3rd Trimester
Options

biitchy registration nurse....grrr...

I may just be on edge today for whatever reason, but I was on campus this afternoon for class, and my hospital is right there. I've only been to that hospital once, and I was deliriously sick. FI took me to the ER department, where he has been before as a Paramedic. We both were not quite sure where L&D was, and since I needed to pre-register and ask a few questions, we decided to just go and get all of that done. The induction is scheduled for Tuesday the 5th. 

I spoke with the registration nurse to pre-register and what I should expect for Tuesday. She side eyed me and acted like I was asking why the sky is blue. I mean, shiit lady, I've never had a pre-scheduled induction. Throw me a bone.

I also didn't know that you could pre-register via telephone as my OB never told me that. Again, this is my first time. So when I asked if there was any way that I could get confirmation that I was there for pre-registration to give to my professor due to missing my afternoon class, she just stared at me then said, "Uh, no? Most people just call. I don't even know why you came in."

Okie doke then.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: biitchy registration nurse....grrr...

• Options
    It does seem like a bad reason to miss class and expect a note to excuse you.  You can pre-register online at most hospitals, or do it when you don't have class? 
  • Options

imagetmsgrl:
    It does seem like a bad reason to miss class and expect a note to excuse you.  You can pre-register online at most hospitals, or do it when you don't have class? 

I didn't know any of that. My OB office told me that I could just mail in the form or go in. Obviously it's a little late to mail it in, and, again, I had other questions. Again, I've never had a pre-scheduled induction. I'm not worried about the "excuse" as much as she was just really snotty that I had no idea about the entire process.

She was snotty before I asked for any kind of confirmation that I was there. My professor is understanding so she wouldn't have even needed the excuse, but I always tend to want to back up where I said I was if it wasn't class.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That bites!  I hate biitchy people.  I was able to pre-register online for Jeffrey but when I went to do it this time my hospital no longer lets you pre-register you HAVE to come in.  So I called the registration dept and they said "We don't pre-register anymore" ummm BS.  Finally I find out that the hospital has some dept that you meet with to get your hospital tour and pre-register.  I called that dept and said "i've had a kid here, I don't need the tour can I just register"  Bam e-mailed me the registration, emailed it back, done.  It's a job requirement for the registration people to ALWAYS be rude and in a foul mood.   Sorry you had such a rough time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow! Some people. It would've taken everything in me to NOT curse her butt out. People act like everyone who is pregnant has 20 kids at home already OR already know everything there is to know. HELLO! There are some first timers out there like us. I'm sorry! I've jumped on my soapbox. That irks me too though. :)
  • Options

imageonlymeggan:
    That bites!  I hate biitchy people.  I was able to pre-register online for Jeffrey but when I went to do it this time my hospital no longer lets you pre-register you HAVE to come in.  So I called the registration dept and they said "We don't pre-register anymore" ummm BS.  Finally I find out that the hospital has some dept that you meet with to get your hospital tour and pre-register.  I called that dept and said "i've had a kid here, I don't need the tour can I just register"  Bam e-mailed me the registration, emailed it back, done.  It's a job requirement for the registration people to ALWAYS be rude and in a foul mood.   Sorry you had such a rough time.

They probably have to deal with really ignorant people 98% of the time, so, I'll cut the lady some slack and chalk up my annoyance to hormones. Glad you were able to pre-register though!

I'm confused about why I even did it in the first place. My OB made it sound like it was going to save so much time and energy for the induction/if I had to go in for spontaneous labor. OB office told me to ask the hospital for specific directions about the morning of the induction, which I did when I was there, and she's all, "Well, you'll have to come back here and register." Sooo.... WTF was the point in pre-registering?  

• Options
    I am surprised they do not offer a little L&D tour. We have one scheduled with the hospital and they pre-register us then. I am also a wee bit surprised they let you register on the phone seeing as how I was asked to bring photo i.d. and a copy of my insurance card. Good Luck with that. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageBrilliantBrunetteJenny:
    I am also a wee bit surprised they let you register on the phone seeing as how I was asked to bring photo i.d. and a copy of my insurance card. Good Luck with that. 

That's another thing I asked when I was registering. I have my insurance card and my driver's license on me, so I asked if she needed that. She said, "They'll get it when you come in on Tuesday." Okaaaay... but isn't that the point of registering? That they have all of my insurance/info ready to go? I have to be there at 5 am on Tuesday, and I was hoping to get everything squared away so that we could get the ball rolling.

They do offer a tour and we had one scheduled a couple of weeks ago, but FI and I were both really sick so we didn't want to bring those germs in L&D. 

• Options
    imagedande2129:

imageBrilliantBrunetteJenny:
    I am also a wee bit surprised they let you register on the phone seeing as how I was asked to bring photo i.d. and a copy of my insurance card. Good Luck with that. 

That's another thing I asked when I was registering. I have my insurance card and my driver's license on me, so I asked if she needed that. She said, "They'll get it when you come in on Tuesday." Okaaaay... but isn't that the point of registering? That they have all of my insurance/info ready to go? I have to be there at 5 am on Tuesday, and I was hoping to get everything squared away so that we could get the ball rolling.

They do offer a tour and we had one scheduled a couple of weeks ago, but FI and I were both really sick so we didn't want to bring those germs in L&D. 

