Multiples
Options

Helmets tomorrow :(

I feel like this came SO quickly. The boys will be getting their helmets on tomorrow morning and for some reason I am finding myself so emotional and apprehensive over it. I know its not a big deal and nothing is changing, but for some reason I cant get over the "little" things: not being able to kiss their sweet little heads whenever I want, not seeing their hair growing, not caressing their heads before they go to sleep, and lastly, all the stares and questions. I just am feeling like my moments of them as babies are ticking away so very quickly and their last months are going to be in helmets. Its for their own good and I know it will be ok, I think I just surprised myself with how sad I am feeling over it....Thanks for letting me come here to vent :).

Fraternal twin boys born at 33 weeks 4 days Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Helmets tomorrow :(

• Options
    I know how you feel .... my boys were measured for their helmets today!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In a few weeks you'll wonder why you were so upset about it!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awww sister, I'm sorry. I feel sad for you but I'm sure that it won't be long before you hardly notice them. Like you said it is for their own good and I'm proud of you for doing it for their sake even though it's hard. Vent away. I think it's normal to feel sad about it, especially given the things you stated you would miss, but I hope you feel better about it soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I know how you feel, mine got their's this past Tuesday.It is just like you said.Hard not being able to just kiss their heads and we still have not taken them out.I am worried about the stares.

Did they tell yo how long they will need them?We were told 10-12 weeks.I am hoping 10.Did you get your insurance to cover the cost.

Maybe we can check in with ecah other other and see how our babies are doing. 

• Options
    A year from now, you'll be like, oh yeah they were in helmets weren't they, when you see a post like this.  :)  At least that's how I feel cause my DS was in a helmet for a few months when he was younger and its just a tiny bump on the road.  When you look at their nice round heads you'll be so glad you did it.  They'll be out of them before you know it.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

((HUGS)) We went through helmets on both this time last year.  It was kind of tough the first few days but we adjusted way faster than I ever thought and since they had a huge growth spurt they were done in only 6 weeks.  We were able to leave them off for an hour a day for baths and to clean them. When I took their monthly pictures I did them with the helmets off so I have memories of them without the helmets too. 

As far as the stranger stares/comments - after a while you just don't care and if someone asks I take the time to educate them.  Having twins already prepares you for extra attention anyway!  The funniest comment I received was from an older lady who was curious about them and asked if it was because they were conjoined at birth and separated!

• Options
    imagedgancz:

I know how you feel, mine got their's this past Tuesday.It is just like you said.Hard not being able to just kiss their heads and we still have not taken them out.I am worried about the stares.

Did they tell yo how long they will need them?We were told 10-12 weeks.I am hoping 10.Did you get your insurance to cover the cost.

Maybe we can check in with ecah other other and see how our babies are doing. 

they told us 4-6 months, which I think sounds aggressive but I'm hoping they just gave us a worst case scenario. We are moving 1200 miles in April so fingers and toes that they're off by then this way I don't have to worry about new drs, traveling with them on, family asking questions etc. I would love to keep in touch to see how our lo's are all doing. I will message you to check in :)

Mrs Alice- that's so funny bc I was talking to my friend about it and she said she bets someone will ask about being conjoined. I had never even thought of that until she said it.  I have already planned to do the same thing with the monthly photos bc I just don't want to have to explain to all of our distant family and friends. The questions get exhausting. They told us an hour total, so if its 15 mins for baths I figure I have 45 mins for other things. 

Thanks so much for the support ladies. We leave in a little bit and I'm going in positive and in good spirits (at least trying hard :)). You're all the best! 

• Options
    imageMissa_g:
    In a few weeks you'll wonder why you were so upset about it!
    So true! I went through a tough time emotionally when we found out they would both be getting them. I cried and thought it would be this awful thing. Once they were on it was no big deal. Mine had theirs on for just under 3 months and got them off in mid December, and I feel like it was forever ago already.
    my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I wanted to add that as much as the actual helmets weren't a big deal, I did have some issues with our insurance. Our Dr. told us almost all insurance plans cover this treatment...ours did not. Fortunately we had met our deductible with their birth, so they were then covered, but if not, we would have paid ~$5,000 out of pocket for the helmets and the adjustments. Just something for everyone to be aware of.
    my blog

• Options
    Can someone explain what the helmets are for, for this naive mama-to-be?  Thanks
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageBreezy8407:
    I wanted to add that as much as the actual helmets weren't a big deal, I did have some issues with our insurance. Our Dr. told us almost all insurance plans cover this treatment...ours did not. Fortunately we had met our deductible with their birth, so they were then covered, but if not, we would have paid ~$5,000 out of pocket for the helmets and the adjustments. Just something for everyone to be aware of.

we haven't met our deductible since its the new year, so although insurance is paying, we are coming close to $4000 for the 2 of them. The way I looked at it though is that if we didn't meet the deductible with this, it would have been for lo's surgery next month (that will be another freak out- stay tuned lol). But you're absolutely right, everyone should check their coverage. It isn't always covered.

Pp, helmets are to correct plagiocephaly, better know as a flat spot.  

Update: they did wonderfully and look just delicious in them. It's of course harder on me, getting over not being able to snuggle them will be the hardest part but they're doing phenomenal and I'm so proud. Thanks again for all the support!! 

• Options
    imagemamatotwins0812:

imageBreezy8407:

we haven't met our deductible since its the new year, so although insurance is paying, we are coming close to $4000 for the 2 of them. The way I looked at it though is that if we didn't meet the deductible with this, it would have been for lo's surgery next month (that will be another freak out- stay tuned lol). But you're absolutely right, everyone should check their coverage. It isn't always covered.

Pp, helmets are to correct plagiocephaly, better know as a flat spot.  

Update: they did wonderfully and look just delicious in them. It's of course harder on me, getting over not being able to snuggle them will be the hardest part but they're doing phenomenal and I'm so proud. Thanks again for all the support!! 

Glad it went well! You will get used to the snuggle part. Holding them while putting them to sleep was a challenge because the helmet would make my arm fall asleep :) Good luck with the future surgery.
    my blog

• Options

I was sad the day we got it but seeing how it didn't even faze him made it so much easier. Also I will say that getting it in winter probably helped, I do feel badly for the sweaty summer helmet babies! The only thing that ended up really bugging me was all the appts.

Once I decorated it (I did 3 different designs over 4 months, 2 different helmets and used bling your band, not sure if she is still around, it has been 3 years), I actually fell in love with the helmet...he looked so damn cute in it in my opinion, we have both of them (on the fake head mold things) in his room & I want to do something with them one day, I just don't know what :). Whenever I see pictures of him in it it brings a smile to my face...

As for ppl staring, honestly I never had more than curious looks, esp b/c it was always decorated in some cute way, and once in awhile I'd have ppl ask what it was for if we were standing in line somewhere & they were always very interested & polite. I think ppl see so many of them around now that they realize that it is not some totally off the wall thing, so they're just curious. And to this day if I see a LO out with them I always make sure to make a quick comment about how adorable it is or they look or whatever, and that DS wore one and we were really happy about it.

GL! It will be way better than you anticipate. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"