Multiples
Options

35 weeks/IUGR update

At my 35 week MFM growth scan appointment this morning the doctor decided that they don't think it's a good idea to keep the babies in longer than 36 weeks. Tomorrow they will give us the scheduled C-Section date and Saturday we need to go to L&D for another BPP/NST (they don't feel comfortable not monitoring them until Monday). 

They didn't give us the percentages but baby A is 4lbs and baby B almost 5lbs, and they unfortunately have not grown much over the past 3 weeks - less than 1/2 lb each.

So, since my goal date was obviously not 36 weeks, any success stories with IUGR and minimal NICU time? Any questions/possible complications that I should mention at my appointment tomorrow?

Thanks ladies! 

photo image-3.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 35 weeks/IUGR update

• Options
    I had my boys at 37 weeks 1 day. My baby A was not growing as fast as baby B MFM wasn't comfortable with it so they scheduled an induction. Granted that is 1 week further along than your babies but if I remember correctly, at my last anatomy scan which was st 36 werks, they estimated Baby A at less than 5 pounds baby B at just over 5 pounds. They were born weighing 5 pounds 4 oz baby A 5 pounds 11 oz baby B. My MFM told me their scans can be wrong by a half ounce margin of error which was just about right. My baby A had to spend a few days in the special care nursery for low blood sugar but once we were discharged, we haven't had any other issues! They are healthy 6 month old babies now! :
    I was determined they wouldn't have to go to the NICU it was very hard to have even 1 of them away from me. But at this point, it seems like a distant memory since they are healthy now I couldn't be more blessed!
    I hope your babies are as healthy as mine were! Thoughts prayers for you all!!
  • Options

Our last growth scan was at 34w. At that time, the EFWs were 4lbs., 1oz. and 4lbs., 2oz. and they were given the IUGR dx due to their abdominal circs and femur lengths (in the first and second percentiles). I spent the next two weeks eating all the protein I could while on bed rest. I went into spontaneous labor at 36w1d. Our boys were just under 5lbs., but the hospital neonatologist said those weights were inflated by the massive amount of fluid I was given before and during my c/s. At delivery, the neonatologists examined the boys and continued to follow them through their stay. However, they were never in the NICU and came home with us four days after birth. At discharge, both were 4 lbs., 8oz. In the hospital, they did have some issues regulating their temperatures and with nursing, but they haven't had any serious issues related to their prematurity since coming home (still very poor nursers and reflux). We have also had to supplement with preemie formula, 2x/day. At four months, they've nearly tripled their birth weight =).

At your appointment, I would ask about NICU admission requirements. For example, our NICU seems to have a lower mandated weight requirement than some, so my boys were able to be with me, despite being less than five pounds. Also, I would ask about any other testing they may have to do because of their weights or prematurity. Our boys had to do the car seat challenge because they were (1) born before 37w and (2) under five pounds. They also had to have frequent blood draws for sugar levels. 

Best of luck with your delivery. Fingers crossed for some great weights and an uneventful hospital stay (with little to no NICU time!). 

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had our b/g twins at 36w3d with an iugr dx in twin 1. She was born at 4 lbs 2 oz and baby boy was 6 lbs. neither twin spent any nicu time they stayed with us the entire time. What our mfm said proved true. Better to have smaller babies at 36 weeks than bigger babies at 32 or 33. It's not their size. It's oxygen levels, weight gain etc. best wishes to you!! I know it's stressful but hang in there....
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Options
    At 35w4d my Baby B was estimated to be under the 10th percentile and 24 percent smaller than Baby A. They were delivered that day and each baby was actually almost a full pound bigger at birth. They spent 4 days in the SCN but have been overall healthy and perfect.

Good luck! 36 weeks is a great place to be....sending prayers for a safe delivery and healthy LOs!
  • Options

I had my girls at 36w3d. No NICU time. My smaller one (who was shunting blood to her brain due to compromised cord flow) was 4.13 and her sister was 6.2.They just turned one and are healthy and thriving.

Best wishes for you and your babies! 36 weekers typically do very well.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Options
    I don't have experience, but I want to send you and the babies tons of well wishes and good luck!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options

Thanks everyone! 

They scheduled the c-section for Wednesday February 6th (exactly 36 weeks).

All of your stories make me feel a lot better about the situation. 

photo image-3.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had my girls at 34 weeks because Baby A had stopped growing at about 27 weeks. She was born weighing 2 lbs. 9 oz. and B was 4.14. Both spend about a week and a half in the NICU but were pretty healthy other than size and learning to eat through a bottle. There were no other complications thankfully. And 6 months later my 2 lb. baby is now 11 lbs. : best of luck to you!
  • Options

I'm a lurker and not a mom of twins, so please ignore me if this doesn't apply!

I had my son at 36 weeks 2 days due to IUGR.  He was 5 pounds and 3 oz and didn't require any NICU time. (I did receive the steroid shots at 29 weeks thought) 

His biggest struggles were definitely eating so be prepared to put in some work if you are wanting to BF.  Also, he did have pretty bad jaundice which required about 4 days on the biliblanket (at home).  

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"