3rd Trimester
Options

WTF is wrong with me?!

Although I've always experienced this to a degree, it's been progressively getting worse the further along I get in my pregnancy.  I'm having anxiety any time DH goes anywhere out of the ordinary!  If he's driving across the city to meet someone and I'm not going with him, I worry that something awful is going to happen on the roads while he's on his own.  It's so ridiculous because he's actually a very competent driver with defensive driving practice, however, I live in an area of the country where the driving abilities of others are pretty dangerous (or non existent).

Today, he's got a 7-hr drive to get to where he's going as he's participating in a sanctioned event this weekend that has him driving very quickly on closed (and icy) roads.  So, do you think I was able to hold it together last night while we hung out on the couch together, or this morning when he left?  No!  I was a snivelling mess! 

I am so completely morbid, that I think there's always a significant risk he's going to end up injuring or killing himself either en route or at these events he attends ... which gets me so terribly upset because I then picture our LO growing up without a father!  He's such an amazing guy and I just can't bear the thought of him not being in our lives, especially as he's so excited about this baby.

Since we've never had anything really terrible happen to us, I just keep thinking we'll run out of luck soon enough and then be in for our quota of tragedy, so to speak.  Would someone please talk some sense into me?!  I hate how irrational this fear is (and I know it is).  Blarg.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: WTF is wrong with me?!

• Options
    I dealt with a lot of similar anxiety when I was pregnant with DD, too. It's really calmed down a lot since she's been born and as she's gotten older. There are still some things I'm just downright ridiculous about... but it's nothing like it was the last time I was pregnant. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the reassurances, ladies. I don't like that these pregnancy hormones are having such an effect on my emotions, but it's a relief to know that others have experienced the same.

After posting this, I put on last week's SNL for some comic relief, and just about died laughing when the SNL Digital Short came on  "Never travel by car, by bus, or by rail.. Don't travel by plane,.. Don't travel at all!  Stay away from kids because their hair's filled with mad lice.. There's no such thing as too much Purell!".  I MUST find and download this song.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish I could help but I am the EXACT SAME WAY. 
    Jen
    Mom to Ava 12.21.04 and Austin 10.22.06
    BFP 12/5/11...natural m/c 12/23/11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I think it's the "momma bear" coming out in us. I've got it. 

I have a friend that also has it...carries on into baby days too. For example, she once told me that she couldn't stop the thoughts- she'd be having a normal day, waiting to turn left at a busy intersection and then having a vision of another car hitting her car...

It does get better...just takes a little while. Hang in there. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

I'm glad I am not the only one with these thoughts.  I am a very nervous person and I think these things even when I'm not pregnant.  Like you, I feel like we've been so lucky.  Luckily, my husband is the complete opposite of me and is always able to calm me down! 

The thoughts have gotten worse now that we are going to start a family.  You just have to get it through your head that worrying won't help anything.  It's easier said than done though!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"