October 2011 Moms

Frozen dinner help **WARNING loss mentioned**

Long story short, my sister's best friend lost her 8 year old little girl in a tragic snow tubing accident on Sunday.  My sister is not handling it well at all (and to be honest, I have been struggling as well, but not like my sister). 

I want to make dinner for my sister and her family because I know cooking is the last thing my sister wants to do right now.  I was thinking about making something and freezing it so they could just pull it out and heat it when they want/need it. 

I know we have several people (Papps!) who are frozen meal experts, so I need your input.

My plan was to make enchilladas and rice.  Should I make them like normal, with sauce and all, and then freeze it when I am done?  Would it be ok to put rice on the bottom or inside the enchilladas?  I usually do rice on the side, but I don't know if freezing rice by itself makes sense? 

What would all you experts do? 

ETA a warning in post title

Married 08/18/07
BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Frozen dinner help **WARNING loss mentioned**

• I am so sorry for such a tremendous loss!  I don't have any dinner ideas but my heart is breaking.  You guys will all be in my T&P's.
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Thanks Super and Penny. 

It is just so sad.  I just don't even know what to say or do and wish that there was somthing that i could do to ease the pain for both my sister and their family. 

I won't go into more details because it is really really upsetting, but if any of you could spare some T&P, I would really appreciate it.  This poor family needs it. 

Married 08/18/07

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • How incredibly sad. Many prayers for their family and yours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm no cooking expert, but I will certainly keep you, your sister and that family in my thoughts and prayers.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagebtsrc5:

Thanks Super and Penny. 

It is just so sad.  I just don't even know what to say or do and wish that there was somthing that i could do to ease the pain for both my sister and their family. 

I won't go into more details because it is really really upsetting, but if any of you could spare some T&P, I would really appreciate it.  This poor family needs it. 

I know. The thought of losing one of my children makes me want to heave.  After a certain age you still worry for them but you really don't think something innocent as sledding would end so tragically.  I don't know what more you can do but be there, and take away the message to love every minute with our families, they truly are a gift.  

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Oh my goodness. I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what that family must be going through... This story makes me incredibly sad.

As far as the food goes I think Super's way will work just fine. Does your sister have kids? You might consider picking up some snacks to stock her up with. Granola bars, yogurt, string cheese, crackers etc. Just some easy stuff she can have on hand that doesn't take any prep. 

My dad had cancer a few years ago and some people from my parent's old church would bring them stuff like that. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but they really did appreciate it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow, I couldn't even imagine the pain they are going through. They will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

As for freezer meals, after I had DD my mom stocked my freezer with lasagna, eggplant parm, chicken parm, & stuffed shells (all homemade that she froze). Can you tell I'm Italian ?!?! Stick out tongue

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • imageLatteLady5:

As far as the food goes I think Super's way will work just fine. Does your sister have kids? You might consider picking up some snacks to stock her up with. Granola bars, yogurt, string cheese, crackers etc. Just some easy stuff she can have on hand that doesn't take any prep. 

Thanks for the idea.  I will get some snack items as well.  She has three little girls, two of whom were best friends with this family's two little girls  :( 

Married 08/18/07

BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm so sorry to hear such a horrible loss.  Much love to you and your friend.  I would recommend a breakfast casserole of some sort.  A lot of people make dinner dishes, so sometimes it's nice to have breakfast taken care of too. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagemissyleaferg:
    I'm so sorry to hear such a horrible loss.  Much love to you and your friend.  I would recommend a breakfast casserole of some sort.  A lot of people make dinner dishes, so sometimes it's nice to have breakfast taken care of too. 

good idea

Married 08/18/07

BabyFetus Ticker

• I am terribly sorry for your sister's friend's loss. I can't imagine how tough that must be.

For ryou food question,  I usually make double of things like enchiladas when  we are having them for dinner and I bake both pans full and then freeze them once they are cool so they just have to be heated through the next time. Maybe you could just buy those packages of rice that are already cooked at only need 90 sec in the microwave.

Other freezer meals I make include:

-Chicken Divan

Cube chicken breast and brown in pan, put chicken and broccoli spears in a  pan and cover with a mix of cream of chicken soup, sour cream or greek yogurt, black pepper, curry powder and a little salt. Mix some bread crumbs with a little melted butter and shredded cheddar cheese and put over the top. This can also be cooked ahead of time and then frozen. bake at 350 until brown and bubbly.

-Soup and bread

- All the ingredients for a crock pot meal that could just be dumped in and turned on.

• I am no help when it comes to cooking/freezing meals.. DH is the chef in this house, but I just wanted to say that I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I hope your sister and her friend's family are able to find strength during this difficult time.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That is just horrible and I can't imagine the grief they are going through. I will keep everyone, including your sister, in my T&Ps.

I have made an enchilada casserole before when my cousin was in the  hospital. I cook the chicken and the sauce separately, then I assembled everything in a disposable pan, then I froze it down. I have never put rice in it so I have no idea how it would hold up.

I have also made baked ziti for my friend. I boil the pasta and make the meat sauce, assemble, add cheese, then freeze.

Both have worked well and re-heat easily. I would probably add some extra sauce to both though so they don't dry out while cooking.

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am so, so sorry.  I cannot imagine. Your friend and family will be in my thoughts. 

The topic of freezing meals came up this week in the LGBT group and someone said this sites was great.  There is a free section and a membership section.

https://onceamonthmom.com/menus/whole-foods/

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate it

Married 08/18/07

BabyFetus Ticker

• I also wanted to add a prepared meat is always nice, so they can freeze and use as needed with other dishes. I'm thinking BBQ pulled pork or some sloppy joes.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"