Toddlers: 24 Months+

3 year old forgetting things? Please help!

Hey y'all. I don't usually post in here, but I am at a loss right now.  My 3 year old is a very smart girl.  She's been advanced in almost everything since the beginning.  This summer, I was looking at milestones and she was on track with a 5 year-old (except in fine motors), and this was before she turned 3.

Enter new baby sister!  I had my 2nd child in September.  Now, my 3 year old can't even count to 5! I'm so frustrated!  Has this happened with anyone else?  Is this her way of getting my attention?  What should I do?  She wants to play games, like Chutes and Ladders, but she won't count right. I'm now refusing to play it with her until she can show me that she can count to 10. FWIW, she's been counting to 20 since before she was 2! 

Please help! TIA

Re: 3 year old forgetting things? Please help!

• She's not forgetting, they revert to younger behaviors when a new sibling arrives. This is actually quite common. I'm sure your pediatrician will tell you the same thing. The best advice I can offer is to be patient and continue to show your 3 year old love, she will turn it around. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yea from what I've heard it's normal for them to regress when a new sibling comes into the picture

I'd drop the pressure, and just work numbers into games or books you are reading, she'll get back to it eventually - sounds like she's just doing this because she wants more attention from you because it's hard to share the spotlight with a sibling - just keep it positive :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"