1st Trimester
Options

9wks & UTI

I had my first appt yesterday and the office called today to say I had a uti.  Anyone else have this happen?  I'm kind of freaked about having to take an antibiotic.  I've had a uti before and know what the symptoms are but I've had zero symptoms (guess I should be thankful for that).  

They prescribed me sulfamethoxazole-tmp.  Any experiences?

Re: 9wks & UTI

• Options
    I have no experiences with a UTI or with that medication but I just wanted to say that I started amoxicilling today for an ear infection. I'm nervous to take something so early, even though it's considered safe. But this pain and pressure is unbearable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options

i get chronic uti's and when i was pregnant the first time i was never given anything but macrobid, which is the safest. i was on sulfameth once daily for prevention for a really long time, but i have never been prescribed it to treat an infection. 

a lady on my bmb suggested taking garlic for natural remedy. i googled it, and apparently it really works. next time i get a uti i am going to try it.

i have gotten uti's almost every other month for the last 7 years.

drink a ton of water, and also i get a super cranberry supplement and it REALLY helps. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on the same antiobiotics right now for a UTI I'm almost 7 weeks. I did A LOT of googling on the antibiotics after my doctor prescribed them even though he said they were safe in early pregnancy, there's definitely a lot of mixed reviews out there but here on the bump I found a post where a lot of women said they had used that antibiotic while pregnant with no issues. I was definitely nervous about it but I only have 2 days left and my UTI has cleared up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

They will give you a baby safe... I had to take heavy amoxicilion (sp?) at 4 wks, and I just had my first ultrasound and the baby's are fine. 

Make sure to drink lots of cranberry juice in the future (a glass a day) because it naturally cleans your urinary track 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have not had a UTI but I heard they are pretty common to get during pregnancy. If the doctor knows you are pregnant and perscribed the antibiotic, I am sure it is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    imageJoy2611:

Take the antibiotic.  You have bacteria growing where it shouldn't be.  Antibiotics will kill those bacteria.

Do not try home remedies.  You are risking a kidney infection by ignoring your doctor's suggestions.  Kidney infections are no joke (I've had one) and can quickly lead to sepsis (bacteria in your blood), which is a life threatening problem.

Sorry - but home remedies for UTIs really grate on me because the danger of a simple UTI turning quickly into a serious problem is great.  Take the antibiotics and be on your way.

i disagree about the home remedies. cant knock it til you try it. i have had many uti's and many kidney infections... i have tried many different things. some work, some dont. depends on your body, the type of bacteria, etc. 

• Options

Same thing happened to me after my first appointment a couple of weeks ago. Told I had a UTI and prescribed Macrobid. I had/have zero symptoms and chose not to take the antibiotic. Instead, I increased my water intake, drank more cranberry juice and took extra vitamin c for about a week. I'm a nurse and I don't take being diagnosed with things lightly. But, being asymptomatic I made a choice that I felt was right.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"