September 2011 Moms
Options

Baby blankets?

What do you ladies do with all of them? I have a drawer full of them.

When DD was little, I would put them on the floor for her to lay on, but now I don't really use them anymore. And despite never buying one, I have quite the collection and I'm at a loss of what to do with them.

Also, they are mainly pink, which doesn't go with our decor in the nursery or her big girl room.

Any ideas? Since they're pretty much all gifts, I feel bad cutting them up and using them for diaper wipes or something...but I'm open to suggestions.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Baby blankets?

• Options
    I cut some of Coles up and made them into a big quilt he loves it when he's not feeling well and just wants to lay around and I think it will be more of a hit when he's older and wants to have a blanket on the couch and so on since it's alot bigger than the rest of his blankets.

A friend of mine also kept some of the smaller ones for when her daughter was older and likes playing with dolls and things like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have the same question.  I, too, have a drawer full of blankets.  5 or 6 were handmade for LO, one was mine as a baby, and a dozen more are just regular receiving blankets and I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them.  I figure for very long term, I'll only keep the ones handmade for him.  We only use one in his crib at night and the rest just sit in the drawer...
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Right now he has 2 in his crib.  One knit one that he LOVES, and must have to go to sleep at home.  The other is a small, but heavier one that we put over him on colder nights. 

I keep a receiving blanket in my car, and in DHs.  They come in handy for spills, as a quick sunshade while traveling (roll it up with the window), etc. 

Other than that, we don't have too many.  If it's mostly receiving blankets, you could do a ruffle quilt if you can sew straight lines.  If it's nicer blankets, I'd just hang on to them for now.

ETA: ruffle quilt

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think I will only keep the special ones--the ones that were made for her.  After that, I will probably pack them away unless this LO is a girl.  If it is a boy, we will pack up for a couple years until we decide if we will have another again.  If not, we will have a garage sale or donate.  Or if anyone we know has a girl we would give them to them.

• Options
    I have saved them so far. I use the receiving blankets on the changing table pad. Seems like every time he is poopy he tries to escape, leaving skid marks!
    Some for baby dolls.
    And some for a soft landing spot when jumping off of things.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I don't have as many as you, but I have 2 my mom made for her, one she sleeps with the other is gigantic and is a circle so she can play on it and then it has a ribbon I can pull that will collect all the toys in. She has my baby blanket, the one that matches her crib stuff and one we got at the baby shower. I have a medium size tote in her room that sits on the floor where I keep the blankets. I'm thinking she will probably play with them later. Like for wrapping up baby dolls making forts or whatever. 
    oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

For now, I'm holding onto them in case we have a 3rd baby. Once we're sure we're done, I'll keep the sentimental ones (the ones they come home from the hospital wrapped in, the ones they sleep with every night, and the one they were baptized with - which so far totals 5 blankets between the two of them). The rest will get passed along to my sisters when they have kids or donated.

We were given a few blankets barely big enough to wrap up even my itty bitty 6 pounders, so those I've just given to the girls for their baby dolls. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

It seems like most of ours are handmade so I guess I'll just keep them. Most of them are decent sized so they can be used as throw blanket on her bed.

I specifically crocheted one that isn't "babyish" so that she can use it in her room when she gets older. 

I did use a fleece one to sew her a blanket sleeper a few months ago.

There are plans all over pinterest for simple pajama pants, you could use a couple for that. 

• Options

imagenortherngirl11:
    I cut some of Coles up and made them into a big quilt he loves it when he's not feeling well and just wants to lay around and I think it will be more of a hit when he's older and wants to have a blanket on the couch and so on since it's alot bigger than the rest of his blankets.

A friend of mine also kept some of the smaller ones for when her daughter was older and likes playing with dolls and things like that.

I love this idea! We also have a crap ton of them. Wonder if I can enlist someone to help, who actually knows how to sew?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'll take any and all you'd like to get rid of :)
  • Options

imageExpectantSteelerFan:
    I gave some away, I saved a few to use on the changing pad, and I saved 2 for dd to use with babydolls.  Oh, and I did cut a few up to make play wipes for dd to use in an empty wipes container.  But yeah, the rest I gave away (I had tons)

I love this idea. Off to cut up a few receiving blankets :) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"