September 2013 Moms
Options

What would you do? Telling mom...

I really wanted to wait until I was further along before I told my mom because she has a tendency to spill the beans when she's excited.  She'd spill to her three sisters who would "keep the secret" and tell all their kids.  My mom has done this on numerous occasions. And it has happened with all other "secret pregnancies" of my cousins.  The mom (one of my aunts) always ends up telling her sisters who tell their kids. Then everyone knows.

With that said, I know my mom knows, she just needs to hear me say it.  I've been avoiding talking to her on the phone because I know she'll bring it up as soon as I get to talk to her.  Now she's emailing me asking to call her.  I said, "sorry, I just don't have the time. But we'll talk soon!"  She just emailed me back with this:

"No problemo!  hmmm.  Makes me wonder what you're up to, since you're now just recently only working part-time, what's taking up so much of your 'leisure time'? ;-)

You'll have to tell me when you've got a minute to chat.... hmmm?
Looking fwd to it!
love,
Mom
xox"

Anyone have a good lie?  Or should I just tell her?  I just really don't want my entire family to know!!  My first appointment is in less than a week.    What would you do?

Re: What would you do? Telling mom...

• Options
    Try like hell to avoid her til the appointment and once you know everything is a-ok, then you can email her the photo or call her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Tell her your sick with the flu !!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thing is, I'm not getting an ultrasound for my first appointment.  I don't even know if they're doing a blood test (I don't really know what my first appointment with my midwife is for).
  • Options

imagetylersmama85:
    Tell her your sick with the flu !!!

I thought of this, but I just WAS stick with the flu over Christmas.  And I just got my flu shot and she knows that.  It's possible, but I think she won't buy it.  Or worse, she'll say, "OMG are you sure you're sick?  I bet you're pregnant!"

Maybe I should tell her I'm on my period and I'm exhausted.

• Options
    I recommend  you tell her you and hubby are spending more time together now that you are only working part time.  And that you are catching up on everything you couldn't do when still working full time.  Ignore her "hint, hints" completely as if you didn't notice.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • Options
    I told my mom I got my period about the time I got my BFP so she hasn't bugged me.  But I've turned down a glass of wine the past 3 weeks I've been over there... so I don't know if she's putting it together.  2 more weeks until u/s and we tell!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Okay, so I have "that" mom. Woman is so well intentioned but she cannot keep a secret to save her life. It's like a disease. 

I decided to tell her for one main reason and that was because I knew it would devastate her if she found out second hand. That, and she's my mom. I had to give her a stern talking to about how important it was that she not tell anyone and really expressed how much it would hurt me if she took it upon herself to share my news without others. That's my job, not hers.

As crazy as this may sound, I also put her on a sort of "telling" calendar. We talk almost daily and that gives her a chance to tell me how hard it's been to keep the secret and then when she's made it a week I let her pick (with my guidance) someone she can tell. It's never family members. But first it was her best friend, then a dear woman from her church or something.

It's sort of turned into a game which has kept her happy and kept me from having to deal with her. I also tell her anytime I've told someone new so that she can call them.

Mothers...  

I have a blog that has nothing to do with babies. http://www.halftruthofawholelife.com
  • Options
    imagelinabeau:

Okay, so I have "that" mom. Woman is so well intentioned but she cannot keep a secret to save her life. It's like a disease. 

I decided to tell her for one main reason and that was because I knew it would devastate her if she found out second hand. That, and she's my mom. I had to give her a stern talking to about how important it was that she not tell anyone and really expressed how much it would hurt me if she took it upon herself to share my news without others. That's my job, not hers.

As crazy as this may sound, I also put her on a sort of "telling" calendar. We talk almost daily and that gives her a chance to tell me how hard it's been to keep the secret and then when she's made it a week I let her pick (with my guidance) someone she can tell. It's never family members. But first it was her best friend, then a dear woman from her church or something.

It's sort of turned into a game which has kept her happy and kept me from having to deal with her. I also tell her anytime I've told someone new so that she can call them.

Mothers...  

Wow.  I think that might actually work with my mom.  Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"