Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Anyone have Implanon or Mirena? Need advice..

Hi ladies,

I'm currently breastfeeding - I know I can have Mirena, and I'm pretty sure Implanon as well. Anyone have experience with either? 

Does it lower supply at all? Any other side-effects/concerns?

I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of either. I'd rather my husband or I get fixed permanently, but he's not on board with it. :( 

Also - I'm currently on the mini pill, but I've heard it isn't too reliable?  

TIA! 

Re: Anyone have Implanon or Mirena? Need advice..

• Options

I've had the Mirena since I was about 7 weeks PP, and before I got pregnant, I had it for 3 years.  I've never had any side effects or issues, I love it.  I don't have periods and I don't have any PMS symptoms or migraines like I always did when I was on the pill.  I EP and my supply was not affected, I pump about 30oz a day.

I have read posts where people had problems with the Mirena, so obviously every person is different.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm have Mirena. For the most part I like it. I've been on the mini-pill and depo before and Mirena is easier than the mini-pill (nothing to remember) and doesn't seem to have as many side effects as depo.

If you are on the mini-pill now, mirena has the same hormone. So if you aren't experiencing a supply drop on the mini-pill, mirena should have a similar non-effect on you. Mini-pill is perfectly reliable, however, you need to be very precise about taking it every 24 hours on the dot. Being an hour late can put you at risk for pregnancy. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    you didn't ask about this, but I got the paraguard IUD.  It only has plastic and copper, but no hormones so it couldn't possibly affect your supply.  however i had a mirena between my two kids and never had a supply problem and breastfed for 2 years.  The thing i didn't like about mirena is that i didn't cycle as often...i don't find that very natural for the female body plus i am most sexually inclined when i ovulate so ovulating less put a big damper on my sex drive.  the paraguard doesn't affect my cycle at all.  some women may bleed heavier with it, but I haven't had that experience.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagekris_kelsey:
    you didn't ask about this, but I got the paraguard IUD.  It only has plastic and copper, but no hormones so it couldn't possibly affect your supply.  however i had a mirena between my two kids and never had a supply problem and breastfed for 2 years.  The thing i didn't like about mirena is that i didn't cycle as often...i don't find that very natural for the female body plus i am most sexually inclined when i ovulate so ovulating less put a big damper on my sex drive.  the paraguard doesn't affect my cycle at all.  some women may bleed heavier with it, but I haven't had that experience.

I have paraguard IUD too. I had Mirena for 2 years before I got pregnant and had a laundry list of side effects because of the hormones in it. I'm loving the paraguard so far. If you haven't had any side effects from the hormones in the mini pill, Mirena is probably a good choice for you. (I could never remember to take my pills on time, so either IUD is totally worry free!) :o)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebrennarobbie:

imagekris_kelsey:

I have paraguard IUD too. I had Mirena for 2 years before I got pregnant and had a laundry list of side effects because of the hormones in it. I'm loving the paraguard so far. If you haven't had any side effects from the hormones in the mini pill, Mirena is probably a good choice for you. (I could never remember to take my pills on time, so either IUD is totally worry free!) :o)

Thanks, ladies!

I have considered the Paraguard IUD - but when I asked my doctor about it she told me to stay away from it?! I was actually kind of shocked, because it was kind of refreshing to me that it was hormone free. I am on the mini pill now, and I have had a few side-effects but nothing too critical - just want something I don't have to worry about taking every day at the same time. I was on a combination pill (Aviane?) before I stopped and got pregnant, and it was awful. I had crazy mood swings, depression-like symptoms, and other weird things. I've never really liked the combination pills..

I feel like on the mini pill I can't seem to lose any weight though! Very strange. :( 

• Options
    imagehdine22:
    imagebrennarobbie:

imagekris_kelsey:

Thanks, ladies!

I have considered the Paraguard IUD - but when I asked my doctor about it she told me to stay away from it?! I was actually kind of shocked, because it was kind of refreshing to me that it was hormone free. I am on the mini pill now, and I have had a few side-effects but nothing too critical - just want something I don't have to worry about taking every day at the same time. I was on a combination pill (Aviane?) before I stopped and got pregnant, and it was awful. I had crazy mood swings, depression-like symptoms, and other weird things. I've never really liked the combination pills..

