Baby Names

Erin?

Yesterday I posted about choosing between Cecilia and Cassidy.  DH decided he does really like Cecilia, but then he asked me what about Erin?  Erin is my middle name, and he said last night that he loves it, which I found to be really sweet.  My question is, is Erin too dated?  I have not seen it used much anymore, even though I do really like the name (though I'm obviously somewhat biased).
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Erin?

• I love Erin!  I don't think it's dated at all.  It's our #1 name choice right now.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Erin has always been one of my favorite names, but I know a couple to the point where it would be weird for me to use it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I love Erin! The only Erins I know are around my age (so born in late 80's), but I don't know if that makes it dated.
  • I think the name Erin is lovely and timeless!  I also like Cecelia :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love it, and I don't see it as dated! But then, it's my middle name too, so I might be biased :) 
    FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Love it!

• Definitely not. Erin is a gorgeous name that is sadly, very underused. I vote yes!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love Erin.  Not too dated at all IMO.  I will consider it if we ever have another.
  • Thank you so much for your feedback, everyone! I really do think I love it, too :)
  • imageJoy2611:
    I love Erin.nbsp; I think it's lovely.nbsp; Dated?nbsp; No.nbsp; Not in my world.nbsp;

Agree.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know a ton of Erins, all in their 30s/born late 70s. Maybe it is coming back? I don't know any kids with this name.
    Birthday

• I'm a child of the 70s and went to Catholic school, so to me it is dated and way overused by my generation. But it is a great name. I really like the flow of Cecilia Erin.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I think Erin Cecelia sounds lovely.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• imagequeenbone:
    I'm a child of the 70s and went to Catholic school, so to me it is dated and way overused by my generation. But it is a great name. I really like the flow of Cecilia Erin.
    This.

It's just ok, nothing exciting. There are far worse names.

• I like Cecelia far better than Erin.  Erin is just an ok name, I wouldn't really consider it dated, I just don't think it's very pretty.  For me I think it's the Aaron/Erin issue.  Even though Erin is feminine, it feels very boyish. 

DD 9/2/13

• Dated is the last thing I think. Gladys, that shi is dated.

• Lovely, and I don't think it's dated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Love Erin and don't think it is dated - ESPECIALLY compared to many of the names that folks are constantly giving as suggestion on this board.
  • Erin is a great name. I don't know what you mean by dated. When I think of dated I think of Helen and Bertha, not Erin!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Definitely not dated. I think it is a nice, classic name. And not used as frequently anymore, which is a definite plus! And a really nice connection with it being your mn!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's okay, I prefer Cecilia. Although, Erin Cecilia has a nice ring to itWink
  • I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but Erin, however nice it is, is not a classic name. It is literally a place name meaning Ireland and wasn't in use until the middle of the last century. I believe it's popularity was inspired by ethnic pride and in celebration of the newly formed Irish free state. Then it peaked in 1983, and has fallen steadily since then. That means it had a definite trendiness during a short period of time which is why I consider it to be dated.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't use it as a FN now, it has special meaning to you and is a nice name.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I love the name Erin. I know a lot of people have issue with spelling names differently but I also really like it spelled Aeryn. I suggested this by hubby vetoed the name altogether. 
  • imageAnnieBN:
    It's okay, I prefer Cecilia. Although, Erin Cecilia has a nice ring to itWink

I'm really loving Erin Cecilia as well Smile

• I hope you don't take offense, but I don't like the name Erin, and yes it's dated, IMO. It's always seemed very plain to me. I MUCH prefer Cecelia and Cassidy/Cassandra.
  • imagequeenbone:

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but Erin, however nice it is, is not a classic name. It is literally a place name meaning Ireland and wasn't in use until the middle of the last century. I believe it's popularity was inspired by ethnic pride and in celebration of the newly formed Irish free state. Then it peaked in 1983, and has fallen steadily since then. That means it had a definite trendiness during a short period of time which is why I consider it to be dated.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't use it as a FN now, it has special meaning to you and is a nice name.

The bolded exactly. I think people are sometimes confused about the definitions of 'trendy', 'classic' and 'dated'. This is a good explanation and why I said that Erin was dated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"