January 2013 Moms
Options

My mom and MIL have gone a little wacko

I'm wondering if it's typical for grandmas to be a little nuttier than usual regarding first grandkids?

Granted, I'm a hormonal mess, but my mom and MIL have gone off the deep end.  My mother in particular is a fairly sane woman IRL.  But right now I'm finding her sort of difficult.  It's not that she is being mean or unhelpful.  More that she is so over-emotional and over-excited about the baby that she is just not herself.  She's kind of in manic-grandma mode, running around and fussing and being hyper.  It's driving both me and DH crazy (she's staying with us).  I feel like she's always lurking outside our bedroom door waiting for opportunities to take the baby and be crazy grandma.  MIL is kind of losing it, too.  

I probably sound like an ingrate, because I'm lucky she is here to help.  Just need to vent a little! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My mom and MIL have gone a little wacko

• Options
    I understand the sentiment. I don't have that situation but I sure felt overwhelmed by people at first. Especially when I was still in the hospital. Mainly because I hadn't expected many visitors then all of a sudden everyone wanted to visit. Ok, mainly DH's family and I didn't mind his mom but hospital gowns and FIL and BIL... ummm... no. Had hubby bring me proper PJ's then FIL and BIL ended up not coming lol!
  • Options
    My MIL hasn't said a single thing to me, not even on facebook about her first grandkid. Hasn't even liked a photo. It's kind of weird.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My parents are acting weird too. It's their 1st grandchild. We went to the mall yesterday and my mom asked if I was too nervous to let my dad sit outside the store with her while we shopped. She also said she didn't want to hold her and walk around cause she's afraid of tripping. She's geekin' out. Although I do have to watch my dad because my LOs pacifier fell on the floor and I put it aside to clean later and I turn around and my dad put it in her mouth ewwww. Then I was the one geekin' out...
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• Options

This is really common. Most of my friends who had their MILs or moms come stay with them or visit for an extended period of time right after the baby was born have said they had issues with this too.

That's why DH and I are giving ourselves a month or two to acclimate before asking the grandparents out. That said, it's hard doing everything ourselves...so there's pros and cons to everything.

Sorry they are driving you crazy! If you feel comfortable try setting some boundaries (especially w/your own mom) if you can be honest and not hurt her feelings. I'm sure she's just trying to be helpful, but lurking outside your bedroom door would push me over the edge Smile

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options
    My mom 1st grandchild is going a little crazy. She's not here yet but texts, calls and emails all the time. She'd love a 24/7 live feed of our living room to watch the baby.

My MIL 5th grandchild came to visit twice but has otherwise been leaving us alone.

I think it's just a crazy first time grandma thing. This is why DH and I wanted at least one week at home alone without any overnight visitors.

• Options
    My MIL went OFF the deep end when DD1 was about 5 months old. I was so stressed about the situation, and DH was convinced that I was only upset because it was his mother...

I thought we might end up divorced over the situation..
  • Options
    imagethis decaf life:
    My MIL hasn't said a single thing to me, not even on facebook about her first grandkid. Hasn't even liked a photo. It's kind of weird.

:
    BFP#1 - 8/30/2010, natural M/C 10/3/2010 BFP#2 - 5/13/2012 (Mother's Day!) grow baby grow! Baby boy born 1-11-13!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker http://www.thebump.com/profiles/Jo2013/settings/avatar/index#
  • Options

imagePrivacyWanted:
    It's normal. And sadly I'm finding it often happens the second go round too. I haven't even, left the hospital yet and I'm ready to kill my mom. Thank God she just lives in Folsom so she's not staying with us!

Congrats, Privacy - hope all went well! 

• Options
    I would say this is true . The first time my mil saw me change my baby's onesie, he cried and turned beat red. She started histerically saying He's not breathing! Over and over until I snapped at her and said, He's fine! Then she came over to him and started rubbing his head like I just tried to kill him. I was about up punch her!
  • Options
    imageDMG122183:
    I would say this is true . The first time my mil saw me change my baby's onesie, he cried and turned beat red. She started histerically saying He's not breathing! Over and over until I snapped at her and said, He's fine! Then she came over to him and started rubbing his head like I just tried to kill him. I was about up punch her!

No words.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"