Toddlers: 24 Months+

Dentist

Have you already or do you plan on taking your toddler to the dentist? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Dentist

• I took DD to dentist for the first time at around age 2, and she has been there twice since then. She's now 3.5.  The first 2 times weren't too bad but the last time was brutal.  I am now thinking I'll take her just once a year instead of 2x a year.  I don't see any point in taking her every 6 months.  She doesn't do well with dr/dentist visits.  Some kids take it all in stride but my kid doesn't! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, he's been going every 6 months since he turned 1, per the AAPD rec.

ETA: He never likes it (though it's getting better), but I don't really care and see it as necessary/preventative.  

• Loading the player...
  • We went at 18 months and he's going again next week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, DD has been going since 18 months and DS just started going at 12 months.  The reason I waited longer for DD was because I was not aware of the new ADA recommendations (that kids start seeing a dentist at 12 months) until our insurance company sent us an pamphlet about it.  I think the advantage of taking them at a young age largely depends on the dentist.  We had a great pediatric dentist before we moved (she had a great rapport with the kids, introduced them to all the tools, cleaned the kids' teeth, etc.).  Our current dentist only counted the kids' teeth and then told us to return in 6 months (I am not sure I will be returning to that office).   
  • I started taking DD at 14 months, the AAP recommends starting at 12 months or when the first tooth erupts.  She goes every 6 months, and has had a few other quick trips in there to get some staining/build-up that she gets scrapped off.

Visits at their age are quick. They generally don't do xrays at this age, unless theres a problem, xrays usually start around 6 or when the back molars are touching.

Not where in Chicago you are, but if you are in the suburbs I have some recommendations for pediatric dentists, if you want/need any.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DD started around 15 mo. They did some very light scraping and applied a flouride treatment. She just had her first real cleaning at 3 1/2. They said they could do xrays, but they would prefer to wait and let her first experience be a good one since the xray machine scares some kids. We also see a pedi dentist. The whole office is designed with kids in mind and the staff is fantastic! I would definiely look for a pedi dentist if they are available in your area.
    imageimage
  • DD didn't even have teeth at the 12 month AAP rec. 

I started bringing her with me to my appointments when she was around 18 months. My dentist has kind of looked into her mouth and asked about dental care at home, but that's it. 

We don't have pedi dentists around here.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageTMDMJAOCT07:

I started taking DD at 14 months, the AAP recommends starting at 12 months or when the first tooth erupts.  She goes every 6 months, and has had a few other quick trips in there to get some staining/build-up that she gets scrapped off.

Visits at their age are quick. They generally don't do xrays at this age, unless theres a problem, xrays usually start around 6 or when the back molars are touching.

Not where in Chicago you are, but if you are in the suburbs I have some recommendations for pediatric dentists, if you want/need any.

And I have a rec in the city if you need one there! Hah. 

• Yikes! I'm way behind on this! I asked my dentist awhile ago when I should take DS and they told me at 3yo. DS is about to turn 3 and I was planning to take him over Christmas but we are moving to Orlando at the end of this month so I put it off until we move so we didn't have to switch dentists.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Both of our pedi's (we've had two different ones since we've moved) recommended age 3. DS goes for the first time next week!
  • We just took dd for the first time at 2.5 cause one of her front teeth has gone grey after a fall. She did SO much better than I expected, they just looked in her mouth with a little mirror and took a picture of her tooth then gave her goody bag of stuff and said to come back when she turns 3!
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    imageTMDMJAOCT07:

I started taking DD at 14 months, the AAP recommends starting at 12 months or when the first tooth erupts.  She goes every 6 months, and has had a few other quick trips in there to get some staining/build-up that she gets scrapped off.

I'm in the Schaumburg/Hoffman area.  If you're anywhere near there I'd love any recommendations you have! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • image12bailey18:
    Both of our pedi's (we've had two different ones since we've moved) recommended age 3. DS goes for the first time next week!

We were also told by our pedi to not bother until DD turned 3.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD went when she was 12 months, 2yrs 10 mths, and her and DS are both going this Wednesday. DS is 13 months, this will be his first time.

At 12 months they just looked in her mouth and talked about brushing. At her second appointment they took x-rays and cleaned her teeth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When DS1 was 16 months, he fell and hit his mouth, so we took him to the dentist then. There was nothing wrong, and they said he didn't need regular visits until 3, so that's when we started taking him. They did Xrays, and a cleaning and floride treatment then. We don't plan on taking DS2 until 3 as well.
  • imageboggs507:
    imageMrsWindyCity:
    imageTMDMJAOCT07:

I'm in the Schaumburg/Hoffman area.  If you're anywhere near there I'd love any recommendations you have! 

You bet'cha! I'm just a few minutes south of there, but my recommendation for a dentist is up that way. I'll send you the info in a PM.

• Pedis saying not to take kids to the dentist before 3 drives me kind of nutty because the AAP also recommends dental visits at one, so you'd think a member of the AAP would not go against that.
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    Pedis saying not to take kids to the dentist before 3 drives me kind of nutty because the AAP also recommends dental visits at one, so you'd think a member of the AAP would not go against that.
    Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way!
  • imageTMDMJAOCT07:
    imageMrsWindyCity:
    Pedis saying not to take kids to the dentist before 3 drives me kind of nutty because the AAP also recommends dental visits at one, so you'd think a member of the AAP would not go against that.

It's weird, though, because we did take DS1 to a pediatric dentist at 1, and he said he didn't need to be seen until 3. If the dentist tells me that, then I'm going to believe him, nwim?
  • imageTMDMJAOCT07:
    imageMrsWindyCity:

I agree. I have seen so many kids with capped teeth by the time they're 3 that I can't imagine you wouldn't want your kid to be checked out. And just because a kiddo doesn't like to go to the dentist doesn't mean you shouldn't take them. My Dd hates going to the pedi but I still take her. I would rather she have good experiences at the dentist for a while than have her first experience be bad because she injuried her teeth or we waited too long.

She started going at 18 months and has been 3 times. This last time she did really well and she let them look in her mouth and apply the fluoride treatment. We will not be attempting a cleaning for a couple of more visits.  She gets a toothbrush and toothpaste and floss  each time and gets a coin to get a little toy. And she remembers where she got that so I like that she has positive experiences. 

I wonder if general dentists recommend 3 because they don't really want to deal with younger kids? No idea but I can see how they might not be really comfortable with it if they don't do a lot of that.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both our pediatrician and dentist said 3 do we took her last week. They took Xrays of the front teeth, did a cleaning, and the dentist came and checked her out. She did fine she wasn't happy but she didn't scream or cry and she was very compliant. She has had multiple surgeries so they only thing that kinda got her was went the dentist put on his mask she looked at me and said, "No surgery!" but that of course would not happen to most kids. All in all it was a great trip and I am happy about how she did.

A great pediatric dentist is a huge plus!!!
  • my mother in law is a dental assistant and her boss, a dentist, told me not to take me daughter in until she was 3. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"