Special Needs

Weighted blanket

Does anyone have any experience with using a weighted blanket? DD has sleep issues and another sn mom recommended using one for her because it helps her son. Please tell me if you use one and your experience with it. TIA!
I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 1Samuel 1:27 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Team Peeta Tag Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: Weighted blanket

• I just made on for my DS after his OT asked me to get him one. EI didn't cover the cost but I was able to make it for about $23 including the poly beads for weight. I used coupons at Jo Ann fabrics. 

My DS has SPD so we mostly use it when my DS needs deep pressure to calm down or when he is trying to concentrate and also to help his eating. We don't use it for sleep yet. 

There are a lot of tutorials online to make them because otherwise they are really expensive. You really need an OT to tell you how much to weight it though. The general rule of thumb is 10% of their body weight plus a pound.  

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just used a heavier quilt in king size and folded it over to it was 2 layers.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I ordered one for my son who has SPD and sleep issues.  I was recommended not to make it on my own, but honestly don't know why.  My OT said 10% of body weight plus one pound.  So for my son who weighed 37 pounds I used 3.7 pounds plus a pound so it rounded to 5 pounds of weights. Hope that makes sense.  I personally don't see any difference in his sleeping, but I know a lot of people have, so I guess it depends on the child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"