July 2013 Moms

What do you think?

So, I've decided to take up swimming, since I've never been particularly good at it and I imagine I might feel better about my ever-changing body when I'm weightless Big Smile

So the barrage of input comes in when I make this publicly known and apparently there is a widespread IMO myth that swimming during your pregnancy will cause stretch marks.

Sounds silly to me but I'm wondering has anyone else heard of this? Any truth that you know to it?

Just wondering.

imageimage

Re: What do you think?

• imageAiylin:

So, I've decided to take up swimming, since I've never been particularly good at it and I imagine I might feel better about my ever-changing body when I'm weightless Big Smile

So the barrage of input comes in when I make this publicly known and apparently there is a widespread IMO myth that swimming during your pregnancy will cause stretch marks.

Sounds silly to me but I'm wondering has anyone else heard of this? Any truth that you know to it?

Just wondering.

Odds are if you're going to get stretch marks there's like zero you can do about stopping them.  I didn't swim and did cocoa butter EVERY DAMN DAY with DD and still got stretch marks.

I have honestly never heard of this, and can't imagine it causing them.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Never heard it. Swimming is supposed to  be extremely good for you during pregnancy.

And Carrie is right: stretch marks are genetic. You get them or you don't, but there's nothing you can do. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That's along the lines that I figured, but I just wanted to double check and make sure that I wasn't the one living in a big bubble.

imageimage

• No idea if it's true or not, but it probably dries out your skin some....I think many believe if your skin is moisturized enough you won't get stretchmarks.   I have no idea if that's factual or not, but it sounds like stretchmarks might be more of a genetic thing. 
    Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• I swam 2x a week with my last pregnancy and did not get stretch marks.

I've never heard this myth before but stretch marks are genetic.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have never heard of this.  Stretch marks are genetic.  

I got them with DD and didn't go swimming pretty much ever.  DD is in swim lessons, so we swim 2x/wk this time around.  It already feels wonderful to be in the water. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You've got a lot of good answers here, and I agree!  Stretch marks are genetic, and there's not much you can do to prevent or cause them.  And in case you aren't convinced, I swam 2-3 days a week during my last pregnancy (I gave birth in early Oct., so it was a great way to cool off and exercise during my 2nd and 3rd trimesters) and I never got any stretch marks.  So go for it!  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Swimming won't cause. Stretch marks but it will dry out ur skin so take moisturizer with u and put it on when u get out of the water
  • Thanks ladies! I'm excited to get moving againg, taking advantage of this burst of engergy I've had!

imageimage

• My doctor actually said swimming can help reduce swelling, so I'll be living in the pool once it opens!
  • I was pregnant during the summer of 2011, one of the hottest summers on record. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time in the pool and I don't have a single stretch mark. Go swim!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"