December 2012 Moms
Options

Weight loss too fast?

I had my baby girl on 12/14. That will be 7 weeks on Friday. I'm already below my prepregnancy weight by about 3 lbs. I've been having difficulty bf and its been a long rough 7 weeks. I feel like I'm eating a lot but I'm wondering if its possible to lose weight too quickly? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I want to make sure that's not what's interfering with bfing. I'm not exercising yet, who the hell has time for that with a 7 week old who is always hungry lol, unless of course you count all of the bouncing and squats I do with baby lol
Lilypie Maternity tickers
DD#1 December '12
DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
Married 07/09

Re: Weight loss too fast?

• Options
    BFing can be great with weight loss. However, you need to be eating a ton more calories and lots of water to keep your supply up. I would say you probably need to your calories, However, most pregnancy weight is usually water weight as well.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I don't know how much you mean by too much, but if it helps I lost 30 lbs in 4 weeks right after DS was born. Now I'm down to my PP weight, and I had gained 36 lbs total in pregnancy. 

Like Nana said, BFing can really help the weight come off fast. I was eating MORE in those weeks (more regular meals, etc) that I was losing weight quickly, and drinking tons of water.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I lost 40lbs in 3 weeks. I, too, was concerned about it affecting breastfeeding. Everyone assured me that the baby would get what he needs and any negative result would be to my own detriment rapid weight loss, etc and not to his.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Within 10 days I had lost 20lb. I still have about 40 to go. I hit a standstill after that and my baby is 6 weeks old. I think I just eat too much junk.
    IMG_4940vin-1-1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How much did you gain?  I only gained 12 pounds during my pregnancy, so we were pretty sure I was losing "me" weight while gaining baby weight. I'm now 14 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight at almost 6 weeks, and I've been eating a lot of sweets!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagevaleriegp:
    How much did you gain? nbsp;I only gained 12 pounds during my pregnancy, so we were pretty sure I was losing "me" weight while gaining baby weight. I'm now 14 pounds below my prepregnancy weight at almost 6 weeks, and I've been eating a lot of sweets!

I was actually going to ask my dr today at my postpartum apt what my last weight was. I saw her two days before I went into labor. I think I gained 30 something.
    Ill try eating more, I'm mostly worried about breastfeeding being affected.
    So many people kept telling me they couldn't believe I had a 4 week old, 3 wks ago, but I didn't know if they were just trying to be nice. Lol
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options

I think it's definitely a possibility that your weight loss is affecting breastfeeding.  My DD is 6 weeks, and at my 2 week PP appointment I was about 4 lbs away from prepregnancy weight. Although I've had no problems with breastfeeding, my midwife was concerned with how quickly I had lost weight. As she says, it takes more calories to feed a baby than to grow a baby.  According to her, bfing can burn 500 to 1,200 calories a day. Perhaps you're one of those people that burns closer to 1,200. 

I've given myself a free pass on chocolate eating in order to keep up my caloric intake.  Can't complain about that :) Try upping your calories, it might help. 

• Options
    I lost my weight quickly too. 30 lbs. I struggle to eat enough. At birth my doctor said to keep taking prenatal vitamins to help improve the quality of milk.
  • Options
    I lost all my weight save the last few pounds within 2 weeks.  Definitely make sure you're drinking lots of water to help keep up your supply and eat, eat eat!  I tend to forget meals and that's counter productive right now.  Don't stress about it and go with your body's cues.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

• Options
    I gained 12 lbs when pregnant and lost it all plus a couple pounds by 2 weeks PP. I'm now down 17 lbs from pre pregnancy, just shy of 30 lbs total. I guess if you're concerned, eat more. I only eat 1500 to 1700 calories a day because I'm trying to lose weight, I'll up it once I'm cleared for exercise and do more. I haven't had any issues with supply and I think I'm one of the unlucky ones that BFing doesn't burn a ton of calories a day.
    Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • Options
    I gained 50 pounds during pregnancy and at 9 days pp I had lost 40 pounds and had no issues with supply at all. I would do exactly what PPs have said and that is to eat a lot of calories, as in no dieting and eating when you are hungry, and to drink a lot of water. I do notice that the more water I drink the more I am able to pump (I am EPing) so that really plays a part in it. I don't think you can lose weight too fast if you aren't dieting and it is just you body naturally shedding the weight from pregnancy.
  • Options
    I think it's pretty normal to lose a lot of weight when bfing. Like a lot of the women posted, I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks. 20Lbs from pregnancy. and another 10lbs extra putting me 10 lighter than i was pre pregnancy!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary photo 09a19b84-ff26-4a5d-8334-d53d5b67861d_zps1875aa4a.jpg photo 23150a8a-e416-48cd-ac19-ec0eeb7aaac0_zpsf9de68c0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"