I feel like on the mini pill I can't seem to lose any weight though! Very strange. :( 

With the mini-pill and depo, I gained and had a lot of trouble losing weight. Most of my weightloss has occurred when I've been off of hormones. Not all women are like this, but I think that some of us are more sensitive to the hormone effects. I will say that on Mirena, I've not had any trouble losing the pregnancy weight (I'm back down to below pre-pregnancy weight). 

• Options
    I have Mirena - I didn't have any supply issues associated with it and I've continued to lose .5-1lb per week.  I will say that my drive is rather low though, but that could be the BFing too.  I had spotting at first but no real periods yet.

image   image

• Options

I had Mirena inserted on the 7th of January and so far I love it. I had been on the mini pill since 6 weeks postpartum and just didn't trust its reliability, and I was avoiding sex as a result. Because the mini pill had not affected my milk supply my doctor said I would probably be fine on Mirena, and I have not had any problems.

Insertion was so much easier than I was expecting. It pinched a bit and I felt pretty crampy that night. I spotted for about 24 hours afterward, then a week later had three days of heavier spotting that was almost like a light period (hell, maybe it was). Since then, nothing. I love not having to remember to take a pill at a certain time each day and love that I shouldn't need to do anything with it until we're ready to TTC #2. 

The only downside so far is that my husband has been able to feel the strings and doesn't care for that - I'll discuss with my doctor at the follow up exam next week, but it's not a huge deal so far.

• Options

In case you can't see my siggy I have two 18 months apart - if you are on the mini pill, take it at exactly the same time every day!! I'm debating mirena also...

• Options
    imagehoping4sticky:

In case you can't see my siggy I have two 18 months apart - if you are on the mini pill, take it at exactly the same time every day!! I'm debating mirena also...

Oh my! I've heard of this happening, that's why I'm debating different options as well. They're adorable though :)

I've heard you do have to take it at the EXACT same time every day, and I don't trust myself to continue doing it. I set a cell phone reminder for 6pm every day, but I just want something more simple/worry-free. I've done a ton of research online.. and I've come up with Mirena, Implanon, and the Nuva Ring.. but I don't really like the sounds of the Nuva Ring. So, I'll probably just try out the Mirena since it wouldn't be a shock to my system with hormones (and now that it's covered under my insurance - yay!) 

Thanks for the reviews/advice! 

• Options
    I've had the Mirena for just over 4 months. I have had a ton of side effects, and I'm never sure if it's just post-baby adjustments or from the Mirena. I developed a huge ovarian cyst a couple weeks after it was placed. With the exception of maybe a few weeks, I have spotted or bled heavily the whole time. 

I hadn't been on BC pills for several years, so a lot of my issues might be my body adjusting to the hormones. I have frequent cramping and headaches since I've had it. I keep waiting for the side effects to improve because it's so much more convenient than other BC options. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I got Mirena at my 6 wk pp visit. I LOVE it! I don't have to worry about anything! No breastfeeding supply issues either. There are two downsides that you might want to be aware of before you get it. You can spot for up to 6 months after insertion. My doctor said that length of time is rare but it can happen. I had spotting for about 2 months afterward which was super annoying but not as hard as a second pregnancy would have been :) The second thing is that the wire (doctor calls it a string but its a wire) that hangs out has to be trimmed just right. Mine was too long and would poke poor hubby and it would poke me too. Got it trimmed and its much better now.

I considered implanon but had so many problems with horomone levels in BC pills that I wasn't excited about the idea of implanting a horomone stick in my arm. But the mirena has such a low level that I feel ok about it and haven't had any issues. Still losing weight about .5 lbs a week (not exercising or special diet).

• Options

imagePhantomPower:
    I've had the Mirena for just over 4 months. I have had a ton of side effects, and I'm never sure if it's just post-baby adjustments or from the Mirena. I developed a huge ovarian cyst a couple weeks after it was placed. With the exception of maybe a few weeks, I have spotted or bled heavily the whole time. 

I hadn't been on BC pills for several years, so a lot of my issues might be my body adjusting to the hormones. I have frequent cramping and headaches since I've had it. I keep waiting for the side effects to improve because it's so much more convenient than other BC options. 

I'm being nosy, so please excuse me, but I had a similar experience with Mirena. Just wanted to let you know that I had Mirena switched for Paraguard, and my life has been SOOO much better! I'm luck in that my insurance covers both, so it only cost me a regular office visit copay to have them put in. If you are covered and don't want those awful side effects, you may want to consider the Paraguard. It's the same thing except with no hormones and your period acts like it does without BC. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"