January 2013 Moms
Options

Marguerite Sophia is here!

Marguerite Sophia is here!

I finally got home from the hospital today.  What a relief to not have people monitoring all of my various body parts.  Here is her birth story.

Went in at 2:30am on the 30th for my induction, I was 41 weeks.  I felt a bit conflicted, wondering if I should have waited a few more days to see if I went into labor on my own.  However, I went ahead with the induction after a nice steak dinner and a much deserved glass of wine.  They started me on a low dose of Pit and my GBS antibiotics.  

I honestly didn't feel much.  The Pit gave me some cramping but that was it.  My OB came at 9:00am and checked me, I was 5CM.  She broke my water (such a weird feeling!)  and advised me that things would probably go quickly and to ask for the epidural as soon as I wanted it.  (Which I knew that I did.)  About 15 minutes later things escalated quickly!  I was proud of my ability to breath and moan through the contractions while I waited for the Epi.  Sadly my back must be a freak back because it took a long time to get the Epi placed right and I kept feeling odd twinges down my right leg so they were trying to make sure it didn't end up one sided. 

When it finally took I was in heaven!  I labored down for a about an hour and I was an 8.5, in another hour I was ready to push.  I somehow thought I wouldn't push long...how wrong I was.  I pushed for three hours with my husband and a really friendly medical student holding my legs.  I think about one hour in my doctor knew she wasn't going to fit.  She had mentioned several times that she thought this might be a big baby during my pregnancy.  Little did we know.  I give her credit, she told me that I could continue to push as long as I had the energy and wanted to.  I even tried squatting with a bar, nothing.  So I kept going until finally we all realized it wasn't going to work.  I couldn't even get her down enough for an assisted birth with forceps.  I made the decision to go ahead with the C Section.

At that point I called my best friend who is a doctor back and just started bawling.  I was a little disappointed but mostly just scared.  I'm glad I got to make the decision and it was controlled and not an emergency situation.  The OR room is certainly more intimidating than the posh delivery rooms.  I got the shakes really bad and basically just laid there terrified.  I didn't even realize they had started the operation and then suddenly I heard a nurse say "Oh my god look at that baby's cheeks!" Then I heard her cry.  Although I was strapped to the table my husband was there to welcome our little baby into the world and has been a wonderful dad so far. 

Here is a picture of our little munchkin.  (I hope this works)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Marguerite Sophia is here!

• Options

Whoa!  Holy large picture. Here is a little bit better sized one.

• Options

imageamnat84:
    Congrats! She is beautiful! How big was she??

Lord I can't even believe I left that part out.  Sleep deprivation!

So it was clear she was big because the doctors all started guessing weight in a joking way.  Turns out she was 9 lbs 2 oz.  Not the biggest baby ever, not a ginormous one, but big.  Too big for my anatomy.  Which made me feel a little better about having to get the section.  She is 20 inches long, which the nurses tell me is long too.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    congrats! it sounds like our birth stories are pretty damn similar, lady. hope your recovery is going well. i just started to feel a little bit better today and Owen is a week old! its tough going through a c section after an induction and marathon push session! PM me if you need anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"