Food Allergy
Options

new to MSPI

Hi there. I'm pretty new to this MSPI stuff. So I wanted to share my story thus far and get your opinion/advice!

After only noticing some brown specks in DS's diaper (no other symptoms), I had his diaper tested, which was positive for blood. The pedi rec only going dairy free. She said some babies that have a milk intolerance also have a soy intolerance, but that most don't. So I've been dairy free for 4 wks now, including hidden ingredients.

The first couple of weeks, DS seemed the same. Taking 2-3 poops per day, as usual for him. Poops were yellowish/orangish with seedy texture, as usual...but were becoming a bit more watery. Did not notice any more brown flecks. Had never noticed mucus up to that point.

Something has gone wrong these last two weeks. He suddenly went from pooping 2-3 times per day to once every 4 to 6 days. I know BF babies start to poop less frequently, but that abruptly? His poops went from seedy and yellowish to brown and watery with no consistency and/or with some mucus mixed in. He began passing much more gas and it is very smelly. Within the last week, he has started waking up at night being very wiggly, whiny, and gassy for hours. Wednesday, DS was fussy pretty much the entire day, straightening himself out as stiff as a board, and today he had a bowel movement that was nothing but brown mucus. So I took him in to the pedi and diaper tested positive for blood. Pedi rec completely soy free in addition to dairy, which I will do. Also, I set up an appointment with a ped GI for Tuesday.

I thought things would have, at least, gotten some better (but not worse) with cutting out dairy. Hopefully cutting out soy will help. I asked about eggs and nuts, which I read could be common allergens, but the pedi said no. I have been eating 1-2 eggs per day or egg salad, as well as almond milk and peanut butter sandwiches. But, again, pedi said that couldn't be it. Is that true in your experience?

It's worth mentioning that I was on an antibiotic (dicloxacillin) during the time that things started getting worse (however, they started getting worse right before I was on the meds). I finished the antibiotics on Monday, but pedi said this was not likely to be the cause of brown, watery poops / infrequent poops / smelly gas.

Sorry this is so long...thanks for reading it all! I'm just a worried momma. Hoping someone has some advice or words on encouragement. Things do get better, right? You don't have to give up BF'ing, right?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: new to MSPI

• Options
    I've been on the diet since August and am still breast feeding, and I know there are others around who have gone on much longer so you definitely don't have to stop. It can take up to 8 weeks for the dairy and soy to clear both yours and his system so don't get discouraged just yet. You may want to think about anything you added to your diet after cutting dairy to see if it's possible him "getting worse" was actually a different reaction, but if there's nothing I'd see if he clears up after the 8 weeks. The diet is tough at first, but once you get used to it it's not that bad. On the plus side, a lot of people end up losing their pregnancy weight pretty easily since they end up eating healthier. I'm 10 lbs under my prepregnancy weight right now. Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks for the reply! DS had a GI appointment today. They tested his poop today and it was negative for blood this time...after only being soy free for a week. So hopefully it was the soy causing him issues and that things resolved quickly since eliminating that from my diet!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"