March 2012 Moms
Options

From the March 13 board

Hi ladies,
My family has a trip to Disney World this September for a week. My LO will be about 6 months then. I still want to go, but my family is concerned about me taking a LO that young. I plan to BF and baby wear. The plane trip will have one stop and total travel time about 6 hours. From your experience so far do you think I'm crazy for this? Will it be too much for her? Any tips for that age and a trip like that? Thanks ladies!
Pregnancy Ticker
BabyName Ticker

Re: From the March 13 board

• Options

My only hesitation would be the 6 hr travel time.  My flight home is 4 hours and one flight was terrible.  I was so stressed out by her screaming that I broke out in a rash the next day!  The stop will definitely help.  

We have a pair of 3M Peltor Jr shooting range headphones that dd wears on flights. (you can find them on amazon)  It helps insulate her from the loud noises on the plane.  They say they are for kids, but they fit dd's head just fine.  We also use them at sports events or other loud venues we want to take dd with us.  I also liked my ERGO Performance on the flight.  I pulled the hood over dd and it made a nice dark place for her to sleep.

I think you should just set realistic expectations.  It will be difficult to stay on lo's schedule for naps and such in a strange environment, and I'm guessing a different time zone.  It will likely not be a good idea to be on the go for all week.  Make sure to plan quiet time/down time for both of you to recharge. 

I like babywearing, but even with the ERGO I couldn't wear dd all day at an amusement park. (She was pretty wiggly & curious at 6 mos, so I don't think she would have tolerated it all day either).  You may want to consider taking a cheapo umbrella stroller or renting one at the park. 

Also, you are not recommended to use sunscreen until 6 mos, so you might want to think about picking up a rashguard or something with sleeves that will provide some sun protection that doesn't require using lotion.

That is all that immediately hit me..  Good luck! 

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

I would do it. Then again, my parents live 10 minutes from Disney and we took DS when he was 6 weeks old. It was thanksgiving so we were down there anyway. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsJetSet:

My only hesitation would be the 6 hr travel time.  My flight home is 4 hours and one flight was terrible.  I was so stressed out by her screaming that I broke out in a rash the next day!  The stop will definitely help.  

We have a pair of 3M Peltor Jr shooting range headphones that dd wears on flights. (you can find them on amazon)  It helps insulate her from the loud noises on the plane.  They say they are for kids, but they fit dd's head just fine.  We also use them at sports events or other loud venues we want to take dd with us.  I also liked my ERGO Performance on the flight.  I pulled the hood over dd and it made a nice dark place for her to sleep.

I think you should just set realistic expectations.  It will be difficult to stay on lo's schedule for naps and such in a strange environment, and I'm guessing a different time zone.  It will likely not be a good idea to be on the go for all week.  Make sure to plan quiet time/down time for both of you to recharge. 

I like babywearing, but even with the ERGO I couldn't wear dd all day at an amusement park. (She was pretty wiggly & curious at 6 mos, so I don't think she would have tolerated it all day either).  You may want to consider taking a cheapo umbrella stroller or renting one at the park. 

Also, you are not recommended to use sunscreen until 6 mos, so you might want to think about picking up a rashguard or something with sleeves that will provide some sun protection that doesn't require using lotion.

That is all that immediately hit me..  Good luck! 

I agree with this. I think you will definitely be able to manage the trip with 6 month old. We took DS to Tahoe when is was 6.5months, and that was 4.5hour flight for us. 

Try to pack as light as you can...I recommend buying the essentials once you land...diapers, baby food (unless you puree your own), snacks, formula.  You are allowed to bring formula or breastmilk through security with you. Just check with your airport ahead, see if there was a limit. I was told I can bring enough for my travel. My entire travel day, with car rides and plane and getting to airport early was 8hours, so I brought two bottles and baby food and yogurt, snacks. 

Definitely something for them to drink while taking of and landing for their ears. DS did great, and fell asleep both times. I got lucky and he slept for half of the flight.  The other half I kept him occupied with books, toys, baby movies on my laptop, iPad. Over all he did pretty well. 

The carrier is essential, but you still want to bring a travel stroller. Most airlines let you check stroller at the gate before you board for free. 

Baby's schedule is going to out of whack for sure so just prepare for that. Time change, new place, and at 6 months babies are very aware of their surroundings and curious.

Are you staying with family? or hotel. Our hotel was able to provide us with a pack and play, so I didn't have to bring that..even though DS slept in my bed all the nights ..DH wasn't there so I didn't want to sleep alone =)

but I think you will be just fine. I stressed myself out so much before the flight and it really wasn't as bad as i prepared myself to be. Only bring the essential items you need...if you can go to a walmart or a target when land..then buy everything else once you get there. and DS really loved looking out the window on plane it was the cutest thing! =) Have Fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options

I think it is totally doable.  I flew to Germany with DS1 when he was 6mos and it was the easiest flight we've ever taken with him.  Much easier than when we moved back to the US when he was 15mos old.  Baby will probably sleep during the flight but if not, remember to stay calm.  Babies can feel your tension and that makes them tense up.  Feed baby, offer paci to help with ear pressure, have some new (quiet) toys to pull out when needed.  Extra clothes for both of you and plenty of diapers.  We've never had our kids wear noise canceling headphones on flights and they've been fine.  DS1 would have worn them but DS2 would have fussed and fought to get them off.  

We are heading to Disney in a few weeks but DS2 will be almost 1.  We have traveled quite a bit with our kids from the time they were tiny babies and never had a problem.  The Ergo is a lifesaver!!!! 

• Options
    I think you'll be fine. You have got some really great advice on here so far! The only thing I want to add is don't forget about the heat and sun. When we took DD in August on a trip the heat was horrible. If anything the heat messed up her schedule.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We took our 6 month old to St. Thomas for 7 nights and it was a great time! The plane ride was great- she slept the whole trip. We spent alot of the time under the umbrella by the pool but we put her in the water with us alot and she loved it!

I wouldn't hesitate. We said we were going to continue living life as we did and take our baby with us where we went. Its worked out fine!

• Options
    I travelled across the country when DD1 was 6 months and it was no problem.  Travel time was much longer than 6 hrs in all.  Baby doesn't generally care where they are, as long as they are with you.  I travelled with DD2 (with 4yo DD1 in tow!) when she was 4 months and that was no problem either.  She slept, I nursed and she slept some more.  Planes are like the ultimate white noise machine.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Also, I wouldn't baby wear at Disney.  Way easier to push a stroller for that amount of walking
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't fly with DD but was on the road for 3-5 hr trips every weekend from the time she was 3mo old to about 7mo. She did fine. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options
    I think this is a classic case of "every baby is different". I would not have done that with my 6 month old and I would dread it still at almost 11 months old. DS would be a nightmare on a plane still at this age, but he has never been easy.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"