Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Fetal Echocardiogram Results

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but today we had to go get a fetal echocardiogram done.  During the anatomy scan they were unable to get good pictures of the heart and failed again in a followup appointment.  Today they were able to get good pictures, but unfortunately the baby was diagnosed with a ventricular septal defect.  It means there is a small hole between the left and right ventricals in the heart.  Doctor told us not to worry.  It shouldn't be serious and there is even a chance that it will close on its own before birth.  Baby will need to be seen by a cardiologist after birth.

Apparently this is a very common heart defect.  The doctor said 1 in 100 people have it.  It is genetic so any additional children we have will have a 3-5% chance of having a heart defect of any kind.  This defect generally leads to heart murmurs.

So we are we are trying to stay positive and take the doctors advice not to worry.  I'm not really concerned about it being really bad.  It just sucks that our little guy has a problem and there is nothing I can do about it.

Re: Fetal Echocardiogram Results

• Options

Bummer. Although, I'm fairly sure a friend of mine from high school was born with this condition (I can't recall for sure), and he was totally fine. Well, reasonably fine, as far as teenage boys go. I mean, most of us were asses back then. But he was in fine health!

Crossing my fingers it closes up on its own.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options

Yeah I'm not so worried about the condition.  I know plenty of people with a heart murmur who live a completely full life and can do whatever they want.  Plus it could just go away and not be an issue.

I hate this feeling of not being able to help though.  I'm sure this won't be the last time I feel that way as a parent.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you got that news. Thinking good thoughts for your little babe.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry to hear it, but at least it is something that isn't sounding serious... in the grand scheme it isn't that bad.  It is a helpless feeling though, and not a pleasant one.  Hope it takes care of its self when he's in there and by the time he's born it isn't even an issue.
  • Options

I know that any negative news is bad news for parents, so my heart goes out to you guys.  It sounds managable, so that is at least a silver lining there. Not that it minimizes the initial concerns that you guys must have had.

Good Luck and my family will keep you guys in our prayers.

• Options
    Fingers crossed for you and your little one. Hopefully all will be fine and your baby will grow to be a healthy young boy, kid and teen. Keep those spirits high and wish u all the best
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"