to get a weird result that's going to scare you. You're pregnant and in the unlikely event that something does go wrong you will know. As long as you are not bleeding red blood and cramping you and your baby are doing just fine. ((hugs))

• Options
    Lurking from second tri...

Seriously, don't worry about it. I had the same thing happen, and baby appears to be totally fine: good ultrasound, heartbeat on Doppler, etc. From what I have read, when the HCG becomes very concentrated, it overwhelms the test, producing a lighter line. Do what I did and step away from the tests! I know it will be hard to do, but you will seriously drive yourself nuts if you keep taking them!
  • Options
    Thanks :) I know. This was from a couple weeks ago and I have restrained to not take anymore tests. I appreciate all the advice. I'm definitely one of those pregos that should NOT get a doppler for obvious reasons ;)
  • Options

okay, so I did the same thing.  I am 8.5 weeks along and am completely neurotic about the preggers tests. 

I get the cheapo tests that are sold on Amazon for like $0.25/test....but they work amazing!  So early on I was  really loving watching my lines get darker and darker as my pregnancy became more legit.  Then I stopped for a while as I became more confident that this little nugget was going to "stick".   ....until yesterday.  I wound up taking a test and my line came back super light pink....light barely visible.  I took another...and it was exactly the same....super light pink   I panicked and cried....then started researching. 

I did find out some info that stated once your HcG gets to a certain level it "confuses" the home preggers test.  So I ran a little experiment.  I tested again in regular strength urine....super light pink line.  Then I took a second test and DILUTED the heck out of my urine....at least 10 parts water to 1 part urine (I know I sound like the mad scientist).  With the diluted urine I had a beautiful dark purple line....darker than the control line.  What a relief!!!!!! 

From now on, I am vowing not to test anymore!  Not worth the stress and heartache.....It's all in God's hands anyway! 

• Options
    JostoriesJostories member
    edited September 2014
    I have a ton of Wondfo Pregnancy Test Strips left, so I've been checking frequently too although I had my BFP back in August.  I'm about 6 weeks along now.  The other day, I got a little worried as the line which had been getting darker each time I checked was now lighter!  I'm so glad I found more information on the Hook Effect.  To test it out myself to be sure, I did 3 tests:
    1-urine only
    2-half urine, half water
    3-just stuck the strip in the toilet bowl (I know...gross, but that meant it was super diluted with water!)

The urine only came out light, the half urine/water was dark as the control line, and the toilet bowl mix was darker than the urine-only but not as dark as the half/half.   Interesting!
  • Options
    I tested at 18 weeks with diluted and regular urine. The line was the same strength. Hook effect is very rare and the line color can depend on many factors.
  • Options
    oops zombbbiie thread
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"