Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Sleep help!!

Please!!!

Ok so About a month ago DD became a horrible sleeper. The first 4 hours are great. After that its up every hour or so. I end up just putting her in bed with me because I'm too exhausted to rock back to sleep for 20 min then pray she doesn't wake up when I put her down and the process has to start over again.
Up until 2 weeks ago I was swaddling her. Past 2 weeks we've been using the sleep suit. Swaddled, sleep suit and now last night I tried cold turkey and her sleep is the same. Just horrible!
I didn't do any form of sleep training with DD1 until 8 or 9 months and I was kind of hoping to do the same with DD2, but I don't think we will make it that long.
I guess my question is after how many nights of no swaddling or suit would you think it's ok to try a form of sleep training? I don't want to be mean, because I know she's going to need some time to figure out how to sleep without anything, but with how horrible she sleeps I'm just not sure of how I will know when is the right time.
I hope I'm explaining myself well enough to get some answers.

Also, the reason I'm quitting the suit so soon is because she's obviously a horrible sleeper with or without it so I really don't see the point in continuing it. If you have experience otherwise please let me know.

Thanks!!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Sleep help!!

• Options

When my son was five months old we ended up doing full extinction CIO. We had tried no cry methods as well as gradual (ferber) and neither worked. Out of desperation we tried the full extinction cold turkey for naps and bedtime and there was an immediate improvement. We've had regressions since then, mostly because I get lazy and become inconsistent. A couple weeks ago I decided that I needed to be much more consistent at night and he is progressing very well. He goes down easily and although he wakes through the night and fusses or whines it generally doesn't last more than a few minutes before he falls back asleep. Last night he slept nine hours straight! He woke up at 5 fell back asleep on his own within 10 minutes and slept until 5:50, he then whined for about a half hour before falling asleep until 7:40. This is definitely not for everyone, but it is working for us. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagedanslilgrizzly:
    When my son was five months old we ended up doing full extinction CIO. We had tried no cry methods as well as gradual ferber and neither worked. Out of desperation we tried the full extinction cold turkey for naps and bedtime and there was an immediate improvement. We've had regressions since then, mostly because I get lazy and become inconsistent. A couple weeks ago I decided that I needed to be much more consistent at night and he is progressing very well. He goes down easily and although he wakes through the night and fusses or whines it generally doesn't last more than a few minutes before he falls back asleep. Last night he slept nine hours straight! He woke up at 5 fell back asleep on his own within 10 minutes and slept until 5:50, he then whined for about a half hour before falling asleep until 7:40. This is definitely not for everyone, but it is working for us.nbsp;nbsp;

Thanks for your response. I know how we'll sleep training works. I did it with my 1st DD. my post wasn't really to be encouraged to sleep train, it was more about asking when I should after breaking a swaddle habit and sleep suit. Like I said she's already a horrible sleeper so I'm not sure when I should start. Like how many nights after not sleep suit or swaddle.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ohhh, sorry I misunderstood. Yes, I would probably give it a week without the swaddle/suit and then start the training. Have you considered a transitional object like a lovey or small receiving blanket? I felt bad about leaving LO with nothing when we started sleep training so I put him down with a small folded receiving blanket under him and eventually moved to a small lovey. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"