Breastfeeding
Options

biting

Even though DD doesn't have teeth yet, she has gotten in the habbit of clamping down toward the end of a nursing session. Then while clamping down she pulls off. Needless to say it hurts like mad!! Since she is 5.5 months old, I'm sure teeth are around the corner so I would like to get this habit corrected ASAP. I've tried pushing her face into my boob so she has to breathe through her mouth and unclamp, but she has learned to just turn her head so that trick doesn't work. I've also tried getting my pinky in her mouth to unlatch right before she does it, but that rarely works. I have even screamed in pain, on accident, and she just smiles with my nipple clamped between her gums. Any other tactics you all have tried that have been successful?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: biting

• Options

The thing that helped me the most was to figure out why DS was biting.  DS typically bit when he was done nursing.  Once I figured when he was biting, I could anticipate it and unlatch him.  I also tried to feel where his tongue was.  When a baby is actively nursing its impossible for them to bite.  When he wasn't actively nursing I would be ready to unlatch him.  It took a few days of doing this before he stopped biting.

It sounds like this has probably become a "game" to you LO.  Unlatch LO, use your index finger if your pinky isn't working (I have more control with my index then my pinky).  Once LO is unlatched put her up right and say "no biting, that hurts mommy".  After a minute or two you can try to nurse again.

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"