Nurseries and Baby Gear

IKEA Gulliver items

Hey everyone, 

I just want some opinions here. I'm considering purchasing the Gulliver change table and the crib. Of course, I only saw it on the internet. We'll be going to IKEA over the next several weeks, and I'll want to see the item for myself and make my own judgment. We probably won't pick it up until much later - unless I get impatient. :) It's all just a process. I'm early in the second trimester so there's no rush as of yet. It's just something I'm leaning heavily towards at this moment in time. 

I would like to know your opinions if any of you have used these items. I've seen more expensive cribs at specialty baby stores, but those stores are *always* more expensive and I don't know whether it translates well in terms of durability and safety. I have much to learn still...

Ideally, I'd like a crib that'll last through to any subsequent children we have. I'll feel very good about it if it lasts at least 3 years.  

Thank you. 

Re: IKEA Gulliver items

• We have the gulliver crib and changing table and like them a lot. DD is 16 months and we've been using both since she was born. I liked that the crib was low to the ground, it made it easy to change sheets. The price is great too. I had no desire to get some fancy convertible crib that becomes a full size bed. The crib comes with the board to convert it to a toddler bed and ikea sells an additional bed rail that fits on the board.
    The changing table is nice. I know some people don't like changing tables, but it has worked well for us. I have a clear plastic diaper caddy the hangs on the side to hold wipes and diapers. The only downside to the changing table is that it has a 25lb weight limit. DD is 22lbs so I still have some time, but it might be an issue for a bigger baby. Also, I used the changing pad that ikea sells and it's been totally fine. I was concerned at first that it was small, but it hasn't been a problem.
  • imagecast920:
    We have the gulliver crib and changing table and like them a lot. DD is 16 months and we've been using both since she was born. I liked that the crib was low to the ground, it made it easy to change sheets. The price is great too. I had no desire to get some fancy convertible crib that becomes a full size bed. The crib comes with the board to convert it to a toddler bed and ikea sells an additional bed rail that fits on the board. The changing table is nice. I know some people don't like changing tables, but it has worked well for us. I have a clear plastic diaper caddy the hangs on the side to hold wipes and diapers. The only downside to the changing table is that it has a 25lb weight limit. DD is 22lbs so I still have some time, but it might be an issue for a bigger baby. Also, I used the changing pad that ikea sells and it's been totally fine. I was concerned at first that it was small, but it hasn't been a problem.

This. Our son is actually a little over the weight limit (and wayyy over height) and we still use it on occasion. It depends on how wiggly of a day that we're having. I don't really care for the Ikea pad (although I do use it on the floor) so I bought a better one for the table. All in all, though, for the price, it's perfect. These are definitely not items that you have to use for a long time so if you like to switch furniture (like I do!), it's a great option.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We have two Gulliver cribs and have been really happy with them.  They have held up beautifully to the abuse my boys have inflicted on them.  We use our washer and dryer as a changing table so I'm no help there.
  • We have the Gulliver crib and it's still good as new. We used it for 20 months and my 8 month old niece is currently using it.

We actually intended to get the cheaper IKEA crib but when we got there, the Gulliver looked so much nicer and better quality that we ultimately decided on that one instead.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsveinotte:
    Were getting the Gulliver crib and the Hemmes dresser to use as changing table.The price of Ikea cribs is WAY better then anywhere even walmart The safety standards are the same. The Ikea cribs don't look super fancy or anything, but they have a nice sleek look to them. nbsp;Also the price means I can buy more decor for room if I want or outfits/CDs which is more fun to buy then a cribnbsp;

This and we love both. Now that dd is super wiggly during changes, I appreciate the extra surface to change her on.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• We have the IKEA Gulliver crib in birch and we love it. Baby's not here yet, but we have assembled it and it seems very solid, and I love the sleek and simple look. We bought a KOPPANG dresser and the HEMNES changing table top to use for changing.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"