International Bumpies

S/O Canadian Mat Leave

Has anyone taken vacation days before officially starting their mat leave? I'm due March 14th, but was planning on my last day at work to be March 1st, and using my vacation bank up until my due date.

I know there is a 2 week waiting period for EI benefits, but does that 2 week period start on my due date or when the baby is actually born?

I'm just worried about $$ if my baby is overdue, and I've stopped my vacation pay on the 13th....what happens in between?

Also, when can I send my application in for benefits? The Service Canada website says to send it in as soon as you've stopped working, for me would this be when I start my vacation leave? Or do I do this on my due date?

I tried calling Service Canada to actually speak to someone but I just get a recording that their call center volume is high and it directs me to use the internet for information. Ugh! Won't put me on hold to wait.

DD born 3/23/2013; Baby #2 EDD 9/7/2015

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: S/O Canadian Mat Leave

• You can take vaca before mat leave if you have hours available. You would apply following you last day of vaca to make sure you are in payroll right up until your application date. That makes sure you get your full entitlement. There is always a 2 week wait unpaid. I don't think you can avoid that. My dd was born on her due date and on my last day of vacation before mat leave so I'm not sure how you update your baby's birth date, which they do need to know. Hope that helps a bit!

Above is what I was told and what I did when I went off work! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • the 2 week wait starts when your application has been approved. send it in ASAP

dont do anything on your due date. you need to send it in BEFORE 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I believe you would apply after your vacation (ie. the "last day of work" that will appear on your ROE as filled-out by your employer, which wouldn't be the day you left on vacation. It would be the last day of your vacation, I believe).  It's very important that you also file within FOUR weeks of your last day of employment.

You can start receiving benefits as early as the eighth week before your due date. Don't wait until your actual due date to fill-out the online application!  Although there's a 2-week waiting period (and that's from the date you apply for benefits, not from the date your application is approved), it took them almost SIX WEEKS to process my application.  They did back-date payments though (I applied for benefits online Jan 1 but it wasn't until February 8 that I received notification that my application had been approved, at which point I also received three payments all at once via direct deposit).

It looks as though you do need to let them know when the baby arrived if any date other than your EDD (which is silly, because what baby arrives right on time?!). I don't know how that works because you can never get ahold of another human being when you call their stupid 1-800 number anyway.

Also, don't make the mistake I did, which was to believe that my employer was sending in my ROE for me.  He's so $%^& afraid of technology that he didn't file online.  Instead, he sent in the paper one which apparently - as I found out later - Service Canada doesn't care for.  If it's not sent-in electronically for you, you need to go in to a Service Canada centre and give them your original PAPER copy once you receive it from your employer.  Be sure to take a photocopy for your records before you hand it over.

Taken directly off the gov't website in case I gave you any wrong info:

You should apply as soon as possible after you stop working, even if your employer has not issued your ROE yet. If you delay applying for benefits later than four weeks after your last day of work, you risk losing benefits.

Applying for EI maternity benefits

You can apply for EI maternity benefits before you give birth. In fact, you can start receiving benefits during the eighth week before your due date or before the actual week you give birth. You cannot receive EI maternity benefits more than 17 weeks after the week you were expected to give birth or the week you actually gave birth, whichever is later. When the actual date of birth is different from the expected date of birth, you must let us know the child's actual date of birth as soon as possible by calling 1-800-206-7218 (TTY: 1-800-529-3742) or by visiting a Service Canada Centre.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can't apply until after you've stopped working. So if you take vacation, you would apply after your vacation ends. The reason being is your employer needs to complete a record of employment (ROE) and they can't do this if you're on vacation because you're still on payroll. Just keep trying Service Canada, it's extremely fustrating to get a hold of them but when you do they are extremely helpful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You cannot use vacation time to fill in the 2 week waiting period. The 2 week waiting period is from the last day worked or last day you were on payroll if you take vacation. I've done the online application once I get home from hospital, and takes 24 weeks to get your 1st benefit. At least in mb. I also did my MIL sick leave, and she got her first benefit cheque in 3 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"