Adoption
Options

SS# Question

I read the recent post about this but when I went to submit for an ATIN, the website said to make sure I couldn't get the SS# first.  So I decided to call the social security office and they said that they thought I could bring my adoption decree and the original birth certificate into the local SS office and they will probably give me DD's SS card, but she wasn't sure.  The office has horrible hours and is a little bit of a drive from my house, so I'd like to know before I go in..unfortunately, when I called the local office's number, it directed me back to the original person I spoke with.

Do any of you know if this will work?  Have you tried this?

TIA! 

Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: SS# Question

• Options

imageSpooko:
    We never had DS' original social. When we finalized the adoption and went to the SS office to officially change his name there, there was an option of getting an entirely new one issued. So that's what we did.

What did you have to take with you to get the new one issues?

Thanks! 

Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    IRRIRR member
    I think because your adoption has been finalized you can get a SS# and you won't need the ATIN. The ATIN is only if your adoption hasn't been finalized by the time you need to file taxes. That being said, I think you should go the the SS office and bring a book. I have had long waits there and some short ones. I remember changing my name when I got married and I think I felt lucky getting in and out of there in an hour. GL.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I went in October all the documentation I had was the placement document.  They gave me a print out of the original/current SS#.  I was told I had to wait until finalization to receive a new one.  They didn't tell me if I needed a final birth certificate, I think I only need the finalization papers.  Here getting the new birth certificate will take ~4-6 months.
    Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • Options

We had DD's original SS card. We took it and the adoption decree to the SS office, and 10 minutes later she had it updated to her new name.

HTH

• Options
    We are still using the ATIN number (good for 2 yrs) becasue we don't have the revised birth certificate with his legal name on it yet.  Plus my accountant (aka  - Mom) told me to wait on getting the SSN at this point since the ATIN is still good for this tax season.  If I do it too close to filing our taxes, the numbers won't match up.  At any rate, it's the revised birth certificate that we are still waiting on.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options

imageSpooko:
    We never had DS' original social. When we finalized the adoption and went to the SS office to officially change his name there, there was an option of getting an entirely new one issued. So that's what we did.

I wish that I could have changed my boys numbers. When I went in I had to have a copy of the new birth certificate. My local office would not take the adoption decree. They would also not allow me to change thier SS# because they were receiving benefits at the time. I need to go and fight it, as I have been told on this board. However, with the legal aspects being done and the legal battle over, I find myself weary at the thought of another legal battle.

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"