Babies: 6 - 9 Months

If your baby has had tubes put in, please come in

Hi Ladies - my son is scheduled for tubes surgery on Friday. I am dreading it (him having to be put under), but also so excited for him to feel better. We've gone through hell and back in the past couple of months with his ears and illness.

How was your LO after the surgery and how long before you felt like they were "back to normal"?

Have you seen improvements in their ear infections/illnesses/anything else?

DS can't eat 12 hours before surgery, but still eats usually once overnight (his surgery is early in the morning).  I am nervous about this...how did it go for you?

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: If your baby has had tubes put in, please come in

• Hello! My son had tube surgery when he was exactly five months. He had it done because he failed his hearing test as an infant due to a tremendous amount of fluid in his ears. He never had one single ear infection but the ENT was concerned about his language development since his hearing loss was pretty severe. 

i was a nervous wreck the day of the surgery. but by the time they took my baby away from me and I was directed to the waiting room, the surgery was already finished... maybe ten minutes tops!

he did have a ROUGH time coming off the anesthesia... it was really heart breaking to watch him go through it. but the very next day, he was back to his old self... and hearing sounds he NEVER did before. it was a pretty amazing experience for us.

as in eating... we were told he could not eat six hours before... i remember waking him up for a dream feed that night... 12 hours seems REALLY long. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD hasn't...but my DS has had two sets of tubes, the first at 10 months.  Coming off the anesthesia was the worse part, he cried basically the whole way home.  After that, he slept for 4 hours and then was absolutely FINE when he woke up.  No issues at all.  

DS has had alot of "ear drama" and the tubes were 100% awesome in helping us through all of that.  He had a second set done ~ 2 years.  He's almost 4 and so far, no more tubes although we still see the ENT every few months.  There's still a chance he'll get another set due to fluid not draining well and I'm ok with that if it helps him.  (Having more than one set isn't the norm...my ENT tells me 90% of kids get them once and that's all they need). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The baby hasn't had them, but her brother 21 months had them last Thursday. As PP said coming out of the anesthesia was the worst. He cried the whole way home but then ate breakfast and was totally fine the rest of the day.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• DS had them put in at 6 months.  He did great.  Surgery only took about 10-15 minutes.  He was fussy and gassy for about 30 minutes after and they said that was normal because of the anesthesia.  Fed him and he took a nap shortly after and was fine the rest of the day.

We went from 1-2 ear infections a month to none since.  He wasn't able to eat after midnight before his surgery, so I fed him right before the cut off and he was fine.  Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"