Sounds weird.... my hospital does pre-registering and the whole point of it is they get EVERYTHING (Card copies, etc.) in advance so when you come in when you're in labor they just wheel you in directly to your room. Maybe they are giving you the runaround because you are scheduled and they figure it won't be urgent? Still seems weird, because they also pre-authorize your insurance so they know exactly what you will owe and what is covered beforehand.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Our hospital offers online pre registration. They get all of your info including insurance at that time. Then they also tell you that you must have both your driver's license and insurance card when they admit you. I believe that it's to cover their butts and yours. May also have something to do with the HIPAA laws. In our state,Missouri, they can't even call you into see the dr using your first and last name. They call your first name and then ask you what your birth date is. They may even ask for your ID. 
  • Options

I worked in hospital registration when I first got out of college - long.  We had people pre-register for all sort of things - from surgeries to L&D, etc.  It never saved people time because they had to come and see me either way.  It was hospital policy to verify all information every time you saw someone (no matter that you just saw them yesterday).  I guess if your registration clerk is a really slow typist, it may be easier if she is just verifying the information vs. inputting it for the first time, but honestly, the pre-registering was a waste of time at that hospital.

Fast forward to my first pregnancy at a different hospital: I never preregistered or sat down with a registration clerk at my first admission (24 weeks) or my final "hospital bedrest until delivery" (31 weeks).  The clerk called me on the phone in my hospital room and got my information.  I have no intention of pre-registering for this baby.

*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • Options
    imageaprilsarahjune:

I worked in hospital registration when I first got out of college - long.  We had people pre-register for all sort of things - from surgeries to L&D, etc.  It never saved people time because they had to come and see me either way.  It was hospital policy to verify all information every time you saw someone (no matter that you just saw them yesterday).  I guess if your registration clerk is a really slow typist, it may be easier if she is just verifying the information vs. inputting it for the first time, but honestly, the pre-registering was a waste of time at that hospital.

Fast forward to my first pregnancy at a different hospital: I never preregistered or sat down with a registration clerk at my first admission (24 weeks) or my final "hospital bedrest until delivery" (31 weeks).  The clerk called me on the phone in my hospital room and got my information.  I have no intention of pre-registering for this baby.

This is all very good information, thank you! I wish I would have known that beforehand. The OB office made it sound like pre-registering was a must.

• Options

imagetmsgrl:

Oh wow. Maybe she doesn't have a car and that was the only time she could get a ride up there. Plus she said the place is right by her school anyway. Mayeb they'd be closed after her class. We don't know! & she already said she didn't know she could pre-register w/o going to the hospital. FTM, hello! She just didn't know.

Furthermore, if I come to the hospital for ANY reason, I can ASK for a note. & if you can't give me one, at least be nice about it. HELLO! Customer Service.

They don't even have to give me an excuse, per se'. Can I just a receipt of some sort to acknowledge I was actually there? Dang, can we get some "hand-claps" for moms who even still take classes while wayyyy preggo? I'm 34 weeks and miserable. Can barely get through a day's work, let alone sit in a class, concentrate, write endless papers, squeeze into those tiny desks, etc....... So whatever. Insensitive as heck! Ugh!

imagetmsgrl:
  • Options
    imagetraneshaph:

imagetmsgrl:

Oh wow. Maybe she doesn't have a car and that was the only time she could get a ride up there. Plus she said the place is right by her school anyway. Mayeb they'd be closed after her class. We don't know! & she already said she didn't know she could pre-register w/o going to the hospital. FTM, hello! She just didn't know.

Furthermore, if I come to the hospital for ANY reason, I can ASK for a note. & if you can't give me one, at least be nice about it. HELLO! Customer Service.

They don't even have to give me an excuse, per se'. Can I just a receipt of some sort to acknowledge I was actually there? Dang, can we get some "hand-claps" for moms who even still take classes while wayyyy preggo? I'm 34 weeks and miserable. Can barely get through a day's work, let alone sit in a class, concentrate, write endless papers, squeeze into those tiny desks, etc....... So whatever. Insensitive as heck! Ugh!

Not really, I like to think of myself as a grown-up living in a grown-up world.  I am not going to give you a "hand clap" for being pregnant and going to school.  Being pregnant does not stop the world for anybody....especially strangers.  You will be learning all of this really soon I think Big Smile

• Options
    imagetmsgrl:
    imagetraneshaph:

imagetmsgrl:

Not really, I like to think of myself as a grown-up living in a grown-up world.  I am not going to give you a "hand clap" for being pregnant and going to school.  Being pregnant does not stop the world for anybody....especially strangers.  You will be learning all of this really soon I think Big Smile

Geesh ..  give her a break .... There are plenty of women who cant cope with life and pregnancy at the same time  .. Good for OP for having some drive.  So she didnt know she could register over the phone .. Crucify her !!  good grief ...     Im a nurse and while I realize that many nurses/ heath care workers are desensitized there really isnt a reason to be rude .... I have given out so many notes for people for school or work, not 1 time did it cause me any pain or distress ...  

5 years IF & 2 losses

~~ DS Born 2/28/2013 ~~
                8lb 13 oz 22 inches 
    Happily expecting another miracle !
     EDD 11/20

• Options
    imagetmsgrl:
    imagetraneshaph:

imagetmsgrl:

Pregnancy is different for every woman. Kind of seems like you want a "hand clap" for thinking of yourself as a "grown up" in a "grown up" world.  

Confused

OP sorry you had to deal with the rudeness. I know it can be hard to figure everything out and try to juggle being pregnant and preparing mentally to be a mom! As a ftm I am always asking a million questions and not being sure what to do!

• Options

It really surprises me the professions people decide to choose even though they clearly hate them. My *** nurse was the woman directing me through my pushing, while she was taking a personal phone call! Complaining that she had to come in last minute to work, and that I had had a epidural. I mean stupid right? She's complaining right in front of a woman right to push out a NB.

That's weird that you can register on the phone or online, for my hospital at least, I had to (for both deliveries) go in to register.

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"