Health & Exercise

Torn ACL and 10 weeks pregnant

Hello,
I am almost 11 weeks pregnant, and I tore my ACL in an accident this past weekend. I am in unbearable pain, and cannot walk. The ER doctor put me in a splint and said that because I am pregnant there is nothing they can do until after baby comes due date is August 25th. They told me to take Tylenol, which doesn't even take the edge off this horrible pain. I'm very concerned that the pain and injury will worsen as my belly gets bigger. I am also a professional ballet dancer and I am terrified that I won't be able to dance again if I don't get surgery in a timely manner, before scar tissue builds and this heals incorrectly.
Has anyone had any experience with a torn ACL during pregnancy? Is surgery an option if they don't put me under? I'm just trying to find out more information about all of this.... The doctors basically didn't give me any info and told me to rest which is hard to do with four other little ones running around at home! and that was that... Just trying to see what options I have or recovery. Thank you!

Re: Torn ACL and 10 weeks pregnant

• Hi!

I would seek an opinion from an orthopedic surgeon pronto, especially if you are in so much pain. There may be alternate options available for anesthesia, such as local blocks or something.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemobo04:

Hi!

I would seek an opinion from an orthopedic surgeon pronto, especially if you are in so much pain. There may be alternate options available for anesthesia, such as local blocks or something.

Good luck!

Ditto this. If they can give a spinal for a c-section I would imagine it's a possibility for other surgeries, too. After all, pregnant women do need surgery sometimes.

• Loading the player...
  • I never tore my acl but know of many athletes that have. The pain is usually bad for a week or two and then starts to decrease. I have a friend that didn't gat surgery for a year. Just be sure you wear a brace because it will be painful when it shifts a way that it shouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"