August 2012 Moms
Options

Getting "permission"

Our pedi said to wait until 6 months to introduce solids. She said unless I notice she is eating more frequently then I can give her rice cereal. I told her I wanted to skip that and start her on veggies first. She looked at me like I had 10 heads, but didn't really say no. I was fine waiting, but she is showing all the signs lately of being ready for food. Someone said the other day to watch your baby not the calendar. I just feel like she is ready. My question is would you call and ask if we can start, or just follow your mom instinct? I understand calling and asking about medications and what not, but do I need permission to start foods?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting "permission"

• Options
    You absolutely do not need permission to start your LO on solid foods.  You are the mom.  You know your baby best.  If she seems ready - go ahead and start!  She may not seem like she likes it the first couple times, but she is just getting used to the texture and taste.  Keep at it - she will get the hang of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    I would go ahead and try it. Your LO will let you know if they are not ready. 6 months is just a guideline.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, you don't need to ask permission.  DS's pediatrician said we should try to hold off for as close to 6 months as possible but gave us all of the hand-outs for starting DS on solids at DS's 4-month appointment.  We ended up trying solids soon afterward because DS kept watching and opening his mouth while we ate.  We gave him some oatmeal to see if his tongue thrust reflex was gone.  It was and he loved the oatmeal.  Other than peas, he's loved everything he has tried.
  • Options

she who delivered decides. 

that is all.

• Options
    imagehooslisa:
    she who delivered decides.nbsp;
    that is all.

I agree!
  • Options

Yup this shizz is going down. That was the final push I needed, thanks ladies!!

As if my mom buying me a baby bullet and avocados weren't enough of a push already!

• Options
    You do not need permission from your pedi to start solids anytime after 4 months.  And skip the cereal IMO.  Start with simple mashed foods like avocados, bananas, prunes, pears, sweet potatoes, etc.  If your LO is acting ready, then give it a whirl.  Worst case scenario, she's not quite ready and you just hold off another week or two.  GL!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    imageashS10309:
    imagehooslisa:
    she who delivered decides.nbsp;
    that is all.

I agree!

Yep!
  • Options

if LO is acting ready, give it a try.  if LO isn't ready they'll just spit it back out. then try again in a week or so.

always interesting to see the difference in Pedi's.  our's is younger and gave the ok at 4 months to start solids as long as she was sitting up in her high chair ok.  she also said we could skip ceral if we wanted to, but we have used it 2x a day during month 4 to help with the spitup issues.  i stopped it a few days ago because she's having a hard time with the teething, and i started veggies at 5 months (last week) so she's getting it that way instead.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Options
    Definitely follow your mommy instinct! I think all babies are different and you need to go by baby, not by the book.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagehooslisa:

she who delivered decides. 

that is all.

Agree! 

• Options
    Our pedi said anywhere between 46 months. He's young too. He said the rice cereals are good to give because they have added iron. Especially for a bf baby
    "When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." Sir James Barrie in Peter Pan

DS: 11/1/2010    DD: 8/9/2012       #3: 4/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"