Baby Showers
Options

Baby Shower Invitation Wording

We are planning to host my baby shower this coming April at a local restaurant and need help with what to say on the invitation. Since we are hosting it at a local Italian restaurant, we will be providing soup, salad and tea/coffee for all our guests. However, if guest do not want we are offering I would like to give them the choice of ordering at their own expense. Is that considered improper etiquette?  Also, how can I prevent them bringing unwanted guests for the free food? Any suggestions on wording is appreciated.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Baby Shower Invitation Wording

• Options
    I don't know how to word this without sounding mean but that doesn't sound like a good idea to just offer soup and salad and coffee/tea.  Are you hosting this party for yourself?  I think if you are throwing yourself the shower instead of spending $$ on soup and salad just don't have a shower and buy what you need for your baby.  Any wording you are thinking of putting about having guests buy their own food sounds tacky and cheap.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A request for help phrasing a rude invitation for one's own shower - what a great second post!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No I am not hosting it for myself but am helping with planning. I understand it is rude and tacky not pay for anyone which is why the soup and salad seemed like a perfect idea. The restaurant is actually well known for their soups so I guess I thought it would fit. So not to sound rude but, basically if I do not pay for each guest for whatever they want to eat, it is considered tacky? Even if I am providing a meal? I'm just so confused. If I knew someone who had the space to host it at their home I would do that, but its just not a possibility. And I don't want my friends and family to spend hundreds of dollars on another venue plus food either. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't realize this was a blog for bashing. If I am asking for help it is probably because I am not aware of what is considered to be "rude" a simple answer saying it is not proper would have sufficed.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageaathompson0701:
    I didn't realize this was a blog for bashing. If I am asking for help it is probably because I am not aware of what is considered to be "rude" a simple answer saying it is not proper would have sufficed.  

This isn't a blog, FYI. It's a forum. Also, your HOSTS should be handling the invitations as well as the food. If the shower is being held during a mealtime, you should provide a meal. If it is not during a mealtime, soup and salad should be fine. 

But again, your HOSTS should be doing the planning. 

• Options

imageaathompson0701:

This isn't a blog.

Why not give them a choice between a couple entr?es? Chicken Alfredo or spaghetti with or without meatballs (vegetarian option) with soup or salad.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    No it is not considered tacky to have a pre-set menu.  Perhaps instead of wording the invitation just have menu's printed and set at each table so it's clear what's being offered.  I think this is better than having your host write something tacky on the invitation.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thank you, this sounds like a great idea mcooper014! I will definitely give my hosts the idea.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Aside from the obvious fact that this is NOT your problem, but something for your hostesses...

If I went to a shower at a restaurant that started between, say 11.30-1.30, I would assume it is a lunch. I think your time would dictate the fact that you are serving food.

I would NOT mention anything about the menu on the invite. If people walk into a restaurant shower with a set table and place cards they should get the message. Print menu cards if you want. 

Personally, I think it is way inappropriate to ask to order off the menu if your host is providing a seated lunch (if you have dietary restrictions, you should tell the host in advance). I think soup and salad is fine for lunch. The last luncheon shower I went to was a simple chicken salad with a side of fruit, sorbet for dessert, passed apps, wine, water and lemonade.  I think it is weird that people would show up at a luncheon ravenously hungry anyway. I always eat a small something before an event, especially if you do not know what they are serving. Food is generally not the main event at a party.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I wouldn't say anything on the invitation.  If someone asks, you certainly can tell them what you are providing.  Just ask the restaurant to print up a small menu of what you are offering or ask the server make an announcement. 

When I went to a restaurant shower,  we were in a back room and they just ordered an assortment of appetizers.  Menus weren't even offered. 

Are you serving anything like a bread too?   Maybe a nice appetizer would round out the meal a bit  ?

• Options
    I don't have any advice on the food.... But I find it odd that you're concerned that invited guests would bring uninvited guests. If there name is the only one on the invitation, they should know they are the only one invited? I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    imagelindsey61811:
    I don't have any advice on the food.... But I find it odd that you're concerned that invited guests would bring uninvited guests. If there name is the only one on the invitation, they should know they are the only one invited? I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    This is where I'm at too!  You really know people who would bring other people JUST for the 'free food'?  Yikes.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

There's a whole lot of improper etiquette going on here.

It's improper to host your own shower, and its improper to ask people to pay for their own meal.

As far as the uninvited guest factor - you can't prevent it but if you only address the invitation to the person you're actually inviting (ie only Aunt Mabel's name on the invite, not Uncle Herb, Aunt Mabel and the kids) that's the only person who should attend.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This whole thing just seems odd. Your friends and family have been in social settings before, right? They aren't cave men, are they? Assume they are smarter then you are giving them credit for.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

Who is the "we" in we are planning to host my baby shower? B/c it should not include yourself. That is all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just came across the forum and I think it's incredibly rude that everyone is bashing you just because you aren't doing things the normal way or with the most "etiquette". Who cares, do things the way YOU want to. Hardly anyone even tried to help answer the question but instead point out how it's all odd. Oh well, everyone is different. If you still need help with anything head over to the weddingbee.com, I switched to there when planning my wedding because I found that the online community is less judgmental and more helpful.
  • Options

If you are hosting a party, you should provide all the food. Soup and salad is not enough if it's at meal time. There is no way to word it because it's horribly rude. Also, if you have such rude friends who would bring guests who weren't invited, we can't help you. You address the invites to the invited people, asking for an rsvp. You'll have a good headcount then.

I'm not even going get into you hosting your own shower, which it seems like you are planning to do.  

• Options

imageaathompson0701:
    No I am not hosting it for myself but am helping with planning. I understand it is rude and tacky not pay for anyone which is why the soup and salad seemed like a perfect idea. The restaurant is actually well known for their soups so I guess I thought it would fit. So not to sound rude but, basically if I do not pay for each guest for whatever they want to eat, it is considered tacky? Even if I am providing a meal? I'm just so confused. If I knew someone who had the space to host it at their home I would do that, but its just not a possibility. And I don't want my friends and family to spend hundreds of dollars on another venue plus food either. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Have it at another time of the day instead of a true meal time like lunch or dinner and do appetizers/small plates and have your hosts provide enough food for everybody. If you are stuck on the soup/salad thing, you need to have it at lunch, print up menus and not offer anything else on the side. I personally don't think it's enough food, but at lunch it would be better than nothing I guess. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"