August 2011 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Because I actually thought of one :D
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: UO Thursday

• Options

(XP from my other BMB)

(This UO brought to you by the not-so-subtle comments I've been getting while house shopping.)

I would rather spend more money on a house that is closer to work than save a few thousand dollars by adding to my commute. All within reasonable limits, of course.

I don't know, my rationale makes a lot of sense to me but it seems pretty unpopular with some people:

Say you can save $20K on a house by adding a total of one hour to your daily commute. Assuming you make $15/hr, that's $75/week you are potentially losing (because it's still time you spend out of the house for work, but you're not getting paid for it). That adds up to close to $4 000 a year.

And that is only considering one person. If the move also affects your SO's commute in the same way, that $4000 becomes $8000. That's on top of the extra mileage/gas/maintenance you will put on your car. You might even end up spending more for daycare. In other words, your "savings" will come down to nothing after a few years. That and you can't get that time back with your family.

That's how DH and I see it anyways.

(By the way, those figures are made up - no way I'm sharing my actual salary on the interwebs!) 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

(XP from my other BMB)

(This UO brought to you by the not-so-subtle comments I've been getting while house shopping.)

I would rather spend more money on a house that is closer to work than save a few thousand dollars by adding to my commute. All within reasonable limits, of course.

I don't know, my rationale makes a lot of sense to me but it seems pretty unpopular with some people:

Say you can save $20K on a house by adding a total of one hour to your daily commute. Assuming you make $15/hr, that's $75/week you are potentially losing (because it's still time you spend out of the house for work, but you're not getting paid for it). That adds up to close to $4 000 a year.

And that is only considering one person. If the move also affects your SO's commute in the same way, that $4000 becomes $8000. That's on top of the extra mileage/gas/maintenance you will put on your car. You might even end up spending more for daycare. In other words, your "savings" will come down to nothing after a few years. That and you can't get that time back with your family.

That's how DH and I see it anyways.

(By the way, those figures are made up - no way I'm sharing my actual salary on the interwebs!) 

That makes complete sense to me! 

Olivia June BFP 12/26/10 EDD 09/01/11 Birthday 08/02/11

BFP 12/25/12 EDD 09/06/13 M/C, 01/02/13

BFP 01/28/13 EDD 10/08/13 STICK BABY!

Pregnancy Ticker

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12

• Loading the player...
  • Options

This may be flame full as well,

I get tired of the whole FF/RF carseat debate. I 100% understand the dangers. I do press some other moms about correctly installing carseats and buckling Los but I'm over the ff/rf debate. We turned Lj at 14 months because that is what worked best for us ( and no, it was not based on convenience). She met all the requirements, the seat is properly installed and she is always buckled in the right way. 

Fwiw, my brother and dad are both emergency medical staff. They both have witnessed internal decapitations in small children. In the cases they have seen, everything came down to buckle placement and the children being in seats not designed for their weight/ height.  

Olivia June BFP 12/26/10 EDD 09/01/11 Birthday 08/02/11

BFP 12/25/12 EDD 09/06/13 M/C, 01/02/13

BFP 01/28/13 EDD 10/08/13 STICK BABY!

Pregnancy Ticker

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12

• Options
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    XP from my other BMBThis UO brought to you by the notsosubtle comments I've been getting while house shopping.I would rather spend more money on a house that is closer to work than save a few thousand dollars by adding to my commute. All within reasonable limits, of course.I don't know, my rationale makes a lot of sense to me but it seems pretty unpopular with some people:Say you can save 20K on a house by adding a total of one hour to your daily commute. Assuming you make 15/hr, that's 75/week you are potentially losing because it's still time you spend out of the house for work, but you're not getting paid for it. That adds up to close to 4 000 a year.And that is only considering one person. If the move also affects your SO's commute in the same way, that 4000 becomes 8000. That's on top of the extra mileage/gas/maintenance you will put on your car. You might even end up spending more for daycare. In other words, your "savings" will come down to nothing after a few years. That and you can't get that time back with your family.That's how DH and I see it anyways.By the way, those figures are made up no way I'm sharing my actual salary on the interwebs!nbsp;

I feel the opposite of this. However, my reasoning would not be based so much on the financial aspect of it. We chose to live 45 minutes from our places of work, before I SAH. Our rationale was more that we wanted to live where we loved and wanted to live. We love our area and our families and friends are close. In 10 years we may be working for different companies but plan to still live in our house. Does that make sense?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"