Infertility
Options

Just diagnosed with Lean PCOS and trying to conceive..

Hi there,

I posted this question on the TTC board, but think I most likely should have posted here! :)

I was recently diagnosed with Lean PCOS and am trying to understand my treatment options. Right now, my OB/GYN is starting me on Metformin. I am waiting for my next appointment to discuss treatment further, but I am assuming I will also need clomid to help me ovulate( I am not currently doing so).

Has anyone out there had a similar diagnosis and how are you working through it? I feel really confused and it only gets worse when I try to find out information on the condition. Most of the articles I have read pertain to people for have significant weight gain with the condition. I have not experienced this, so I am just confused and a little scared about the whole diagnosis. 

Any help would be very appreciated! 

Katie

Re: Just diagnosed with Lean PCOS and trying to conceive..

• Options
    I was originally diagnosed with PCOS (which turned out to be incorrect) but when I thought I had it, I found the soul cysters forums to be very helpful. There are different kinds of PCOS including Lean PCOS (where you don't gain weight.) Good luck, getting a diagnosis that might mean you have trouble getting pregnant is tough but the good news is that many many women with PCOS go on to have pregnancies. :)

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Options
    Thank you for the forum suggestion! I will check it out. Thank you for being encouraging! :
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am diagnosed with PCOS, but I am NOT lean! :-X

If it's any consolation to you, I ovulated after 6 weeks on Metformin - I can't remember any time in my life when that happened.  Adding the Clomid made my ovulation more predictable; however, a girlfriend of mine with PCOS conceived her child on Metformin alone.  OPKs could be your saving grace right around now!

I'm also working with a PCOS nutritionist who is AMAZING, and am taking some herbal supplements she recommended (including NAC - that has WONDERFUL studies for women with PCOS).  If you want her info let me know.

GOOD LUCK! 

TTC#1
    Dx PCOS @ 16y.o
    9/2011: unplanned natural conception and MC @ 6weeks Cycle 1: 12/2012: TI & 2000MG Metformin & 100MG Clomid = CP
    Functional Cyst - fixed with 2wks BCP
    Cycle 2: 1/31/13: IUI #1
    Meds:2000MG Metformin, 100MG Clomid, HSG/Trigger, Provera 400mg 2DPIUI
    Stats: SA 20mil & 63% mot/follicles (as per 1/30 u/s): 22, 13, 14
    BFP! Beta #1 13DPiui: 79! Beta #2 15DPiui: 164! Beta#3 19DPIUI: 773! First US scheduled 3/5! EDD Oct 23!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    S/PAIF Welcome - You girls give me HOPE!
    Herbal Supplements: 1800mg NAC, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Baby Asprin, Folguard, Multivitamin
  • Options

Siggy Warning

I have also been diagnosed with pcos.  I have the weight gain and the facial hair (hot stuff right?)  But the doctor did not seem too concerned with the pcos.  He put me on metformin before the ivf.  It seems like years ago doctors would tell you that you could not get pregnant with pcos but now it is just a little bump in the road.  There is even a facebook page called pcos divas.  There is alot od support out there.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    NYCGirl276 what type of nutrition plan have you been following? The OB/GYN said that south beach was a PCOS friendly way of eating. I am going to try that, but would love to hear other ideas too. I also am developing high cholesterol, it is something that runs in my family. So, I am thinking anything nutrition wise I can do would probably help too.

Do you still take metformin? Or are you sticking to supplements suggested by your nutritionist?

Also, what is a siggy?

Have a good day!
  • Options
    JadWedd isn't the facial hair annoying! How are you dealing with yours? I have been waxing, but then I breakout. I guess if its not one thing, it's another!

Do you work with an RE?
  • Options
    I would love any suggestions for nutritionists or nutrition tips from anyone with POS I a have been diagnosed recently and gained 30 pounds out of nowhere about two years ago that I cannot take off for the life of me : !! I find that the lowcarb thing definitely does help I just need to stick with that a little more
    Me-31- DH- 41 -Moved to New York* TTC since August 2011, unexplained IF & PCOS HSG - both tubes clear Saline Ultrasound- clear SA- Normal January 2013- Started metformin 1500mg attempting micro IVF 2/8/2013 2/8/2013 Cycle- ganirelix, menopur, gonal F 3/3/2013- ER- 7 Eggs 3/4/2013- All 7 fertilize 3/8- ET
    TTC Again since 8/16/2014- 3rd Clomid Cycle with IUI  starts 8/18
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"