February 2013 Moms
Options

Seventh Generation sposies score AW

I have to brag to you ladies, since nobody IRL cares! ;)

I just bought a pack of 40 Seventh Generation sposies in stage 1 for $6.98!  *dance*  Hooray for in-store coupons! 

I plan on primarily CDing, but I am having trouble affording the up-front costs. So, I'm pretty excited about the bargain!  

ETA: autocorrect thought I bought "spouses."  Ha!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Seventh Generation sposies score AW

• Options
    That's awesome!!  Big Smile We are also cloth diapering and will prob supplement with sposies in the beginning for just a couple weeks.  I have my regular stash, then some newborn CDs but was hesitant to order a ton of stuff till baby gets here and I see how big he is!  I'll have to start watching for coupons!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That is awesome :) Also, have you checked out Alvas? I personally love them and they're 5 bucks a pop for the covers. I get them through a co-op for even less than that (if you want the info on the co-op you can pm me and I can get you added) The covers are actually a pocket diaper but I use them with a prefold as a cover and they work aweome and hold up great.  DD is 15 months and her Alvas still look brand new.  I know that a lot of moms are very particular about their cloth diapers and will spend $30 on one, but we CD for the cost factor and these diapers truely work just as well as the more expensive ones I've been gifted.  They fit great, never have we had a blowout in one, and like I said they hold up great :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesecondaryPULSE:

imagemrsdugger:
    That is awesome :) Also, have you checked out Alvas? I personally love them and they're 5 bucks a pop for the covers. I get them through a co-op for even less than that (if you want the info on the co-op you can pm me and I can get you added) The covers are actually a pocket diaper but I use them with a prefold as a cover and they work aweome and hold up great.  DD is 15 months and her Alvas still look brand new.  I know that a lot of moms are very particular about their cloth diapers and will spend $30 on one, but we CD for the cost factor and these diapers truely work just as well as the more expensive ones I've been gifted.  They fit great, never have we had a blowout in one, and like I said they hold up great :)

I urge caution with the cheapy chinese diapers. If you plan to use bleach ever, or ever need to use it (in the case of yeast or stripping), it seems that the elastic has a very short life after that. I've been tossing my Alvas lately, some of which are only about 6 months old because the elastic is shot.

Honestly, our favorite diapers are GMD prefolds and covers (specifically thirsties duo wraps for under 12-15 lbs, and Flips for 12-15+ lbs). They cost very little (as in under $400 from birth to potty training using all organic diapers), and easily hold up to multiple children, bleaching, stripping, and super hard water. I've tried all types of diapers, and the prefolds have been hands down my favorite diapers over time. To make it a little easier, we bought our diapers as we needed them (a size at a time).

Anyways, I'll stop my prosteletyzing  now. I just wish I had realized that prefolds were so awesome before I had invested in several other "higher tech" options that ended up being more of a PITA than anything.

I did just order some Alvas, and I already have some prefolds (osocozy and 100% cotton Gerber), so I'll see what works. Oddly, I am more familiar with prefolds than I am with any other kind of CD, and recall changing a few dipes at a pretty young age doing the whole fold-and-pin routine. I hope to be able to find some "better" covers for cheap, but I have to take it super slowly, because my budget is so tight, it's stupid. lol  

Also, I have no idea how a co-op works... Expect a PM, MrsDugger!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagesecondaryPULSE:

FWIW, the Gerber prefolds are not meant for diapering. They are totally useless to be used as a diaper. 

Do you know how to sew? If so, you can make a few upcycled wool covers out of old wool sweaters (that you have laying around or from goodwill) for next to nothing. 

Yeah, that's what the CD board said about Gerber prefolds. I got them super, super cheap at Ross, so I won't be too let down if/when I find out everyone was right lol

I would be really interested in sewing some covers (and even prefolds, maybe). I am a sewing novice, but I DO have a machine and extra time on my hands after losing my job :X  Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start... It can't be THAT hard though, right? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagesecondaryPULSE:

It's not! Here's a tutorial for longies (I'd start here, because they're the easiest):

https://the-giggling-green-bean.com/blog/?p=501

https://scrimplythrifty.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/diy-wool-diaper-soakers/

If you google around, you may find better patterns/instructions out there.

A pair of longies takes about 15-30 minutes to make. They're super easy!  

Ok, you just about made my day. I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Thank you!!!  

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"