1st Trimester

I've had 2 small anxiety attacks...

So I'm 7 weeks along today. In the past couple of weeks I've had 2 anxiety attacks. They were very short lived as I was able to stay as calm as possible, sit through them, didn't fight it, just let it happen. I've had a lot of practice with this - I was on birth control for 11 years and didn't know it was the cause for my anxiety. So I know my anxiety is hormone related. I was off the birth control for 2 years and never had one attack in that time. So I do know it's hormonal now. However, when is it an issue? Most of the time I'm absolutely fine. I don't feel nervous, I don't feel overly stressed. I just feel like my (pregnant) self. Both attacks lasted only between 5-8 minutes each, and there was no adrenaline shakes to accompany it (anyone who's ever had a full blown attack will know what I mean). I was a little foggy afterwards but that's normal for me. I have my first prenatal appointment on Monday and I'm going to bring it up with my Dr but I was wondering if there were any other ladies who experienced minor attacks throughout their pregnancies? And what was your experience? I'm doing everything I can to stay away from medication.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: I've had 2 small anxiety attacks...

• I have a stress relief pillow that calms my heart beat. I am prone to panic attacks and had a full blown one... complete with adrenaline shakes... I would totally ask your doctor. but I find the beating heart pillow to really really help
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • imageKimbus22:
    I've always had anxiety attacks. I had them pregnant too. I didn't use my meds. I just breathed through them and made a concentrated effort to sit still and relax my body, one part at a time.  I'd start at the toes and work my way up.  Does that make any sense at all?

OMG My high school psych teacher told us how to do that  

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I can pretty much manage the attacks myself - I've gotten REALLY good at it lol. They honestly don't last long, they don't scare me like they used to, but my concern is for the baby. I'm just wondering how often is bad and how often is ok and acceptable. I'm sure my Dr. will give me these answers but I don't want her to freak out and think medication is the appropriate response to this. I know some of the medications they use are ok for the baby but I don't like taking the chance (especially if they turn around 10 years from now and say woops, those were actually bad!).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not sure I have an helpful advice for you... But can relate to your worry and questions. I started having them a few months ago (pre-BFP) and was put on an anti-anxiety med. As soon as I found out I was PG, I weaned off the med (which was an awful process) but it got better and I've been fine. Until last night. I didn't sleep one wink due to basically an all-night panic attack. Not incredibly severe, but enough to stop me from being able to relax and fall asleep. I'm worried about the effects of the anxiety on the baby! At my 7wk appt, I asked my doc, and she said to see how I did once I was fully weaned off. She said if I wasn't fine, there are safe meds she can prescribe. But like you, I don't want a med! Mine are occassional (I hope) so I can definitely live with them personally. But don't want them to do harm to the baby. Not sure which is the lesser of two evils for our little peanuts... Medication or the effects of anxiety??

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"